Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a - [Finished]

Dear HP

As the panel lines are very deep I found it difficult to get the large decals on without silvering, evenover a gloss coat and Daco Red decal setting solution. I suggest a round of filler to reduce the the panel ine depth.

regards Toby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work, HP, this is coming together really nicely!

I know Stix has offered already, but if the replacement canopy doesn't turn up I can get one in the post straight away.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I meant to add in the previous post that the replacement canopy arrived the day after I paid for it, and is being prepped.  But thanks for the offer @2996 Victor most appreciated.

Great news, HP, that's good service from Airfix!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies peeps, all 3 of my current group builds got put on hold, I had a lot on in real life and didn't get much time for modelling.  But I return from a family break in a lodge in the woods in North Wales all refreshed.  I just need to replace some of the detail masking tape that has kinked and moved during the time it spent idle, then I can resume painting this.  FYI, I can't justify buying numerous specific paint colours, especially when I'm unlikely to use them again, so I will be mixing up the closest approximate brown and green I can for the camo.

• Like 2

So after realising that there's just over a week left I thought I'd better pull my finger out with this.  Got work replacing all the masking tape edging that had peeled up, carefully lining it up with the previous paint line etc.  Then with my hands full tried to grab some tissue while thinning paint, knocked some sellotape off the top of my spray booth straight on to the Spit.  Knocked the antenna off, and it is nowhere to be found, even after 30 mins searching and much strong language :(

v4v0CXM.jpg

And to make matters worse, my phone would not focus on the damage and insisted on focussing on the lettering behind 😡

Still, its had its coat of dark earth-ish (Vallejo English Uniform 921, which according to some Googling is a very close match to the actual colour) and is drying before a second layer.

• Like 3

Brown layer on first.

hdXWLIb.jpg

Masked with Blu-Tac.

LqUx3EN.jpg

Happy with that for my first camo job.  All constructive criticism welcome though if there is anything I could do better.

uecyDmY.jpg

d4Y1c0U.jpg

• Like 5

Finished!  Although I dropped it and knocked that radio antenna off while taking final photos but it will be re-attached this afternoon.  It was damn fiddly to do once, so chill and repair it later :)

JoxNJ1d.jpg

• Like 3

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a - [Finished]

Hi Paul. I am really impressed with your Spitfire! It looks stunningly beautiful in the Gallery!! You have done an excellent job with it! Very well done! :worthy:

And thank you for building it in this GB. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1