Something Architectural (the final chapter) - Finished and in Gallery

To date only one of my builds has reached the Gallery but it's time to start on the final? architectural build for this GB. This is will be the third of a trio:

1) A Scalescenes model built off the card

2) An enlarged Micromodels building using some scratch build features.

and now a final building that will be totally scratch built,

Again this wil be a built for my "Exercise Meteor" project.

The centre of this will be a small railway station - Hinckford Parva, in 1945, away from the station there will be a representation of a Airfield and a farm. My Nissen hut build is set for the airfield and this final build will be for the Farm.

Firstly the prototype:

DSC04324

This is one of a number of images taken.

The next stage will be to design the model.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:01 PM, Mjwomack said:

I love this, and you'er far braving than me to undertake a scratchbuilds of it; but I can see the allure.

Modern farming would not survive with buildings such as these. This farm like many really consists of a number of large barn that look like aircraft hangers. Indeed throughout East Anglia many ex airfield hangers are in use by farmers. One on Ridgewell airfield was used to store hay until it caught fire fairly recently.

Back to the build

Key to starting the build is getting a scale drawing. Firstly any perspective issues are corrected in Photoshop Elements and the resulting image is loading in a freeware drawing program - Inkscape. You can then draw the various wall etc.. using the image.

Screenshot (121)

Once printed out you can quickly produce a prototype in card..

DSC04333

I think the dovecote wing is slightly to tall but apart from that I am happy to move only the next stage.

• Like 1

Slight? change of plan on this one, the previous build having been in card I through I would ring the changes with this one and use plastic card. I am assuming of the purposes the the GB that embossed plastic card does not count as injection moulded.

Progress after one evening is quiet pleasing.

DSC04343

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, Paul821 said:

Progress after one evening is quiet pleasing.

I should say-so!! Cracking along, I assume you'll be bracing the walls or are you going for backing or some sort?

7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

bracing the walls or are you going for backing or some sort?

The model requires internal walls, floors and ceilings so these should provide the structural strength. The barn at the back already has a foamboard upper floor which is remarkably strong.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For various reasons this barn build stalled, however with just 6 days to go, I thought I would try to complete a barn for this GB. Hopefully I can report progress this evening.

• Like 1

Just a holding picture from yesterday (posted in Chat)

DSC04974

This should have been finished this evening, to allow my "Blitzbuild" entry tomorrow as well as the Nissen huts.

Just started to model and there was a loud band and the main fuse breaker had gone.  As it was the main one rather than a single circuit it was a case of working round the house to identify the rouge device. This turned out to be one of the freezers in the kitchen, identified by a burning smell and a slightly blackened socket/plug. Much of the evening was spent trying to fit the contents of the failed freezer into the working one. This settled our food for the next 5 days as we needed extra space.

By the time we had finished this and looked online for a replacement freezer there was not much modelling time left.

• Sad 2

Scalescenes models are always a delight to build and the Barn was easier than most as it has no windows! I have a few more from Scalescenes to build for Exercise Meteor, but the banr is now in the Display Only gallery.

• Like 1

• Paul821 changed the title to Something Architectural (the final chapter) - Finished and in Gallery