1/350 LCI (L) Type 351 Black Cat Models

2 hours ago, socjo1 said:

... PS. Can anybody tell me what the hellish mashinery is this?

9LIHXdk.jpg

Hi Michal,

That would be an LCG (L) (Landing Craft Gun (Large)).  There were a number of landing craft modified to support invasion troops, but from what I can find there were only 4 LCG (L)'s modified from LCT's (I could be corrected).  It looks like the one in the video was either LCG (L) 3 or LCG (L) 4.  Both these had had two twin 4.7-inch gun turrets, while 1 & 2 had two British Army 25 pounder gun-howitzers in armoured turrets.  In the video, it looks like the hull number was removed.  I couldn't find a photo of LCG (L) 3 or LCG (L) 4, so having one recorded in the video is kind of special.

Here's a link to a description of the LCG's -  https://web.archive.org/web/20140609011918/http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/item/researching-family-and-royal-marine-history/major-landing-craft-of-world-war-ii

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Hi Rob,

Apparently Gator's Grip is back by popular demand:

https://gatorloup.wixsite.com/gators-model-studio/gator-s-grip-hobby-glue

Diolch Ant 

Delivery from the US likely to be eye watering but that's brought joy to a rather wretched week.

In fact it's Brill news - my last pot got sent from Italy :nodding:

6 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice work, Rob.

Thanks for the kind compliments.  I've been lucky to find a number of hidden gems like that video in Canadian photo & film archives.

Regarding the gun tub repair, in the past I've applied a thin coat of CA glue over the surface of the dried putty (after sanding to shape) & then sanded the glue smooth after it dries.  The glue gives the putty a little more rigidity & after sanding can give a smooth transition where the edge of the putty meets the base material.

John

Thanks John - Green stuff is slightly odd as putty goes - it's mildly flexible even when set and doesn't sand well but I know what you are saying.  As it happens the end result is passable - this definitely counts as one of my more successful "saves"

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This is all looking grand! :clap2:

I love the base--I'll need to find those videos. Good save on the tub!

FWIW, my approach is to find the resin shards if I can, if not then plastic sheet. I then use medium CA as adhesive and filler. Some file work, say 2-, 4-, and then 6-cut, will get a perfectly smooth and quite robust finish.

Quite so - but you have heard me say "fat drunk & Stupid".  I of course hoovered up ALL the mess resulting from me digging out the Styrofoam - not having realised I'd dinged it .  I probably ought to surrender my driving licence :doh:

3 hours ago, socjo1 said:

John,

fantastic, informative inspirational and atmospheric film, thank you too!

Rob,

never mind boring smoke generators - let's go to something more exciting 😉 :

HRBquUR.jpg

The question is...

Have you a factory producing bicycles? At first it seemd absurd idea and only pure joke - even for me. 

But let's think: How many tanks, trucks, DUKWs and so on have we all seen on sea dioramas? I think - a lot of.

But... bicycles?

It is really very very eyecatching, original and interesting detail!

Today's motto:make bikes, not tanks 😉

If you aren't bicycle-factory owner you can use this:

http://www.larsenal.com/1-350-bicycles-x-4-c2x15951825

What did the Katie sing?

"There are nine million bicycles in Beijing
That's a fact
And a few dozens are in LCI"

Regards,

Michał

PS. Can anybody tell me what the hellish mashinery is this?

9LIHXdk.jpg

Michal - I think John has correctly sussed the LCG "pimped".  As to bicycles - here's the heavy hint.....

THE BRITISH ARMY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM 1939-45

It figured prominently at D-day at being a relatively fail-safe means of transport once ashore particularly favoured I'm lead to believe by the Commandos

Available in 1/35 for dios as 

DP35014-006_1024x1024_547e6686-15ca-453a-88bb-4e350f1c5c86_1024x1024

P3201319

There are still Wartime folding bikes being ridden in UK

Though I was surprised by the number aboard  :lol:

And Thanks go to @RGL Greg for his tip with Tamiya lacquer and light sanding.  Greg - that's a cold one I owe you - it works a treat :thumbsup:

Rob

• Like 5

Some very interesting information coming out of this build and great news about the Gator Grip nearly on my last drop as well hope the local hobby shop gets some in soon.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Hi,

The  “mystery”  craft  is  LCF 1.

Landing  Craft,  Flak (Mk.  II)  1  was    in  333  Support  Flotilla,  1  Support  Squadron,  Assault  Group  J1,  Force  “J”  in  June  1944.

Armament  of  LCF(2)  1  was  two  4 inch  mark  XVI  twin  mountings  and  three  20mm  Oerlikons.

She  was  lost  on  the  17th  August  1944  at  about  06.30 hrs.

The  conversion  from  TLC 123  to  LCF 1  started  in  1941.

She  was  the  only  one  built  with  this  armament.

Regards

Danny

Edited by Danny L
add last line
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The join between hull and superstructure wan't quite as flush as I'd considered.  The merits of primer.  Filing small cracks like this is always problematic.  I find the most useful solution is to water down some PVA (50 :50) and use a paint brush to !paint into the cracks.  Thsi goes most of the way.  any excess is easily removed after 5mins with a dampened cotton bud.  Any smaller resisitant gaps can theb be filled with enamel paint which works surprisingly well :nerd:

2021 05 27_2756

The only single adverse reflection i have to date about this kit is that the "gangways" have warped slightly on the moulding sprues - in a lateral (sideways) direction

2021 05 27_2755

The Bug folding tool was enlisted and I dumped it into some near boiling water which has corrected the problem but only to a degree.  This would all be less noticeable if the ganagways weren't being extended in thsi piece.  One option would be to scratch some new ones but the antislip ridges are so fine that they'll be hard to replicate.  An option owul dhave been to offer them in etch but then thickness would have been the issue.  Tant pis!.

The whole has been primed with Mig Ammo One shot white.  The base has been sprayed with varying combos of Vallejo Model Air "Light Grey Green" 71.044 and "Grauviolet" 71.259 beginning with 50 ; 50.

2021 05 27_2751

and this is what it's going to turn out like

2021 05 27_2748

The green invasion band was sprayed with Vallejo Model Color "Flat Green" 70.968 and then masked.

2021 05 27_2754

Before several repeat light layers of Colourcoats Matt White were sprayed.  I do like this colour which has a slight creamy tint and is rather wonderful!

2021 05 27_2746

2021 05 27_2745

Spraying the deck B20 Dark blue is going to be fiddly but is partly helped by the fact that the insides of the gun tubs were dark as ievidenced by this pic.  The other interesting issue is that the 20mm O gun shields were clearly not whhite as is evident from all of the pics available.  The colour was darker  and likely either B30 or possible a grey ?G45; mine will be in B30.

I'm loving this model - the detail is superb!

More soon 

Rob

• Like 9

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

One option would be to scratch some new ones but the antislip ridges are so fine that they'll be hard to replicate.  An option owul dhave been to offer them in etch but then thickness would have been the issue. 

Could you use paper soaked in Cyano ?  Make a larger piece then once its stiff trim it to size. That will stiffen it up pretty good. Draw the anti-slip ridges in with pencil first then soak.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Well, I've been waiting eagerly for this to be released and my copy came today.

2021 06 02_2759_edited-1

I've spent the last few hous reading and perusing and the immediate and overwhelming feeling is "Wish I'd had this when I first came to ship modelling!"

The obvious comparison is "Ship Models from kits" by David Griffith published in 2011 and if I'm honest - a bit long in the tooth now.  

"Modelling Naval Ships in Small Scales" is written Mike McCabe - proprietor of Starling Models and creator of very fine resin models in 1/700 and 1/350.  He's modelled for many years and is very well placed to write what I think will become a "standard textbook" for ship modellers at all levels of experience. 

It's published by Crowood press in softback at 141 pages with colour photos throughout.  It comprises 11 chapters begining logically with "Where do I start?" discussing the pros and cons of different scales.  In fairness to David Griffith and his book of 10 years ago - a lot has changed in modelling, with a vastly increased number of models being released in all modalties including the most recent of 3D printing.  Tools and Equipment are covered iin the next chapter and I think presents an all-you-need pragmatic approach, including tips that I'd not come across before (as a reasonably seasoned and grizzled modeller) that I'll use from this point forwards.  The Chapters then progress through builds of increasing complexity commencing with a simple plastic OOB build (HMS Daring), improving on a plastic kit build (USS Wasp 1/700) to a resin kit in the form of HMS Nadder 1/350 and finally an Advanced multi-media build in the subject of Academy's 1/350 Graf Spee.  Along the way chapters are included covering all of our favourites such as Painting and weathering, (a particularly useful and concise overview of different paint types available),  Masts and Rigging and finally Water bases, a subject which in my opinon you can never have too much of!  My only single criticism is the lack of mention of using eyelets such as Bob's Buckles to "anchor" rigging which I feel makes the process considerably easier - a very small omission.  The final chapter is Display and Photography which like the rest of the book is concise, no-nonsense and very, very useful.

Despite following excellent modellers on this site who work in a wide range of media and subjects, I've still picked up a large handful of tips and ideas from this book that are new to me - I suspect you will too.

Retailing at £16.99, I feel this is an absolute bargain and IMHO the only "primer" you'll ever need for ship modelling.  I envy you if you are a beginner coming new to this - it's ALL there!!

Congratulations Mr McCabe, your textbook is as admirable as your models :clap2:

Rob

• Like 9

Why is it my bookcase and wallet groans every time I read you have another book I will have reinforce the floor soon.  :facepalm:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

John, Beefy and Kev - Thanks.

With Calcutta now done and dusted - work can continue with "375".

I mask with Tamiya tape - safe that it has never once "lifted" Sovereign Colourcoats.

I cut the masks with this rotary cutter or a S&M No 11 blade.

2021 06 02_2761

Which gets us to this with a B30 camo pattern

2021 06 15_2878

2021 06 15_2879

The hull below the water line is masked and Vallejo 71.055 "Black Grey" sprayed

2021 06 15_2880

2021 06 15_2881

That's all topped off with a few coats of "Klear", leaving a lot of further masking to spray the deck US Blue 20.

I returned to the base to lighlight some ripples and I find the AK "Water Foam" very useful.

2021 06 15_2882

More soon 

It's warm :thumbsup:

Rob

• Like 11

Looking quite bright the colours when you think these where supposed to be used for sneaking up to the beach heads and disembarking the troops.

whereas the Americans used greys and blues but green's and black in the pacific theatre's just makes you wonder in the reasoning for this as to how it would be seen from a distance at low light.  :hmmm:

considering there was so many of them all together.

Know what you mean about the hot weather think that is why it goes all so quite around hear at times that and the football games.  :footy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

whereas the Americans used greys and blues but green's and black in the pacific theatre's just makes you wonder in the reasoning for this as to how it would be seen from a distance at low light.  :hmmm:

Could it be to confuse Submarines when the LCI was near Pacific islands to break up the silhouette  ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

just makes you wonder in the reasoning for this as to how it would be seen from a distance at low light.  :hmmm:

:hmmm: Who would have thought Mountbatten Pink could have been fashionable :shrug:

Neat work on the camo//masking Rob.

Stay safe and chill

Kev

• Haha 2

Thanks Fellas

Sometimes it's nice to have the doorbell ring - these 2 were on the end of the ring today - Fine Day :winkgrin:

2021 06 16_2883

First impressions of the Bangor Class moulding is that it's just Bootiful B)  if you'd asked me a year ago whether I'd be building a minesweeper - I think my nose would have twitched and I'd have had a mild tremor..............but ther isssss something about them

Expect HMS Poole from Matthews shipyards soon

HMS POOLE

And the Northstar figures are indeed a replacememt for the erroneous ones they sent previously: a 4-5 week delivery time but let the record show each order HAS come despite the lengthy delivery time.  I'd run out - it's amazing how many the Cruisers soak up ;)

So some more masking .....

2021 06 16_2886

And I find that time spent masking is well worth the return, better that than all the overpainting if you skimp

Tah Dah!!!!

2021 06 16_2891

It's a lovely shade and sprayed beautifully - sufficient for me to paint the steps with the airbrush alone.  Mr Duff makes exceedingly good paints :thumbsup:

It looks like a proper boat ship now.

2021 06 16_2888

2021 06 16_2889

the Mig Ammo Dark crystal is used for the Castle portholes.  the hatches have already had a pinwash with Mig Productions Neutral Grey

2021 06 16_2890

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Yet again I'm stunned with such a clean/crisp finish at such a small scale :clap2:

Stay safe and chilled

Kev

Well he does come from Wales so it’s tidy bouy init.  😂

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Haha 3

Thanks all.  

I prefer masks and spraying pennant numbers nowadays but sadly there's a limit to the size that masks will go to so it's decals, ensuring that you apply over a very smooth "Klear" sprayed surface

2021 06 21_2929

They settled without any fuss or film - phew!

And so - straight onto Weathering AFTER the decals had had a further Klear spray to seal them.

This now comprises the extent of my weathering products

2021 06 21_2930

In fact there were 4 oils:

1) Industrial earth ( major oil) Mig Abteilung

2) Faded white Mig Abteilung

3) Smoke black AK

4) Dark Grey shadow AK

As previously I tend to dry brush with very small amounts of oil most of which has been wiped off or swiped onto paper and repeatedly brush.  The majority f what you see is Industrial earth.  I then sit, ponder and keep coming bacl oveer several hours to remove or add.  You can remove it if you wish with a brush or cotton bud damped with white spirit.  Drying time is 24 hrs + so you have a lot of time to change your mind.

Pics show these vessels were really quite grubby

2021 06 22_2933

As you can see the Castle steps were added and the Castle stuck down.  It's time tostart adding all the deck furniture and here's the layout plans

Scan0106

Scan0107

The railings weree a perfect fit

2021 06 22_2934

2021 06 22_2935

and finally the mast was stepped 

2021 06 22_2937

The braces fitted and then the mast furniture to complete.  It really is very detailed

2021 06 22_2943

2021 06 22_2939

More soon - finishing line in sight

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 14