Hawker Typhoon (Airfix 1:72)

OK, so this will be my entry; purchased right here on BM for £6 (once the postage is deducted).

As I've other GBs on the go, I was going to make this a quick 'wheels up' with two bombs. However, I reckon I have enough time to do it a bit more justice so the plan is for an open canopy and rockets. I may even open up a wing panel!!  :devil:

2kWB1TA%5D

2kWFCsV%5D

• Like 14

It certainly seems to have gone together OK so far. The Mrs. decided to have a day's shopping with her sisters in Brighton so I've made the most of the peace and had a good few hours at the bench :happy:

2kYCxio%5D

2kYGBAB%5D

• Like 11

Hi Nigel. Hope you are keeping well. Welcome to the GB. That a good choice of kit for this GB - I have made one of these and it was a thoroughly enjoyable build. I'm looking forward to following your progress and it looks like you are off to a good start already with the cockpit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Nigel, and off to a cracking start too.

Hi Craig, Many thanks  :happy:  Hope you and yours are well.

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Hope you are keeping well. Welcome to the GB. That a good choice of kit for this GB - I have made one of these and it was a thoroughly enjoyable build. I'm looking forward to following your progress and it looks like you are off to a good start already with the cockpit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix and thank you; all good.  :happy: Quick drying acrylics on these 1:72 kits make them a quick but enjoyable build. Cracking idea for a GB and a pleasure to be be part of the fun!

• Like 3

Quick update at the end of another day sat mostly at the bench. Primer now on along with some colour on the prop and rockets. Oh, and I did remove a wing panel (back in as a paint mask for now)

I had a bit of a fright as it's the first time I've used this primer with my new airbrush and it saturated it!! It's dried back OK'ish (some panel lines not as clean) but I'll know to adjust for this next time :phew:

2kYQVH5%5D

• Like 11

Thanks Craig  :happy:  I can't seem to get enough of this modelling lark at the minute.

I've committed to a couple of other GBs later in the year (Ford Mustang & F-14) and I've a 1:400 Titanic to build for the mantlepiece along with a Dodge Dart Hemi for one of my lads beforehand!! :frantic:

• Like 2

Wow!! Very impressive progress already Nigel and looking rather excellent to boot!! At this rate you could end up being first in the Gallery!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow!! Very impressive progress already Nigel and looking rather excellent to boot!! At this rate you could end up being first in the Gallery!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix!! :happy:  It would be a first if I was but I'm sure someone will get there before me!

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian  :happy:  It's a well engineered kit which helps an awful lot :wink:

• Like 1

Thanks Marklo :happy:  It certainly is!!

I've completed the decals this morning so I'm waiting for the gloss to dry now. They've taken a few days as the MarkFit reacts with the Humbrol gloss leaving a 'white' patch when dry. However, reapplying the gloss makes it disappear and brings the colour back. It's just a case of waiting for layers to dry where there are decals upon decals.

Should be just be a case of panel lines and light weathering followed by a dull coat before putting the smaller pieces on the airframe.

Right, I'm off to watch FP3 and Qualifying in the interim 🏁

2m11NfB%5D

2m11NfS%5D

• Like 6

Oh I do like that, Nigel! Beautiful looking paintwork and decals!! Very impressive all round!

Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix  :happy:  She's all done now and in the gallery 

Thanks for the chance to build this one. I've thoroughly enjoyed it!! :headphones:

Cheers

Nigel

2kZZzcc%5D

2kZUQAC%5D

2kZYtU8%5D

2kZUQzf%5D

2m13ss5%5D

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Congratulations Nigel, both on being first in the gallery and on creating such a beautiful model.

You really have done a great job on her mate and showed what is possible with these new and cheap Airfix kits.

Very well done mate.

Thanks Craig - Really kind of you fella :blush:

Not sure what the write-ups say about this one but it was very well engineered and almost fell together. A real pleasure to build at the end of the day (primer mishap aside :whistle: )

• Like 1

It looks terrific. I like how you even got the cutouts in the invasion stripe decals to line up with the cannon fairings - that was the cherry on top for me.

A tiny criticism - could you find a slightly darker background for your photos, or tweak up the brightness? In the topside shots, the model is too dark to fully appreciate the results of all your hard work!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1