Hawker Persian Fury marking puzzle

Patrik

Hardly any collection of Hawker Fury profiles (in my collection starting with THE Profile) fails including (in one form or another) the attractive Persian Mercury Fury marking with the red accessories and lion's head. However, I have never seen photo confirming its authenticity. Can someone help here?

20210515-DSC-0033.jpg

There is a photo of 203 in the Putnam's Hawker Aircraft, but it shows it without the red trim and lion's head.  However this appear to be (almost certainly is) a company photo taken in the UK, so almost anything could have been added in service.  The other markings match.

The silver doped Persian Furies are well documented, both Hornet and Mercury versions. I am interested particularly in No. 203 with the sand coloured upper surfaces as depicted by the profile above. I would be glad to find out, if the marking was based on real photographic evidence.

Edited by Patrik

I've been trying to find a photo of that scheme for years with no success, which is a shame because it's a really attractive scheme.

The closest I came was this line-up of Persian Furies which appears to show colour applied to the wheel covers which isn't present in the company photos.  

spacer.png

If I squint really hard, I can almost make myself believe that the 6th aircraft from left might have a divided scheme with a different colour applied to the upper fuselage compared to the sliver bottom half of the fuselage...but I have no doubt that it's only shadow and that the aircraft, in reality, were overall silver. :(

• Thanks 1

I was afraid so. And I am also afraid one must be a true believer to spot some difference of the 6th airplane.😉 The coloured wheel covers are nevertheless interesting observation.

I was told that the sand upper surfaces were most probably used later in the service, around the time of the Anglo-Soviet invasion in summer 1941.

Please note , that the roundel is badly presented 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Patrik said:

Hardly any collection of Hawker Fury profiles (in my collection starting with THE Profile) fails including (in one form or another) the attractive Persian Mercury Fury marking with the red accessories and lion's head. However, I have never seen photo confirming its authenticity. Can someone help here?

20210515-DSC-0033.jpg

Iranian roundel is from outside green, white red... Like here

WfTwSDOvYhfmjzczRL8xaUny2cS4Me6wpQunW-wE

I believe that machines were painted sand close to Anglo-Soviet invasion or right during it. I made mine both Fury and radial Audax under  such assumption.  

Regards

J-W

20 hours ago, JWM said:

Please note , that the roundel is badly presented 

Iranian roundel is from outside green, white red... Like here

Oh, you are right, did not notice that. Obviously Persian Fury sponsored by Aeronautica Militare brand.😀

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2