RAF Harrier GR.7 Operation Telic 2003

I've never done a work in progress - other than as part of a group build - so I thought that I'd be brave and start one. My last build didn't end well so this is a 'getting back on the bike' build to get something to the end.

I recently acquired this kit at a reasonable price from a well known on-line auction site so since it was on top of the pile, comes with some resin, brass, a mask and decent decals I thought I'd give it a go. Weaponry will need to be added later.

Harrier_1.jpg 

I'm going to build it as ZG479 a GR.7 with 100% LERX taking part in Operation Telic.

Harrier_2_(2).jpg 

Hopefully, this should be a reasonably problem free build.

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

We seem to be making slow progress on this one. The good news is that there's been a delivery from Hannants so we now have these:

Photo2.jpg

The challenge that I see is that the TIALD pod doesn't include the pylon I need in order to mount it on the harrier. The aircraft I was aiming for carried this under the left side of the fuselage - with a LID mounted on the right side but the TIALD doesn't include a pylon.

Any thoughts on where I can source one?

• Like 3

I'm also attempting a rather unconventional construction order. So, I've assembled the wings, fuselage and nose section as three large sub-assemblies, I think (!) that this should work and it will mean that I can clean up the forward intake to fuselage join to make sure that it's nice and smooth before mounting the nose to the main section.

The challenge it creates is getting the nose and the intakes to meet with the fuselage.

photo1.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well - let me say that that approach didn't work!

I joined the wing onto the upper fuselage at the rear in order to try and get a smooth join between two large pieces. However, this meant that getting the nose on became almost impossible and the intakes wouldn't line up. There was a real twist in the fuselage which meant that the LERX were then misaligned to one side. Dramatic surgery ensued - I ripped the wing off and started on a more conventional approach. This meant join nose to fuselage, then the wing went on and finally the intake. Next apply large quantities of filler around the fuselage sides and LERX.

Anyway, this is where we're up to.

Harrier3.jpg

I'm going to give it a coat of primer and then have a good look at the rear wing to fuselage join and also the join of the LERX to the wong. I think that under primer they'll be OK - but otherwise it will be back to the filler.

• 1 month later...

Some models seem to be a battle which sap your modelling mojo - and this one is one of them. However, it is now starting to come together, helped by paint, decals and pylons!

With the basic colours in place the model looked pretty poor to my eyes and I must admit that I lost the desire to do much on it because it seemed like a bit of a losing battle.

Harrier4_(2).jpg

This has the two shades of grey - the newer, darker scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Camouflage Grey but with masking still in place.

However, add decals, and critically pylons and it starts to look like this:

Harrier5_(2).jpg

At the moment the tails are simply resting in place and they need to fit a bit tighter. However, there is something about the character of the Harrier which is brought out through all those pylons. Without them it just looks odd. Hopefully, we're on the closing straight with this one now. Still needs the weaponry (tanks, TIALD, BOL launchers, AIM-9L, BL755 and Paveways), the majority of the undercarriage and lots of small parts - but at least it is starting to look like a harrier. I must remember to add the distinctive weathering under the wings and fuselage as well.

• Like 5

It's starting to come together now - weathering, weapons and small parts still to come. Touching up is also needed on the outrigger tyres - although I'm just pleased that all wheels are on the ground. The jet nozzles are also only push fitted and when I look at the photos they don't seem to be sitting right for now.

Harrier8_(2).jpg

Harrier7_(2).jpg

• Like 2