valley of tears

sardaukar

I was lucky enough to be able to give this new series a watch. Its called valley of tears or Sh'at Ne'ila in the original Hebrew and should be coming to HBO max in the uk at some time. It is available in the US.

Basically its about the Yom Kippur war and specifically the battles on the Golan Heights. this means it is packed full of Centurions, I don't know enough yet to identify which types. it follows some IDF tankers through the early days of the invasion.

its 10 episodes so there is other stuff going on as the crew looks like they will go out as infantry at one point, but there is some great tank action, possible more than any other series or film I can think of. it looks like the film makers got their hands on at least 3 real centurions. The Syrian tanks are CGI masses however there does seem to be real ones in their too, the Isreali crew refer to them as Tirans at one point. some at least are T-62s with possibly T-54/55s, but Id need to watch it again with pausing. I wont comment on realism of the battles and tactics and would leave that to anyone with more  experience/knowledge however it looked pretty good to me although there does seem to be a lack of supporting infantry in the battles.

Check it out if you can, there is some stuff on youtube about it too.

• 5 months later...

Just watched first 2 episodes on More4. Found it watchable and rather good. What i liked the most however is that the subtitles are on a black background so are easy to read 👍

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the initial irritation with one or two of the characters, they’ve grown on me and I’ve enjoyed this series, up to episode 9. The confusion and apparent insubordination of some of the IDF soldiers came as a bit of a surprise, but then I’ve never been in a tank getting shot at. Looking forward to the finale, and been trawling the Big H site to see what’s available in 1/72 - I have no clue about armour!

SD

On 12/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, fatalbert said:

I gave up part way through episode 3,one of the characters got on my nerves that much lol,if i was the C.O i would have shot the snivelling whining geek myself 😆

Shooting your own soldiers is frowned upon these days not tp mention the paper war fighting personal grievance claim can completely spoil your war😛

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, fatalbert said:

I gave up part way through episode 3,one of the characters got on my nerves that much lol,if i was the C.O i would have shot the snivelling whining geek myself 😆

As irritating as he is (and he really is), he kind of comes good in the end, no spoilers though!

SD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...