The Battle of Britain in real life and on film.

"What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire."

It also depends on me "finishing off this little lot" while crowbarring in as many film references as posible.

First up four "Einkels". Three merlin Engined. One CASA in Spanish markings (Airfix Heavy Metal new tool), two Battle of Britain film (One Airfix new tool, one Revell) and one as nature intended (Airfix new tool).

51150978285_36038a5194_b.jpg

I'm using some Lancaster engine nacells and a merlin Beaufighter conversion.

• Like 26

Mein Gott! This looks to be a very interesting build indeed.. and love the prospect of film references ! But " if I have to inspect one more bomber I won't put you forward for your promotion " 😂😂

"Shitehawk to Spring Chicken in one easy lesson. rattta tatta tattta tatta!"

An absolute stonker of a film with memorable dialogue and amazing aerial shots! One wonders how much the aircraft used during filming would fetch these days? 2 mil a spitfire easily...

welcome to BM and I will settle back at Red Section dispersal with the Polish Hurricane Pilots saying " Repeat Please!" 😂

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll be along for this, still the best movie ever to my obviously unbiased view. :D 

Steve.

Don't forget Aces High and Twelve A'clock High as contenders too... The Great Escape .. might have to have a film binge watching sessoin soon! 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Mein Gott! This looks to be a very interesting build indeed.. and love the prospect of film references ! But " if I have to inspect one more bomber I won't put you forward for your promotion "

"Give me a staffel of Spitfires!" (which Galland actually did say to Goering at about that time according to his biography).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paws4thot said:

"Give me a staffel of Spitfires!" (which Galland actually did say to Goering at about that time according to his biography).

Ha yes he did say that and it's represented in the film! Galland was a very complex character and became very good friends with both Douglas Bader and Robert Stanford Tuck post war. I even think I'm correct in saying that RST became godfather to Adolf Galland's son! Christopher Foxley-Norris had a different view of him he said " Galland was a  shi* " lol. I'm prepared to accept he wasn't as I can't believe The uncompromising Bader would have been friends with him otherwise. Adolfo Galland appeared on This Is Your Life in 1974  when DB was the subject. 

• Like 4

And a "Hispanoschmitt" in the background. Incidentally, did you know that the Spanish Air force were still operating these, and are credited with playing the Luftwaffe in the film? (which also explains the lack of any actual Dorniers.)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paws4thot said:

And a "Hispanoschmitt" in the background. Incidentally, did you know that the Spanish Air force were still operating these, and are credited with playing the Luftwaffe in the film? (which also explains the lack of any actual Dorniers.)

Yes Indeed! Not surprising as at the time the film was made General Franco was still in power... 😉

Good grief, was it 1968, thought it may have been earlier, 'cos I and my brother were at Bovingdon when the Luftwaffe fleet was assembled and it was well before emigration in 1969.

It was indeed a grey and miserable day.

From memory [all my photos of the occasion were lost in one of many company moves], there were 3 Heinkels, 6 Bouchons, a Proctor [?] dressed down to resemble a Stuka and the camera ship was a Mitchell.

None of the RAF aircraft were part of the assembly on the day we saw them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roginoz said:

was it 1968

Yes, and one of the first feature films I ever saw in a cinema. I did get up at the intermission, so I could get a closer look at the 1/6 Scale 'einkel (Well CASA 111) model displayed at the front of the cinema.

• Like 3

On 15/05/2021 at 11:19, Paws4thot said:

In the film some of the Spanish roundals can be seen beneath the German splinter camo. Something I'm toying with replicating on the models.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Didn’t some of the aerial footage get recycled into Piece of Cake in the late 80s?

Yes, and several other films.  Check the Wikipedia "Battle of Britain (film)" for all the details.

Mike