Hello from a complete novice, glad to have found this site.

Larrikin

Hey all,

I sort of stumble across the hobby, iv never really built a model other than from a kinder surprise but I noticed my neighbour was in the process of moving out and had got a skip bin, so I went around an asked if there was spare room could I throw an old desk on top, the guy who lived there had moved out already but the people cleaning the house at the time were fine with it and as I hurled the table in to the bin. I saw SO many broken kits, loose pieces, half built models  just smashed at the bottom, I couldn’t bring myself to just leave them to become landfill  so i asked if I could grab a few, the guy didn’t mind so I saved as many complete kits as I could (after lurking this site for about a week now I wish I had saved the loose kits/pieces to make mix match models) the ones I did save are from the early 80’s mid 90’s I think me are mostly aircraft ,the box are ruff,some don’t have instructions and the decals are toasted but all the pieces are still in the trees, some are even still in the plastic unopened.

Here’s a list of complete kits with link to photo:

https://ibb.co/B6yM0XD

>Hasegawa; 1:72 Curtiss soc3 seagull gd condition 

>Dragon; 1:48 Spad 13 *no bust of Edward Vernon rickenbacker* 

>Italaerei; 1:72 Junkers ju52 3m(g5-g9) 2 versions, sea/transport plane  

>hobby craft: 1:48 Russian front bf109g-3/4

>matchbox: 1:72 Handley heyford mk1 mk2/3 

>airfix:1:72 dornier 17 

>Lindberg;1:43 Gloster Gladiator 

>super model; 1:72 Aer macchi c.205 veltro

>hasegawa : 1/8 Lewis .303 

>super model: 1:72 aeronautica macchi c 203 folgore

>hasegawa: 1:72 mirage f 1c French fighter 

And a few super scale 120 mm figurines but the goal is to learn enough to build and paint one of the unopened kits I’m leaning towards the dragon spad 13 or italaerei Junkers hu52.

Iv lurked enough and googled the crap out of model building to have the courage to try an attempt the gloster gladiator and the dornier 17 as practice but I didn’t paint them and you guessed it there covered in gluey finger prints and gaps lol but I enjoyed it learnt a lot like filling and sanding the tabs is a must plus dry fit the pieces befor glueing haha 

im glad to of found such an in-depth community to join and learn from hopefully I can make a contribution to the site in future. 

Thanks from that larrikin builder. 

• Like 6

An Aussie called Larrikin, well I never. :D

Welcome mate. from the other side of the bubble, I'll look forward to seeing some stuff from you, just remember, if in doubt ask, there're some very smart people around here. If you're doing searches, it is often better to use google that the forum search engine but put Britmodeller in the search term on google, eg Britmodeller RAAF WW2 colours or similar, you'll get a lot more hits that way, the forum search engine can be a bit clunky.

Steve.

Welcome to BM; I'm new to this sort of thing myself and the people here have been nothing but friendly and helpful.  This has made getting stuck in so much easier.

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

First and foremost, have fun! Also, view every build as a learning experience. Test fit each part before you glue it. Nail care abrasive sticks make fine tools. Perhaps start with the simplest looking kits. Float alignment on the Ju-52 may be difficult, but you could assess during the build and opt for the land version. The biplanes will be more difficult with wing alignment and rigging (which you could skip).

There are several online sites with kit instructions, Google is your friend. No doubt you can find some WIPs (works in progress) here for the specific models you have. WIPs are an excellent resource.

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

First and foremost, have fun! Also, view every build as a learning experience.

That's sound advice for novices and experts alike. Larrikin, welcome to Britmodeler. It sounds like you already have a very good impression of the site and your impression is quite accurate. I'm very confident you'll have a great time here.

Gidday Larrikin …:post1: from the city by the lake Chicago USA, Im mostly an aircraft builder myself. If you will a suggestion, start a work in progress in the aircraft section. Members will visit, chat, offer ideas and tips, and actually may have built the kit you're working on. They can tell you were the problems and pitfalls are in the kit also. 

Dennis

Welcome to both the hobby and the site! You couldn't have picked a better venue, with lots of talented, very sociable and patient modelers to learn from and simply hang out with.

Even my stupid questions have been met with good humor and friendly acceptance (and I've been at the hobby for 50+ years, so should really know better anyway).

A great place to dive in and get your feet wet. Don't be the least hesitant about asking questions -- remember, we all started out where you are now. We also love photos, so don't be shy about showing your work.