Bovingdon 1968. The Battle of Britain film

Michou

On a Saturday evening the BBC announced that the aircraft which participated in the film would be on display the following day.  What they did not say was that the display was intended for the press.  However, because such a large number of people arrived they were permitted to enter the airfield.  Alas, I had only a few frames of unexposed film in my camera and it was impossible to buy anything on a Sunday in Britain at that time.  These are the only photos which I was able to take.

HA-1112
20210515140614-70afe115-la.jpg

The lineup
20210515140614-cbddfe63-la.jpg

Spitfire
20210515140615-976b624e-la.jpg

Proctuka - A Percival Proctor modified to resemble a half-scale Ju 87.  Too fragile for diving it was not used in the film.
20210515140616-f8eeb442-la.jpg

CASA 2.111
20210515113256-359dc957-la.jpg

B-25 The camera platform.  This was photographed at Biggin Hill.
20210515140635-5641c001-la.jpg

Mike

Edited by Michou
correct spelling
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Bovington? I knew Bovingdon had an airfield and that most of the film was done from Duxford or am I being denser than usual?

Edit: having just checked wikipedia I think Bovingdon is more likely, partly because I lived near Bovington at the time the film was made and was interested in a/c even then.

• Michou changed the title to Bovingdon 1968. The Battle of Britain film
1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

Bovington? I knew Bovingdon had an airfield and that most of the film was done from Duxford or am I being denser than usual?

Edit: having just checked wikipedia I think Bovingdon is more likely, partly because I lived near Bovington at the time the film was made and was interested in a/c even then.

Thanks, Iain.  Spelling now corrected.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Mike, Excellent pictures. Always good to see the film aircraft 'off duty' as it were.

Pictures of the Proctuka seem few and far between and the B-25 was known as the Psychedelic monster I seem to recall.

Thanks!

Bloody Hell !! There's a 24yo me, second from right on starboard side of "Stuka" in front of the wing cross !

I was wrong in positing the absence of the RAF aircraft in the referring build thread, time plays Hell with a 77 yo memory !!

Great photos, Mike @Michou !

Rog

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...