1/350 LCI (L) Type 351 Black Cat Models

Gidday Rob, this is coming along very well, and with all those deck fittings I've no doubt it will look even better. One very minor point if I may? It appears that you have both navigation lights in the side of the bridge painted green. I think the left (port side) should be red. Left/right, port/starboard, red/green -the way I remember them is the question - "Is there any of that red port left?"

As I said, She's coming along very well. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

So as is customary - here's the Close down summary.

Whilst the LCI (Large) lacks the allure of larger war vessels, it had a vital part to play in the amphibious landings of WW2.  Designed by the British it was built and operated mainly by the US.

Original photos are plentiful and my primary reference source was the excellent site:

https://www.navsource.org/archives/phibidx.htm

Further very detailed information pertaining to RN vessels is available at:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/d-day-landing-craft-markings.33486/

Navsource details each and every LCI ever built.  A fair number served as lend-leaseRoyal Navy vessels as depicted iin this build.  I'm looking forwards to the specific RN types with low bridge due imminently from Black Cat Models.

I feel kudos is due to Ben Druel of Black Cat for choosing to model this unglamorous and unsung  type :clap2:

Summary

Black Cat models - LCI (Large) US Navy Type 351  

Points the way to where we may expect naval modelling to go - 3D printing which delivers detail at a level that injection plastic moulding can't hope to match.  This kit is state of the art and to my mind offers the most complete and detailed kit that I've built to date.  Fit is excellent, there is a minimum of "printing" surface irregularity which is easily sanded.  The supplied etch is well designed with near perfect fit and decals complete a whole package.  the only additions were porthole/scuttles and "Royal Navy" decals.

I love the deck clutter with it's fine detail and it really builds up to a utilitarian working vessel.  The detail on the mast alone is testament to the research that Ben has put in and translated to the 3D printing process.  Whilst the subject may not appeal to everyone's tastes and is predominantly an American vessel, I thouroughly enjoyed the build and end result.  It's been my favourite build this year.  Highly recommended.

Paintng and weathering

Sovereign Colourcoats white and B30 with a conceit using US B20 deck blue.  Extensive masking was needed safe in the knowledge that with a firm coat of primer the Colourcoats paint is not going to lift.  Weathering was with oils used "dry" and Mig Production "Light Rust Effects".

Decals 

Red letters and numbers from Ventura V7283 "4 & 8 inch RAF and Commonwealth serials".

The tiny "3rd Infantry Division" symbol from a Warlord Games 1/56 set

Nameplate

http://www.nameitplates.co.uk/

2021 06 29_2971

Expect more of these soon in specific "RN" form.

And Thanks again to Grumunkin, my oldest Mate,  for gifting me this  :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking

It's a wrap

Rob

• Like 11

Can't believe I'm here so late the RFI is done already! Lovely work Rob, I'll pop over and take a look, meanwhile thanks for the book heads up. Just ordered myself a copy - it's what one does really!

Terry

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@robgizlu just found this build log AND just taken delivery of the RN version of this little ship. As always, I will probably use your build as my ‘go to’ reference. Also went a bit bonkers, and persuaded my wife to buy this for my birthday. https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/1400/169-river-class-frigate.html
Jon

• Like 1