Piper Aircraft restorations to 1/72.

Continuing my programme of clearing my back log of unfinished and old models worthy of completing here are a couple more. They are Aurora kits to 1/72nd . I built all these back in the 1970s. The PA23 Aztec C in bits has just had all the paint scrubbed off courtesy Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, the other one is in white primer but I modified the nose to make it a bit pointy representing an Aztec E.  I just need to find an easy colour scheme for it and am scouring all the pics I can find on line. The other one I have had the original decals copied and will use those as the originals are a little yellow.

Next, the PA-28 Cherokee 140 which is going to go on for a repaint soon.  The 'rego' G-ATUM was actually worn by another completely different type but I used it for this BA Flying Club as a bit counter factual.  Again, I have an original set of decals for it and a copy , the as per the Aztec and will use them for this refurb.

1h2fn6.jpg

I also need to , somehow, make a couple of new undercarriage doors for one of them because they have been lost.
vdtdKO.jpg

The reggie lettering on the Cherokee was from Letraset rub down stuff. \Remember them?

• Like 13

Nice collection of Pipers you have there Paul! I will certainly keep an eye on this if you don't mind. One day I will build an Aztec (I need to find a kit first) despite the fact that it is the one I hate most of all those aircraft I've flown...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

There was a British-registered Aztec with Union Jacks painted on the upper surfaces of the wings. It featured in several aviation magazines some years ago. It would make a striking model, but I have lost all references to it, including the registration.

23 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

There was a British-registered Aztec with Union Jacks painted on the upper surfaces of the wings. It featured in several aviation magazines some years ago. It would make a striking model, but I have lost all references to it, including the registration.

I know the one you mean. I recall seeing it at Gatwick in the days I was spotting, I think it was G-BAVY belonging to British Car Auctions but not sure.

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much with these lately and very much on pause;but will get on with at least one of the Aztecs very soon. Still need to decide on the longer nosed Aztec and Cherokee.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Did a tiny bit with this today. Fixing the windshield in place and masking them ready for some white primer and a gloss coating of white. All the bits for both are there except I am missing a couple main undercarriage doors. I have enough for one complete but will need to scratch new ones for the other. The model to the left on it wheels has an elongated pointier nose in my attempt to make an Aztec E . But still need to decide on a colour scheme. One I have found is a Spanish Air Force one that might be the choice.

• 1 month later...

About time I updated and got on with this project that has been lingering a bit.  I have applied the decals that were made for me from the original kit ones.  The solid red areas are actually solid red decals from the Xtradecal stripe sets. I carefully measured the ones for the engine nacelles to approximate shape to fit. And the nose section was roughly cut to shape from a stencil I made from paper. There just remains some white strips to edge of some areas. On the port engine, the dark blue (Xtracolor enamel gloss sea blue) is painted with the starboard side yet to be done. There is some fine white piping to be added to more or less complete the tricky areas around the engine. Across the top behind the prop, the blue and red is separated with a white stripe ( yet to be done as it takes a while for the decal to settle and to get the curves about right. Originally it was supposed to be a scalloped shape but after trying several times to get the very thin white stripe decal to 'bend' I gave up and will do it  differently but with the same effect. The underside of the same area, the blue tapers to a point and again there is a white stripe near the edge of the blue giving the pinstripe effect. Its going to be tricky and time consuming but I'll get there.

GoLHGx.jpg

Still a bit of tidying up needed around the windshield base.
QPDGCc.jpg

UjzaAL.jpg

In the last pic (above) you can see my other Aurora Cherokee that was in the pseudo BA colour scheme as in a pic at the start of this thread. Its going to be finished with the same freshly done decals (as original,) as per my Jet Commander and Aztec

IRR7Cw.jpg

The 'new' decals from original Aurora sets from the kits.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished now. I know its been a long haul but I only do any modelling when I have the feels for it. Meanwhile here are a couple pics of the Cherokee on its way to being completed after a repaint and fresh decals.

6Xyhai.jpg

x2jIJi.jpg

It looks a bit different now to when it was finished in a BA scheme. I am using custom made decals based on the original kit ones I still have but are unuseable for this .   As can be seen the prop needs finishing and  a little work around the wind shield.  I think there needs to be more colour to the fuselage behind the cabin windows and there is a recessed line going around the area depicting the colour demarcation between the white and whatever the other colour ought to be. Not sure if is supposed to be red or gold going by the fin flash.

Mean while one of the the Aztec is done and here is just one pic the rest in RFI.

3I0sPh.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Final pics of the Cherokee. Now done and main pics over in RFI.

iBHqu1.jpg

Refer to the image above for the custom made decals from the old Aurora sets I used for these renovations.
ZLn73V.jpg

Here it sits alongside two Aztecs, one a schemme is yet to be fond, and peeking in on the right is a very recent build on the go, the KP kit of the  PA-25 Pawnee. Found this to be a reasonable kit but the decals are terribly thin and disintegrate in water! Not too bothered but I will need new decals made to represent the one used by the Southdowns Gliding Club and the tug that got me airborne last Thursday.  

Incidentally, now I have got a few more models completed and cleared from the bench I can go back and do some more real time gliding at the weekend.
9JY9Z0.jpg

The walkway on the Pa28 wing is decal too!