Airfix 1/72 Swordfish

Lovely, neat build despite the rough texture of the kit. I've noticed a slightly rough texture on Airfix kits, along with their use of a softer plastic than that from the old days. 

Edge

Beautiful build.

I gave up on one I started because it insisted on a serious anhedral in the lower wings that I couldn't correct; it looked awful.

Beautiful.

I have two in stash, one landplane and one floatplane, none of the issues above in my kits. However they are both from the earlier boxings.

Edited by Patrik

I had 2 of these - the first had very bad texture problems on the fuselage. I then got the seaplane version which was a bit better on the fuselage, but worse on the wings.

Eventually I combined the best bits of the two kits and cleaned things up to an acceptable level. Both disappointing and surprising as I have built a good number of Airfix kits and have never seen this before.

Cheers

Colin

That looks gorgeous,  great work,  I like this scheme  too. I have one planned very soon , will have to take a look at the sprue and see what the texture of the kit parts is like.

Thanks for the heads up. 

Chris 

Those sprues look awful. I've never seen anything as bad on any of my new tool kits. But you've produced a very impressive model. Nice photos too.

I just checked my two kits, the floatplane and the Taranto raid ones. Both are fairly early releases and both look smooth.

The Taranto kit looks the have a little texture, but it feels smooth. I don't think it's anything that would show through a coat of paint.

Your Swordfish looks great. Something to aim for if I ever get to mine.

Chris

Same here as Chris, mine being the standard kit.  Very slight grain on the fabric parts and smooth on the metal areas.  I wish I'd waited for the Taranto raid one as I had to buy the Xtradecal sheet.  For the sake of other modellers, I hope that you've just got a bad one: but those lumps on the fuselage makes me wonder if the mould surface is breaking up.  

• Like 1

If I'd had to guess, it's more the handling when getting them out of the moulds.

We've seen short shots in one batch, and none at all in the next - while using the same moulds (no they're not exactly cheap and no there aren't 'a couple of copies lying around')

14 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Hi all,

Just finished my Airfix 1/72 Swordfish 😬

Firstly the good stuff - it’s a beauty of a kit. I ended up going off piste and constructed/ painted/ rigged the wings separately to the fuselage. I added them right at the end and - they just clicked into place! Not even any glue required. The decals were sublime, as good as anything I’ve ever used before.

Secondly the less good stuff - the surface textures looked, frankly, awful! 🥴 So poor in fact I thought there must have been an issue with the moulding. Everything was gritty. I contacted Airfix with pictures and they very efficiently sent me a complete new set of sprues. However, these weren’t much better! I ended up having to sand down pretty much everything. This seemed slightly odd? Anyone else have that issue? But once that hurdle was crossed, a great fun build 👍 I’ve added a couple of pictures of the offending surfaces.

It sits very nicely next to my recent Armstrong Whitworth Siskin and Hawker Demon ☺️

Anyway, here she is...

Thanks 

Guy

72-CF46-E3-56-C3-4611-96-C7-C943620-AE7-

69-AEA3-E0-F2-B8-48-C2-9084-FAD4-E859815

59453-B11-C65-C-405-F-8-C8-E-DDADDA756-F

6-D512468-16-D4-4-DD6-9475-C79-A6-AB8-C5

87-F3-AFB4-6-B05-47-E3-A2-F6-7451-EEDC41

8-A8-F35-B5-28-FF-40-D7-907-B-84-A10168-

BE291-C88-607-C-4-B8-F-B717-E18-A27-CCDD

DAFD1-A93-E893-4-DB6-B6-FA-743-E73-D4823

AF68-FFB9-AB15-44-F5-AB74-5-E80-D4-F7990

E218-C2-B4-0-B9-F-4-DF6-B3-B6-6063-C869-

E52-DBC86-3-D0-A-41-D4-B051-098-B32-F70-

E800-D613-C147-42-BA-BD16-85-FE698-FF249

F7-B3-D9-DD-AFCD-4-CD1-A3-BD-C4096132655

...and the not so good....🤨

2057-D558-4916-4752-9988-95622-B4-F59-BE

6-ADC44-B2-2-A6-E-4137-96-FE-281-C6-A32-

B6-F5-E7-DD-9-E8-E-447-E-A604-E88-CF4219

Very impressive despite the challenges!

Thanks!

What worried me more was that their ‘technical team’ told me there were no issues with the sprues they had in stock, then sent me a set with exactly the same problem...

I did read somewhere that a smooth surface is difficult to achieve as it tends to stick to the moulds - but every other manufacturer manages it. I’ve got a cheap 20+ year old academy kit in my stash with flawlessly smooth mouldings and detail.

I'm a huge Airfix fan - I so want their kits to be great, but they do have issues - overscale panel lines (I have their 1/72 Mk I Spit in the stash and it looks like a Lego kit 🥴), surface moulding and the odd problematic fit etc. Maybe I’m just spoilt from building Wingnut Wings and Tamiya.

Guy