The "Lead Sled"- Monogram 1/48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

The 'Lead Sled', 'Super Hog', and 'Mechanic's Nightmare' were all rather unflattering nicknames for the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak which was notorious for using a LOT of runway to get airborne when fully loaded! The Thunderstreak was quite advanced for her time being of the first generation of swept-wing fighter-bombers and able to carry 'special' weapons. Over 3000 were built and it could be described as the original NATO fighter preceding the F-104G Starfighter in many European NATO countries.

This is the 1984 initial issue of the Monogram 1/48th Republic F-84F Thunderstreak kit and although several other companies have since released their versions of the F-84F in this scale the Monogram offering is still regarded as having the most accurate shape. Less than a Tenner? I purchased it on eBay in 2005 and paid £7.50 for the kit plus £2.00 P&P so it meets the criteria of this GB. I need to practice applying the SEA colour scheme using my airbrush so I will be building her as a New York ANG aircraft as per the box lid art. I did make the Airfix 1/72nd kit many years ago, this will be my first build of the F-84F in 1/48th scale.

Michael

51180929849_1d4edf404d_o.jpg20210515_124525 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

51179453162_75c766eaae_o.jpg20210515_124901 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

• Like 4

Hi Michael and welcome to the GB. That's an awesome choice of kit for this GB. Looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 months later...

At last, started! Out with brushing a first coat of Humbrol Acrylic 226 Interior Green in the cockpit and the main gear wheel wells. Humbrol 11 Silver via aerosol can for the jet air intake and the nose gear wheel well.

51339411461_d4e4231202_o.jpg20210727_204125 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I am quite impressed with this kit which was originally released in 1984. The surface detail is good although it does have raised panel lines. These don't bother me but it might deter other modellers. This is a detail shot of the lower wing and main gear wells:-

51340143534_8ea518047e_o.jpg20210727_204151 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

A nice straightforward build, the jet air intake and nose gear well consists of two parts which are cemented together as shown here, I really should have spotted that large ejection pin mark on the inside of the fuselage however it won't be obviously visible. The cockpit consists here of the tub and the ejection seat is made up of three parts plus a red head rest. The kit instructions stipulate Olive Green as seen here, I have checked with photos on the internet and they appear to be largely correct.

51340412920_ab783f8a28_o.jpg20210727_204137 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

More to come. Michael

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sadly, to the tune of Hot Gossip's "I lost my heart to a Starship Trooper"...

I lost my scale modelling heart to an F-8 Crusader!

I started this build with good intentions but I also had three more advanced ongoing builds, including an ESCI F-8E Crusader, but I never really built up any momentum for this 'Streak. This is where I am today, the last day of this Group Build:-

51427854524_ab3b8c5ded_o.jpgStreakOne by Ghostbase, on Flickr

51428071810_e2a19c43cc_o.jpgStreakTwo by Ghostbase, on Flickr

51427340988_73d193f87c_o.jpgStreakThree by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I did try to catch up this weekend however I am 172 miles away from my man cave and the much needed tube of Perfect Putty filler so best wait until I return and can do a better job. On the positive side the major parts are cemented together and she is starting to look the "Lead Sled" that she was. I have also decided to finish her in aluminium finish, maybe USAF or West German markings. I will post her when completed, probably this autumn.

Thanks to the Group Moderators, we cannot do this without you.

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase