MiG-21s - can an Indian M be built from a MF?

RidgeRunner

Just putting out a feeler for information about the specfics needed to get an Indian MiG-21M. My gut tells me it can come from the MF or M kits (Eduard). Am I right?

As always, your input will be invaluable. 

Martin

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-1171-mig-21mf-bis-in-indian-service--145738

Off the top of my head the main difference between both types is in rear view mirror/periscope, which one version is equiped with and the other is not. I have Eduard weekend edition of MF kit in 1/48, and it comes with various cockpit canopies with or without that mirror. So, one only needs suitable decals. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-1171-mig-21mf-bis-in-indian-service--145738

Off the top of my head the main difference between both types is in rear view mirror/periscope, which one version is equiped with and the other is not. I have Eduard weekend edition of MF kit in 1/48, and it comes with various cockpit canopies with or without that mirror. So, one only needs suitable decals. Cheers

Jure

That sounds very encouraging, Jure. Thank you.

Martin

24 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

That sounds very encouraging, Jure. Thank you.

Martin

@Jure Miljevic Hi again Jure, As you have the Eduard MiG-21MF/Bis kit can I ask you what differences Eduard include in the kit between the two variants. Knowing this could help me decide how to convert an Eduard MF to a Bis in 1/72 :)

Thank you.

Martin

• Like 1

Hello, Martin

I actually have MiG-21 MF weekend edition kit, the one with NVA (East Germany air force) markings, which does not include parts for bis version. IIRC, the main differences between MF and bis are in air intake ring (circular on MF and slightly pear shaped and a bit smaller on bis), different Pitot tube and added navigational system antenna on bis interceptors just below intake (I think, at least the first series of Yugoslav bis aircraft had them), dorsal spine (bigger, more rounded hump on bis), and, depending on manufacturer, panels on upper wing surfaces. There is probably more (wheels?), but this is what I can recall at the moment without acces to my sources.

I think Eduard announced MiG-21 bis kit in 1/72. Cheers

Jure

8 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I think Eduard announced MiG-21 bis kit in 1/72

Thanks Jure. Sadly, they say they have no plans for a bis in 1/72 :(

Apologies for butting in, but it seemed like a good a place as any. I'm a recently-joined member of the MiG-21 fan club and am still unsure of just what exactly defines each variant/sub-variant. It would be very useful to collate in one place which variants can be built from the various  1/72 MiG-21 kits and what parts or modifications would be needed for them. For example, for an FL, you would need Kit A as a base, with either the wings from Kit B or a rescribe job on the original kit's wings.

While I don't know enough to contribute information, I'd be more than happy to start a new thread and keep it updated if we all think the idea has legs.

Cheers,

Mark.

11 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Apologies for butting in, but it seemed like a good a place as any. I'm a recently-joined member of the MiG-21 fan club and am still unsure of just what exactly defines each variant/sub-variant. It would be very useful to collate in one place which variants can be built from the various  1/72 MiG-21 kits and what parts or modifications would be needed for them. For example, for an FL, you would need Kit A as a base, with either the wings from Kit B or a rescribe job on the original kit's wings.

While I don't know enough to contribute information, I'd be more than happy to start a new thread and keep it updated if we all think the idea has legs.

Cheers,

Mark.

I'd be up for it, Mark. It is a big subject, though, and could get quite involved :(. To me simplicity is the key, more of a starting point and a yes/no as to whjat can be produced from what. The actual detail can be conveyed later. It could be the production of a simple table that shows something like:

1. Variant

2. Available kits of the variant

3. Kits need to produce the variant

4. A high level description of what changes are required

For example:

Variant                          Kits available                 Kits needed to produce the variant                A high level description of what is required

MiG-21FL                     None                              PF and PFM (Eduard)                                      Use PF with PFM fin and spine

Like you, I'm no expert but call on those who are and then match that against every bit of reference that I can find ;)

Martin

• Like 2

See if these help.

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21_variants

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/mig-21/mig-21_all.shtml

Scroll down to see diagrams of Mig-21 variants

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/mig-21-vs-the-f-104-and-the-century-series.50652/

The there's the OOP 4+ Publications Mig-21 monograph that has descriptions of all variants as well as 1/72 drawings- probably hard to find, and I don't recall it has been re-printed- you can't have my copy!

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

what differences Eduard include in the kit between the two variants. Knowing this could help me decide how to convert an Eduard MF to a Bis in 1/72

Hi Martin,

I have another opinion. As bis had more powerful engine it had both slightly larger round intake with shorter lip than the MF. This (and next ppoint) is easy to see from good nose profile photos, Extreme front part was also slightly more bulbous than MF - Eduard 1/48 didn't take this into account. Early aircraft had windscreen side windows with rounded corners, later were angular. In 1/72 Zvezda spine front part is quite fine but back end starting ca, main wheel is too narrow. RV/KP spine is too big for bis.

Correct Eduard 1/72 MF to start is that one they call "interceptor".

Cheers,

AaCee 

• Thanks 1