Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.4 - £4.99 Lidl December 2019 ## FINISHED ##

nimrod54

Hi John,

I have read a lot of good about these Jet Provost kits, so I am sure that even OOB, it will be a great model.  

But are you sure you can pull the OOB bit off? You are already talking about changing the paint scheme. Very ominous in my book...

Unfortunately these Provost leave me somewhat cold, although I have a Gnat in the stash (a momentary lapse of reason maybe). I must be too Gallic for this type of plane. 

But I am still looking forward to your build.

JR

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jean said:

But are you sure you can pull the OOB bit off? You are already talking about changing the paint scheme. Very ominous in my book...

:lol:

Don't worry Jean. It will still be the same Red Pelican scheme, only with a change of paint size and/or manufacturer rather than those fiddly little pots that are in the box. They do come in useful for small touch up jobs though. 

Regards

John

Looking forward to this one. I bought several but have aftermarket decals planned for all of them so didn't include them in my planned builds.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made a start on this one yesterday and here are the sprue shots prior to starting work on assembly of the cockpit.

51267265685_4198f80c33_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I had painted and assembled most of the cockpit parts last night, with the exception of the instrument panel. I added the decal to the panel this morning and fixed that in place.

51265492782_06f4cb8393_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51266962764_49ded84700_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51266229456_ccde56f2d9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The rest of the assembly has moved on fairly quickly over the course of the day and this is how things stand at the moment.

51266229101_f9d9013036_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51267265590_ce5f32abb1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 10

Very nice work. 

Time for primer.................... I have read in certain magazines that pink would you believe?, is a very good primer for such colours as Red, Yellow and Orange.  :deadhorse:

• Haha 1

Very nice start especially the cockpit. I’m sure I’m teaching my granny to suck eggs here but be careful in your selection of an alternative red. Get it wrong and the Central Flying School decals with the red background will stick out like a sore thumb. Guess how I know this ☹️

Craig. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Very nice work. 

Time for primer.................... I have read in certain magazines that pink would you believe?, is a very good primer for such colours as Red, Yellow and Orange.  :deadhorse:

Now why does this sound so familiar?  51268680364_7d59f1601a_s.jpg :lol:

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Very nice start especially the cockpit. I’m sure I’m teaching my granny to suck eggs here but be careful in your selection of an alternative red. Get it wrong and the Central Flying School decals with the red background will stick out like a sore thumb. Guess how I know this ☹️

Craig. 

Cheers Craig. Having looked at other finished builds of this kit online, you're not the only one to have made that error. That said, I am sure that a closer match for the decal could have been provided by the manufacturer. I was thinking of using Humbrol's Signal Red (174) for my build, do you remember which paint you used?

John

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Craig. Having looked at other finished builds of this kit online, you're not the only one to have made that error. That said, I am sure that a closer match for the decal could have been provided by the manufacturer. I was thinking of using Humbrol's Signal Red (174) for my build, do you remember which paint you used?

I used Xtracrylix Red Arrows Red and that’s definitely not the hue to go for. Signal red might be a good option. I’ve got another of these in the stash so I’ll be interested to see what you end up using. 

Craig. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Great to see this one is underway. Looks like you have made excellent progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks a lot Stix. There are a few small gaps to fill around the wing join on the undersides, and since taking the last series of photos I have painted and fixed the the intakes in place which need a fair amount of work to blend them in.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having had a couple of short breaks away with friends and with the deadline approaching it's time to get on with this. Before we left I took the decision to have the canopy in the closed position and fixed them in place. Yesterday I masked off and painted the frames black before adding some Tamiya primer. Now I have it on good authority (ask @Hockeyboy76 ) that a certain colour is the way to go when using red or yellow top coats, so you may want to cover your eyes before proceeding any further. :cool: :lol:

51392490996_f4e2a287f7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here's what a dead one looks like.

51391730782_538e966360_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I seem to remember building the original Airfix Jet Provost Mk 3 many years ago. and later I bought one of their second mould Strikemaster/JP Mk 5, but I had not noticed they had done yet another mould a few years back - looks far better than either of the old ones!

Pete

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PeterB said:

I had not noticed they had done yet another mould a few years back - looks far better than either of the old ones!

Pete

It is a nice kit to put together Peter. It needs a small amount of filler on the intakes but that is about it, definitely an improvement on the older ones.

• Like 1

I got some red paint on yesterday, I had planned to use a Signal Red (Hu 174) but on opening the tin I found that there wasn't much left and what there was turned to a nice chocolate colour after mixing. The kit comes with a small pot of acrylic Gloss Red for the main painting, so I went with an enamel version thinned with Humbrol thinners. It looks OK but on checking this morning it is still tacky, I used the same pot of red on another build a few weeks ago and it took three days before it was dry enough to handle, so it should be good for the next phase by Wednesday/Thursday.

51398492245_e55cce98a2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51398492030_a7066ed93c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 6

On 26/08/2021 at 14:13, modelling minion said:

Looking very nice John, certainly not a model that you will easily lose is it.😄

Thanks Craig. I am not sure about it being easily seen though, I put it down somewhere this morning and haven't seen the rascal since. :lol:

51405046592_d3f17839b9.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Having masked off the anti glare panel earlier today I finished the painting barring a couple of touch ups, I should have the decals on this afternoon and then I can leave things overnight before wrapping it up tomorrow.

51406060673_84d11119e5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The decals are on and the model has been set aside to allow them to dry, I'll wash things down tomorrow ro remove any residue solutions before I seal them in. After that I can fix the aerials and pitot to complete this build.

51406495648_40590fce2d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51407204035_7145791464_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51407204095_426fd8f0f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers

John

• Like 5