Lindberg 1/32 1940 Ford Convertible

Tcoat

Not sure where they found them but my local Dollar Tree store had several dozen of this old man no others just this one. It cost me $1.50 Cdn (Nothing in the dollar store only costs a dollar anymore) so that would be .88Gbp. In hindsight I should have grabbed a bunch but figured I would just need one for a 1/32 aircraft diorama some day. May as well build it now though.

It is obviously a new(ish) boxing. Looking it up on Stalemates says 2007. Must have made piles and sold few for it to show up at Dollar Tree!

51180644778_8d535c8968_h.jpg

Untouched until today.

51180645313_7e3c169a79_h.jpg

Just a little room for some scratch build details

51180645353_fdc18809bf_h.jpg

Would never have figured things out without the detailed instructions

51181216434_a0c12a75a1_h.jpg

And here is why I don't trust Amazon to not rip you off!

"Easy to assemble" - Check

"Authentic scale model" - Well yes it is sort of Ford shaped if you squint just right

"Realistic rubber tires" - Really? Where?

"Detailed chassis" - UMMMM....Well... Ahhhhh...

"Realistic hubcaps" - They are really grasping at straws here.

51179799202_765b291d1e_b.jpg

Wish me luck!

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 9

Hi Tcoat and welcome to the GB. That's a really lovely choice of kit for this GB. You certainly got a bargain. I'm looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Tcoat and welcome to the GB. That's a really lovely choice of kit for this GB. You certainly got a bargain. I'm looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks. After giving it a closer look I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew. The moulds were not great when they were new and after making around 10 billion of this kit they are pretty tired. Be a nice base if I wanted to do an old rotted out wreck but since my plan has always been to put it with a WW2 aircraft I am afraid it will need to look shiny and new. 

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks like value for money at 88p, whatever you might think about the absolute level of quality!

I’m confident that it will scrub up well and be an enjoyable build.

Regards,

Adrian

Oh it will be fine. By the time I am done cutting the flash out I will be able to advertise it as "hand sculpted".

• Haha 2

OK so main parts are pretty much cleaned up and more or less fit together.

51182765660_e35cdf6547_h.jpg

I am hopeful some glue and gentle persuasion will help but I do see some putty in my future

51181895178_ef67b02015_h.jpg

All in all it does look the part.

51181676521_3502ca545f_b.jpg

Next up is to remove the B-17 flaps they put on as sun visors and do something about that spectacular detail on the inside of the scale 1 inch think doors.

51181665001_458617d801_b.jpg

• Like 7

Good to see this is underway but tit does look like you have your work cut out for you! Going to be a nice looking result I'm sure. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Well now we have some door cards and since in for a penny in for a pound I decided too open up the drivers door.

51195515750_8ee57f5a9c_b.jpg

The carpeting in these was either a heavy textured vinyl or a very low pile carpet depending on the options. I went with the low pile carpet. The brown sections were textured using a heavy coat of TET and the stippled with an old stiff brush. hey are brown so they will be a different tone when I spray the interior beige.

51195226109_756f596f67_b.jpg

And here we have the "Realistic rubber tires and hubcaps as proudly proclaimed on the Amazon site! Well worth their price of $78.00.

These have t be painted black, white, body colour and two chromes. Not real sure how I will pull that off yet.

51195225794_84f3d3a0d4_c.jpg

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 5

A challenging build! It looks like you have it all under control though.

The wheels look right, proportions seem good. The piecrust outer edge looks very nice. 

I've had success with painting these solid type wheels by using diluted paint run into the edges and let to dry. A layer or two applied like that gives a painted edge to follow, with a brush used to block in the main area of colour.

Another method is to used car spray for a base coat, let it dry very hard then use enamel or acrylic for the next colour but wiping off the colour with a Q-tip or tissue at the edge.

Molotow chrome ink pens work really well for trim rings. Bright chrome as well. I love the things. The smallest one can be run around the wheel trim area and leaves a very convincing chrome trim behind. Using a thicker pen, turn a circle around the hubcap area, keeping a wet edge, also gives a very nice chrome hubcap. The ink doesn't like being overworked so the wet edge is important. It can look patchy when wet but seems to dry with a constant depth of finish.

I've not yet tried spraying the ink. Internet videos show it to be a method well worth trying.

Tony.

• Like 2

I agree with Tony - it does look like a challenging build but it looks like you are getting to grips with it nicely. Lovely work on the interior. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

A challenging build! It looks like you have it all under control though.

The wheels look right, proportions seem good. The piecrust outer edge looks very nice. 

I've had success with painting these solid type wheels by using diluted paint run into the edges and let to dry. A layer or two applied like that gives a painted edge to follow, with a brush used to block in the main area of colour.

Another method is to used car spray for a base coat, let it dry very hard then use enamel or acrylic for the next colour but wiping off the colour with a Q-tip or tissue at the edge.

Molotow chrome ink pens work really well for trim rings. Bright chrome as well. I love the things. The smallest one can be run around the wheel trim area and leaves a very convincing chrome trim behind. Using a thicker pen, turn a circle around the hubcap area, keeping a wet edge, also gives a very nice chrome hubcap. The ink doesn't like being overworked so the wet edge is important. It can look patchy when wet but seems to dry with a constant depth of finish.

I've not yet tried spraying the ink. Internet videos show it to be a method well worth trying.

Tony.

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I agree with Tony - it does look like a challenging build but it looks like you are getting to grips with it nicely. Lovely work on the interior. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I do have a very fine chrome marker so that will be an option. Also going t try leaving the sidewall white, paint the body colour and the bare metal foil the trim ring and cap. That method will all depend on how steady my hand is while cutting circles. The lines are well defined though. 

I shall prevail.

giphy.gif?cid=63e6b07esdixesmm3kn77dj8qj

• Like 3