Cutty Sark - £4.99 Lidl December 2020

nimrod54

In December 2019 I purchased a Airfix Jet Provost gift set for £4.99 from Lidl (Rochdale). In December last year and following some treatment at the hospital, we dropped into Lidl on our way home where I was able to pick up another two gift sets same price of £4.99 each, and with the subjects this time being of a maritime nature, I thought would something different for me to have a go at.

The first option and ultimately my first choice of subject for the GB is this example of Cutty Sark, which at a first glance between this and the other option of HMS Victory, looks to be the easier of the two. 

50729760451_ba23f942c4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51180019171_bdebc19dae_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 7

Hi John and welcome to the GB. Good to have you here. Nice choice of kit for this GB. Looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I managed to get some work done on this yesterday and spent a lot of my time cleaning up all of the parts before assembling the stand and hull. This morning I sprayed a base coat of Citadel Grey Seer over the sails, hull and deck...

51182712133_797e356d26_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51182712193_561360f0fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

... whilst the masts had a coat of white primer added.

51182495031_0bd3344cf5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once everything has been checked over, I will start to get some of the colours on, but any further progress may be hampered over the next week because I have to finish a A-7E for the Gulf War GB.

Cheers

John

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Another Lidl bargain, does Mrs N notice these as they slip into the trolley on the way round!? 🤣

She should do, it is usually her that ends up paying and I transfer the funds if/when I remember - not that I am allowed to forget very often. :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

Having finished my A-7E for the Gulf War GB over the weekend, it is time to push on with a few things. I have been working on Cutty Sark during downtimes on the Corsair, and having looked back at my last post I have made more progress than I had thought. The hull has been brushed with its black and copper colours, I have started painting the deck, the sails will need another coat or two of white and the masts are in the process of having the middle sections painted.

51201217479_8ba16d7336_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s a nice start dude. 

Thanks buddy, I have done a bit more work on it since yesterday's post.

I tidied up the paint on the deck and glued that into the hull last night, that needs a small amount of filler to close a couple of gaps and then the paint touching in. The sails have had another coat of white, the next job for those will be painting followed by a final layer of white depending how neat I am, so let's just say it now, there will be a final white layer. :D

51201984692_7339f9cfdc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The painting on the masts is finished and I have fixed the first of the sails in place,  and who can resist a test fit?

51202905118_741c2137fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Very impressive progress! That really is a lovely looking build! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I still have to come up with some sort of plan for the small triangular sails (not sure of the correct nomenclature, so my apologies to you seafaring types :winkgrin:) then they don't appear to be just  flapping about in the breeze - maybe some simple rigging is called for. Time to break out the bottle bottom specs again. 

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rear lifeboats on this kit are missing anything on the inside whilst the forward one has some interior detail. The strange thing being that the rear ones are fitted with the interior showing and the forward one is upside down, so I decided to make some simple covers for the rear lifeboats and adapted a method that @AdrianMF used to make intakes on an aircraft he was building. IIRC it was a Buccaneer and whilst these covers are far simpler affairs than Adrian's intakes, the principle would work well here. I stuck the lifeboats upside down onto a small piece of white paper and soaked that with thin layers of superglue, gradually building them up to a suitable thickness and once that had dried they were cut and sanded to shape, then painted white to give me two covered lifeboats.

51206345847_84a8b8b5ff_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr  

I had a go at brush painting the white line around the hull this afternoon, but I wasn't happy with the end result, so I broke out the black and repainted that, then after a rummage through my decal box I found some white stripes of a suitable size and a couple of lengths were added to the sides, I also decided to add the kit decals to the hull and stand while I had the decalling stuff out. Those two jobs brought the work on the hull to an end and I can now start to add the masts and sails. 

51208126420_a42d39628e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51207826259_e4bd55ffd4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 9

Hi John. Well the finished hull looks great and I like the idea of the covers for the lifeboats. Excellent progress! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I have started adding the masts and sails to the hull and in photo below you can see what I meant about the ends of certain sails being left to waft in the breeze. I have found a sail/rigging drawing on the ol'tinternet and hope to use that to work out some rough attachment points for very simplified rigging.

51216097423_5b41c6a3be_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I just need to finalise the painting on the foremast sails and we should be almost done.

Cheers

John

• Like 3

On 01/06/2021 at 12:32, Hewy said:

Nicley done john 👍

Thanks Hewy. It's almost finished now.

I got on with some rigging today after @Alex Gordon sent me a rigging chart from the larger Airfix kit. Your a naughty man Alex, I ended up adding more than I had intended, most of the top rigging was done where sails and space permitted, I didn't add much of the lower rigging because that would have meant me having to add some structure to the sides of the hull to fasten the lines to, which would have been quite tricky with the sails fixed in place.

51220939496_b4380fc94a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51221153948_117de27f03_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I used a combination of Uschi's rigging threads, most of it being Superfine, but with Fine and Standard used where thicker lines are required. Unsurprisingly, a few paint touch ups are needed where the acrylic paint has been rubbed off from using tweezers to try and thread lines through others, but that is tomorrows job.

My thanks again to Alex for sending the image of the rigging diagram, I have had a lot of fun today trying to see what was achievable.

Cheers

John

• Like 6

Cheers H, I tried squeezing it in the cabinet but it doesn't look right amongst all the wingy stuff. :hmmm:I wonder if SWMBO would be open to the idea of a second cabinet, nah best not to go there. :lol:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John. Congratulations on an absolutely fantastic finish!! Very impressive work on the rigging too! Very well done all round. :worthy:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 15:21, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Congratulations on an absolutely fantastic finish!! Very impressive work on the rigging too! Very well done all round. :worthy:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I have really enjoyed tackling something different, and the credit for the rigging should go to @Alex Gordon, without his help in providing a rigging diagram it would not have been quite as comprehensive.

It was a pleasure to have been able to take part and thanks to you for running the Less than a Tenner GB again.

HMS Victory and a Jet Provost to build yet of course.

Regards

John

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

HMS Victory and a Jet Provost to build yet of course.

Regards

John

Pull your finger out, anybody would think you have domestic chores to complete, by the way have you hoovered the mat?  :rofl:

• Haha 1