Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a - [Finished]

Hi again HP. Another good choice of kit and an excellent introduction the art of Spitfire kit building. I've built this kit in the past and enjoyed it. Looking forward to following your first Spitfire build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi HP,

not sure if you're aware of The Spitfire Site, but there's a great photo shoot of an early interior here if you're interested. Admittedly, its a Mk.VB, but has a good deal in common with the preceding marks.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My apologies people, I lost my modelling mojo for a brief bit.  Started with a few days where I was unable to find the time to carry on, then I just slumped and was finding other things to do, then 3 weeks ago I decided it was time to replace my car so that took the focus of my excitement and time.

But I'm back on it now, cockpit painted and detailed, pilot still needs a fair bit of finishing.

XgTrxly.jpg

Just need to get IP decal on and top coat it all.

• Like 2

Well, thought I was ready to get the fuselage together

TN3X3UX.jpg

but after re-checking the destructions I realised I missed a piece that is now prepped for painting.  Prop's ready though :)

CLiN2Jq.jpg

• Like 5

I also forgot to add, but you may have noticed that once again I had to perform some very severe and crude surgery to get the pilot to fit in his seat.  Don't know why I bother painting boots on pilots 😐 

• Haha 3

So I painted the inside of the wings as per the instructions

KtzR87u.jpg

But looking as the scheme on the box its had me paint the wrong inner white, and not enough to cover the whole wheel.  Can anyone confirm, should it be the other wing inner white, and further out to cover the wheel well?

O6Eodb7.jpg

• Like 2

She's looking good so far old fruit.Unfortunately the black and white are the other way round,this from the Ducimus guide on the Boxart Den,

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

At least it's only the wheel wells and not the whole wing.As I understand it the inside of the fuselage should be silver from the frame the seat hangs on all the way to the rudder post.Keep up the good work :goodjob: .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi HP. Well, despite the underside paintwork confusion,  it looks like you have been making superb progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Not much been happening on the modelling front due to the heat. As I said in my EC135 build, in my little hobby cave even with the window and door open and a fan behind me, my desk thermometer was still showing 30.6°C at midnight for the last few nights (there are also 3 PC's in here running all the time which doesn't help).

But I have got around to fixing the paint mixup on the wings, and attached the lower wing piece to the fuselage.  But the top parts appear to need some sanding back at the wing root before they will fit in place correctly...

TuoZUV3.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely gutted, I've split the canopy while trying to secure it to apply the masks for painting :(  Its still in one piece, so its going to have to do for now.

rztmKAP.jpg

• Sad 1

Well I've emailed Airfix service to see how much a replacement canopy will cost.  In the meantime I can still use this one to protect the cockpit detail so I can prime it up and see if there are any places that need smoothing or rescribing prior to paint.  I've masked the canopy up just in case I have to use it.  Luckily its a tight enough fit to not need glue but can still be popped out carefully if I do get a replacement.

jT1oH80.jpg

• Like 2

Hi HP. Well the Spitfire itself is looking awesome - but what a shame about the canopy! Hopefully Airfix will be able to supply a replacement. If I get chance - and I make no promises - I will have a look through my spares box over the weekend - just in case I've got anything that might be a suitable replacement.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1