U.M. BT-2 ***Complete***

Hi All

U.M. BT-2 or to give it U.M.'s full name Wheel-track tank BT-2 in 1:72

I was digging through my ebay history and this was my cheapest purchase at £4.19 of course it would've been about double that with postage. But I think its a perfect project.

The evidence 🧐

BT-2.PNG

Thanks Mr or Mrs spikeloony.

a few box shots

20210514_225302.jpg

20210514_225316.jpg

I find it interesting the Christie has been translated 3 different ways for the English, German and Polish version.

Happy Modelling

• Like 8

Time to get the box open.

As far as I remember BT tanks could be driven without their tracks and could be done so on roads. So adding the tracks is optional. 

20210514_225410.jpg

Some interesting paint schemes, things were a bit more fancy pre and early war, or they could be.

20210514_225424.jpg

And the sprues, i'm quite impressed, difficult to see in the pic but the tracks have what looks like great detail on both sides. and a manageable amount of photoetch.

The decal sheet has been pierced by the sprues after years of close contact, but it doesnt look serious. Hobby knife sneaked in to the photo, obviously raring to go.

20210514_225744.jpg

• Like 3

Hi sardaukar and welcome to the GB. Really nice choice of kit for this GB. I've got a 1/35 version of this vehicle so I'm looking forward to following your progress of this 1/72nd version.

Kind regards,

Stix

Got stuck right into this one.

Progress from when I shouldve went to bed last night.

20210516_021904.jpg

20210516_021915.jpg

However when I actually went to bed early this morning.

20210516_130043.jpg

20210516_130029.jpg

20210516_130021.jpg

20210516_130004.jpg

its not a bad little kit, the photo etch didnt go too badly, however i decided not to use the PE tow shackles for the rear they are tiny and bent way to easily. I may replace them with something from the bits box. If that's allowed?

There isnt much in the way of keying for most parts which means eyeballing a lot of the fit. None at all on the wheels. I think i've gotten over confident with my new snips the main barrel snapped as I was taking it off the sprue. The kit might have gone back in the box at this point until I found an aftermarket barrel, not much of an option this time, tamiya extra thin seems to be holding it for now.

Some more prep for painting up next. I still need to decide on the colour scheme, winter ones seem common on this tank.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

If that's allowed?

Certainly is. Great to see your build is underway. Looking good too. Annoying about the barrel though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Certainly is. Great to see your build is underway. Looking good too. Annoying about the barrel though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cool.  The barrel is noticeable in the photos above, I may have a plastic 2 pounder in the bits box which shouldnt look too out of place.

• Like 1

All primed up, it might need a few gaps filled. I went with the barrel, it didn't look too bad after a bit of a scrape.

Then the colour scheme 🌈

20210517_220248.jpg

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 3

Lovely progress sardaukar. Looking good in its primer coat. I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

An update, I got a new phone, a pixel 4a, it seems decent, hopefully will be good for these pics.

I got the next coat on, yes its boring Russian Green 4BO Vallejo model air. However I have something planned beyond this but you will need to wait and see.

I used Vallejo panzer aces track primer on the tracks, it looks grey in the bottle but once on its almost brown, trying something a bit different from just doing gunmetal for the tracks with washes.

PXL_20210520_213158470.jpg

• Like 4

Winter camouflage seems fairly common on BT tanks I've seen online, (well models and camo schemes).

I got some chipping vallejo medium and wanted to give it a go as well.

I sprayed the masked tank with a coating of chipping medium, and then gave it a coat of white plus some aged white. I then freehanded the cross hatching on the Green stripes after removing the blutac.

I have been working on the tank with some water, a clean brush and a cocktail stick to get the chipping.

Once I'm happy with the chipping it will get a clear coat and then weathering, and and I suspect no decals.

PXL_20210523_001154645.jpg

• Like 1

Hi sardaukar. That looking great in it's white wash coat.....and what an interesting scheme for the whitewash! Haven't seen that before. Looking very good. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Decided to put the wheels on probably couldve left it until last.

The model has had a gloss coat and now an enamel wash.

I'm thinking the chipping would work better on a larger model. Less might be more at this scale.

Still have the tracks and the exhaust to do and then some weathering.

PXL_20210525_233500760.jpg

PXL_20210525_233527182.jpg

PXL_20210525_233538184.jpg

• Like 5

Hello

Got the tracks on, link and length tracks can be a bit fiddly but these were without a doubt the worst I've dealt with in my relatively short modelling career. :wall:

They almost came in for a smashing.

I suspect I shoulve done the enamel wash after id put them on and the tamiya super thin may have worked a bit faster, anyway they still need touched up.

PXL_20210527_221640294.jpg

• Like 4

HI sardaukar. I'm sorry the tracks caused so much trauma!! It looks like you got the better of them in the end - plus with some touch ups and a bit of mud they'll really look the business. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Hello

Ok pretty much done for now.

One muddy BT-2 in winter camo, the thaw must've started, as there are no visible markings, unknown unit.

PXL_20210602_212920065.jpg

PXL_20210602_212927426.jpg

PXL_20210602_212939049.jpg

PXL_20210602_212949328.jpg

PXL_20210602_212956590.jpg

PXL_20210602_213003343.jpg

PXL_20210602_213009517.jpg

And some shots on my still unfinished base, not Kursk this time :)

PXL_20210602_213024475.jpg

PXL_20210602_213036493.jpg

PXL_20210602_213045337.jpg

PXL_20210602_213054826.jpg

Will leave it for a bit before declaring it done.

It is a nice little kit. and the tracks I guess aren't too bad.

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 6

Hey Sardauker, this looks great, interesting pattern on paint. Breakaway from typical green camo. Nice weathering. Can't wait to see finished article and Dio base. The base would look awesome if it was either really narled and bombed out, almost moonscape or on the other end of scale pristine cobbled road, that was you'd end up with a great contrast to a weathered afv or a landscape which matches it's weathering. Just the shots of the grey/unfinished base got me thinking. Then again I might be over stating it as this GBs not really about the vignette base. ....anyway nice model work here. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Hey Sardauker, this looks great, interesting pattern on paint. Breakaway from typical green camo. Nice weathering. Can't wait to see finished article and Dio base. The base would look awesome if it was either really narled and bombed out, almost moonscape or on the other end of scale pristine cobbled road, that was you'd end up with a great contrast to a weathered afv or a landscape which matches it's weathering. Just the shots of the grey/unfinished base got me thinking. Then again I might be over stating it as this GBs not really about the vignette base. ....anyway nice model work here. 

Thanks @Muchmirth for the kind comments, the paint scheme I found through google searches and it is a variant on the winter whitewash camo and I thought it was cool. The tank itself is pretty much done, I've added a wash to the MG that I somehow forgot but that's about it for my plans.

The base I actually bought for the Pz III group build but I decided building bases was a whole modelling discipline of its own that I wasn't quite ready to get into. Its actually a resin base from Modelltrans that I've only base coated so far and its actually a North African ww2 base and not Kursk or even Finland in this case., The base is nice for a few action pics. BT tanks were fast so I like the idea of it zooming up an incline and gathering mud.

For the PzIII build I did have some ideas of adding a fleeing crew from a knocked out Panzer, but then is starts to creep into a diorama. I don't think this is against the rules and far from it but right now I am all about the tanks and if my plans align with group builds then its a great bonus.

Edited by sardaukar
  • Like 2

On 03/06/2021 at 00:39, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! I can see why you might have issues with the tracks, but they look better than a rubber band track would have done. Smashing build!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, and you are right, rubber band tracks rarely look better than link and length.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, have been away for a bit, busy with work and other projects.

At the weekend I built on a whim one of my Imperial Japanese Army Tanks in the stash, well more of a Tankette really. It was only after I finished the build I realised it could've been a candidate for inclusion here, I think it was around £8 new.

PXL_20210705_212023844.jpg

The Battle of Khalkhin Gol relived on my cutting map.

PXL_20210705_212002590.jpg

It is an IBG 1:72 TYPE 94 Japanese Tankette.

I'm not including it as an entry I was just amazed at how tiny it is in 1/72nd and thought some might be interested. Plus not sure when I will get round to painting it. BT-2 for scale also that is 1cm grid.

• Like 3