Airfix Scots Grey in 54mm Scale.Finished.

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

For the sword,  get a heavy bar, and stand next to a mirror, and see how you hold it,  I'd suggest the sword arm further back, and bent more at the elbow, and the bridle hand closer in to the centreline.  

Troy,thanks old chum.I had a quick piccie search for "Galloping Cavalryman" and came up with this image from Pinterest

c1ec902fe2894af33b756def8f159540.jpg

Which is pretty much the shape that I was looking for.I started with the sword arm.This is the alternative pistol arm.

QEGIV90.jpg

And similar with the bridle arm.

8umFGvY.jpg

The cuts to the wrists were made up using the number tabs from the frame suitably tapered to stack properly.

M82HPKt.jpg

The charging cavalrymans'  sword arm is very specifically positioned and aligned to prevent injury or dismounting after the enemy has been run through,there is nothing delicate about that type of warfare.

ncLpyq1.jpg

Our mans arm is  nearly there.

A8shty2.jpg

That was a quick,simple adjustment and has made a huge difference to the look of the thing.

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

I had a quick piccie search for "Galloping Cavalryman" and came up with this image from Pinterest

I tried a couple of options,  I found this Scots Grey image that may amuse

var0278.jpg

ncLpyq1.jpg

The modifications really make a far more dynamic pose.

keep up the good work!

cheers

T

PS a suggestion for the RFI pics, a slightly motion blurred natural background could really set of the idea of a full gallop.

• Like 1

One other suggestion, I searched up 'galloping horse'  

The tail moves, so it's not unnatural,  but angling the tail up, or even inverting it, may help with the sense of movement,  like this for example, as you already have the mane flowing naturally, and ngling the tail up may subtly mirror this.

depositphotos_4999618-White-horse-gallop

• Like 1

Hi Alex. Really impressive progress again and, as always, I am really impressed by your attention to the details and getting it right. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

G'day again Chums,a bit of sideways thinking this time.

Stix,thanks old chum.

Troy,thanks old fruit.That last image got me thinking.

cK1CqjV.jpg

They are the right colour and thin enough filaments to get away with.I cut a few bits off

DJOvYAI.jpg

and using some Clearfix because my 2/3rds full superglue tube has gone off overnight placed lots of these in the appropriate spots on the rump and neck.

8lsNhrS.jpg

They need to be thickened out by about twice the amount to be really convincing but the basic idea is sound.

HlbMr5R.jpg

Our man,I s'pose he ought to have a name sometime soon,has had his arms glued on.There will be filling and fettling followed by paint but we're on the way with this one now.Thanks all for looking in,more soon.

• Like 3

May I suggest; don't forget horse shoes

I bent then flattened some florists iron wire and shaped the hoof for the frog

Dragoon%2C%2007-M.jpg

I also use brown plastic electrical tape for the large horse harness. An advantage of it is its adhesive and stays put. A thin superglue run along some of the edges locks it in place

Dragoon%2C%2012-M.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

That last image got me thinking.

A very neat bit of lateral thinking,  using feathers would not have occurred to me. 

7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

May I suggest; don't forget horse shoes

I bent then flattened some florists iron wire and shaped the hoof for the frog

Another goodie. 

Not sure about the electrical tape, but certainly worth trying.

Cheers

T

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,just a little bit this time.

Black Knight,thanks for dropping in.You're right about the hooves,they do need attention.I was going to paint the shoes on the basis that when they've a covering of mud they'll not really be visible but I do like your idea.The straps and leatherwork are all going to be painted masking tape.They've already been made up and are just waiting for me to get to that bit of the build.Good work on your horse,that looks very tidy.

Troy,thanks old fruit.If one of my pillows hadn't been shedding neither would I.

Stix,thanks old chum.

There has been Milliput.

mphaqDy.jpg
Tehce3X.jpg

All that for this little bit.Once set there will be painting.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 3

It’s been fascinating watching this kit get steadily improved, I’ve got a bunch of these Airfix figures in my stash and I’m itching to have a go at one now.

• Like 2

G'day again Chums,some more to show.

Avereda,thanks old fruit.These kits are a mix of simple and challenging all at the same time,I'm sure you'll enjoy rattling a few of them.

Adrian,thanks old chum.I'm glad it looks like the home straight from your end,from here there seems to be ever more to be done :frantic: .

Stix,thanks old bean.Short answer yes.For the long answer read on.

Real life has been in the way this last few days but there's been some progress this weekend.I can tell you that feathers are not easy to work with and PVA glue makes life simpler and is more forgiving than superglue.With that bit done I turned to the hooves.

0TOX4GK.jpg

I hollowed out the centres of the soles of the hooves using a burr on the Dremelesque.

kpy4pVe.jpg

I then stretched some runner.

CudZyXw.jpg

The tapered bits were flattened on one side and the thin end rounded off.These were glued into place.

rgqqoBa.jpg

Once set there was a spot of levelling off and rounding off and then some paint was chucked at them.

qS1tegh.jpg

These should look something like under some added crud.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace dead image URL.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Britmodeller answering questions you never knew you needed to ask

I should trademark that one :rofl2:

Still, the amount of things I have learned from threads on here over the years is why I thought it worth adding to my sig. 

4 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

With that bit done I turned to the hooves.

great stuff Alex,  some very interesting details I shall have to refer too and incorporate when i have a go at a mounted figure at some point.... having recently picked up some old Airfix 54mm figures and some uniform books of the era that is a project that will come along in the near future.

I'm still bogged down with my 1/48 figures...  

Are you going to try @Black Knight trick with the flattened wire for horse shoes?

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit late here but there was a fundamental difference between French and British Cavalry Sword design.  

The French swords were designed more for a stabbing action, the point of the sword was finer and designed for penetration.  British cavalry had cutting swords where a chopping action defined the design, less pointed heavier blade.  The Heavy Cavalry Sabre was know as a particularly crap sword, badly made and badly balanced (if you have wielded a sword you’ll know what I mean) and was ditched quite quickly (the replacement was crap too).

The Light Cavalry Sabre (1796 pattern) took the chopping action a little further with the hatchet tip.  The point of the blade being slightly flared to add more weight to the tip and make the chopping / slicing action greater. The Weapon was very effective and the French protested it was against the rules...

Officers of course furnished their own swords.

So when you position the sword, think ‘chopping’ for the Brits and ‘stabbing’ for the French..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Thanks 2

Really enjoyed this, made one of these too many years ago.

Coming along nicely, well done

Loved making the Airfix figures, but never managed to paint one that didn't look like a 3 year old had painted it with that  thick poster paint and a stick 🤣

Might have to have another go at some sort of figure and see if 40 odd years has improved my artistic skills, somehow I doubt it though 🤨

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

that didn't look like a 3 year old had painted it with that  thick poster paint and a stick 

I fear I may have the same problem, I'd be tempted to build the whole thing and spray it with a bronze finish as a statue 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello again Chums,a little progress to show.

Adrian,thanks old chum.I'll never be a vet but I'm starting to understand that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Troy,thanks old fruit.I'm not going with the shoes idea although it is worth doing.By the time there's some mud involved it won't really show and it means reshaping the hooves which I don't want to do this far in.Hopefully some of the links in amongst my ramblings will be worth looking at when you crack into your builds.

Dromia,I'm not one for aftermarket if I can avoid it.I'm a tightwad at heart and too impatient to wait for the postie.

Grey Beema,thanks old bean.You're not late at all,if some poor unsuspecting soul uses this thread as a  reference for their build any gen is useful and welcome.When I was digging around for stuff before I started this one I didn't find a build thread anywhere and all the gen I found was distributed all over t'interweb and some was not easily discovered.The Wikipedia article on the sword describes modifications which I've incorporated into this one.

Redstaff,cheers old lad.Give it a go,I look forward to seeing what you do.Don't doubt your abilities,you're better at it than you let yourself think :thumbsup2: .

Ravnos,now you come to mention it that's maybe not a bad idea but you'd still have to make it fit together convincingly :frantic: .

I've gone as far as the end of my mojo with the feather ruse and I've started painting the leatherwork.  

UTYNEMD.jpg

You wouldn't believe the amount of paintwork it's taken to get to here and all you can see that's different is the wince inducing piece of copper wire which should stop our man from being knocked off his perch with any ease.

AXv34am.jpg

The jobs remaining include more touching in of paint,festooning everything with straps,positioning all the twiddly bits and final assembly without breaking said twiddly bits off.

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 6

Hi Alex. I'm trying not to look at the last photo above :blink2: Glad to see your project is still progressing! :thumbsup: It does look like you are approaching the finish line!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

G'day again Chums,real life has been all pervading recently so I've only got back to the bench this evening.

Festooning has begun.I started with the waist belt and the cross strap for the message pouch.These are labelled M and N and have been transposed on the map,N being too short to do its trip.It also needs to be slightly narrower to match the belt buckle.  

jUzIsN5.jpg

The cross strap has just enough gap between the ends to match the message pouch but it needs to be cut through over the shoulder to sit down naturally.This will be hidden when the epaulette is glued on.

H72L4xI.jpg

The carbine needs to be attached to its swivel.

mid_DI_2015_1477.jpg

I drilled a couple of tiny holes and bent a bit of thin wire to match.

DNZWIHR.jpg

The straps as made to match the patterns on the map are all a tad too wide.For this dangly bit (No,I don't know what it's called) I folded the ends lengthways to feed them through their loops.

eMtNKYe.jpg

Likewise for the scabbard.

TA6nmL3.jpg

The scabbard was then positioned with the aid of a blob of blu-tack and the strap ends placed and superglued.

6DB52Sh.jpg

Likewise with the unnamed dangly bit.Superglue was then applied to all joints and loose ends.Once set the exposed unpainted bits were given a slop of paint.

W6RK3UR.jpg

Once that has dried the next step can be made.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

The 'dangly' bit is his Sabretache - the 'message pouch', where he kept writing materials, maps or orders

What you are calling a 'message pouch' is his carbine ammunition pouch

The outside of the Sabretache was decorated with the regiment's number. name and other fancy stuff. Gold and silver thread for officers, plain coloured threads for troopers or just plain leather

This is an officers Sabretache of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, of the Waterloo period

Officer%2C%2001-L.jpg

And a trooper's Sabretache

Trooper%2C%2005%20%282%29-L.jpg

and a troopers ammunition pouch, 

Trooper%2C%2007%20%282%29-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

.For this dangly bit (No,I don't know what it's called)

Sabretache

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabretache

I only know this from looking at books recently and Historex instructions and spares.

Neat work.   I'm still making heavy going of my 1/48th figure modifications,  though I did play with a couple of old Airfix poly 1/32 Imperial Guard, face painting and other experiments...

cheers

T

• Like 1