Airfix 1/72 Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat *Completed*

9 hours ago, Ravnos said:

The First time I used micro sol and set instead of just using warm water it was like an actual magic trick, amazing stuff!

It's like a quantum leap forward, isn't it? I think the first time I tried it was over 25 years ago, just before my modelling hiatus, to put some lozenge fabric decals on an Eduard Fokker D.VIII. I was astonished how effective it was!

I can't get on with Humbrol DecalFix, though - I had all sorts of problems although I know lots of people have no trouble with it at all.

9 hours ago, Ravnos said:

I too have several of the furry supervisors that insist on inspecting all my work. Tell me, how do you deal with the fur?!

I'm not sure I do manage to deal with it :D but frequent sweeping/vacuuming helps, and I do a thorough clean of the bench and subjects if I'm painting, of course. But there's always at least one strand of fur that gets through the net.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

But there's always at least one strand of fur that gets through the net.....

😆I'm glad I'm not alone then, I spent about an hour sweeping up the bench and surrounding area last night before painting only to have to pull a single strand of fur out of a nice fresh coat of primer.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

😆I'm glad I'm not alone then, I spent about an hour sweeping up the bench and surrounding area last night before painting only to have to pull a single strand of fur out of a nice fresh coat of primer.

You're definitely not alone there :D Daisy isn't too bad, but Arthur is incredibly fluffy. Plus he's a "dibber" so I suspect it may not be long he's banned from my den :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

How exactly do you plan on enforcing this ban? Asking for a friend. 

Craig. 

That's the gaping flaw in the plan, of course..... But when I've worked out how, I'll let you know, although I don't hold out much hope for that to be soon :D although if its successful, I might patent the idea and market it, and then I'll be able retire to the Caribbean :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

if its successful, I might patent the idea and market it, and then I'll be able retire to the Caribbean :rofl2:

If you can crack that, you’ll be able to buy your own island in the Caribbean. Cuba looks nice. 

Craig. 

• Haha 1

On 04/08/2021 at 09:08, 2996 Victor said:

I can't get on with Humbrol DecalFix,

I've never used it either. Microsol and set for me with UMP extra Strong for those really difficult ones but my laddie uses it all the time to put his decals on his wrestling figures and swears by it.

On 04/08/2021 at 09:46, 2996 Victor said:

Plus he's a "dibber" so I suspect it may not be long he's banned from my den :)

Now this one might be tricky but you do realise that Arthur sets the rules and you have no choice but to obey or else. 😱

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've never used it either. Microsol and set for me with UMP extra Strong for those really difficult ones but my laddie uses it all the time to put his decals on his wrestling figures and swears by it.

I bought a bottle about eighteen months ago as I was having issues getting some model railway wagon decals to settle over the ironwork:

http://IMG-2000.jpg

Look at the supposedly painted-on lettering bridging the grooves between the planks, also the top of the "C" and bottom of the "Y" where they go over bolt heads. I tried using MicroSol/Set but was only partly successful, and was advised by the decal manufacturer to try DecalFix as that was what he'd used on the test shots. I tried it but the results were less successful and left a sticky residue on the wagon bodies. So I went back to Micro and persisted til I got a reasonable finish. The bottle languishes, unloved.....

13 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Now this one might be tricky but you do realise that Arthur sets the rules and you have no choice but to obey or else. 😱

Daisy and Arthur between them: definitely! This was last evening while I spent half an hour fettling Airfix Hurricane wings:

http://IMG-20210805-192845276.jpg

🖖Live long and prosper, Arthur!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

Just now, Dandie Dinmont said:

This is clearly worthy of study. It’s the last thing I want to do but I will have to buy a Vulcan as well to see if my pair use it as a seat. Science demands it!

Craig. 

We also need someone to act as a buffer, perhaps with a Victor or Valiant?

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

We also need someone to act as a buffer, perhaps with a Victor or Valiant?

Good point! We all need to buy a variety of kits from various manufacturers and leave them lying around undisturbed for many years to see what happens. 

Hold on, that's what we've been doing anyway. We clearly need to buy more. It's in the interests of Science!

Craig.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

We clearly need to buy more. It's in the interests of Science!

Sounds like a good plan! Now, how to get the household authorities on board.....

Cheers,

Mark :D 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Sounds like a good plan! Now, how to get the household authorities on board.....

Cheers,

Mark :D 

That could be the hard bit.

A joint thesis may help of course.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

A joint thesis may help of course.

Great idea! Perhaps we should promote this with the wider membership, so that we can all benefit from these studies! :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great idea! Perhaps we should promote this with the wider membership, so that we can all benefit from these studies! :D 

Cheers,

Mark

Definitely,

A large focus group involving all member willing to take part and we bring Family and Friends in too as a control group.

It may take many years to complete and compile all the data but I think the final work will probably be worthy of a Nobel Nomination.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Definitely,

A large focus group involving all member willing to take part and we bring Family and Friends in too as a control group.

It may take many years to complete and compile all the data but I think the final work will probably be worthy of a Nobel Nomination.

Cheers,

Alistair

We just need a volunteer to co-ordinate it :) I'd offer, obviously, but unfortunately I'm a bit busy right now re-pointing the patio slabs and grouting the kitchen sink splash-back tiles..... ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

(dodged that bullet:phew:)

• Haha 2

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

We just need a volunteer to co-ordinate it :) I'd offer, obviously, but unfortunately I'm a bit busy right now re-pointing the patio slabs and grouting the kitchen sink splash-back tiles..... ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

(dodged that bullet:phew:)

I agree we certainly do need a volunteer.

I can't manage at the moment due to workload, keeping a trainee's feet on the ground and bone idleness.

Step forward Craig you have been nominated and seconded.

Cheers,

Alistair the indolent.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've just been reading Paul Lucas' Colour Conundrum article in the latest SAM, and I have to say I feel another Wildcat coming on..... this time a USS Wasp F4F-4 in Dark Blue, paired with a Operation Calendar Spitfire Vc in Dark Mediterranean Blue. I realise there's still some doubt/controversy/call it what you will about these schemes, but I think it'll make an interesting diorama perhaps set on a section of Wasp's flightdeck.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Step forward Craig you have been nominated and seconded.

Alistair, Mark,

Thank you for the trust and belief you have shown in conferring this great honour on me. I assume it comes with a generous stipend to finance the major stash expansion I will be required to undertake to set a good example (first step, build an extra room on the house)?

Craig.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Alistair, Mark,

Thank you for the trust and belief you have shown in conferring this great honour on me. I assume it comes with a generous stipend to finance the major stash expansion I will be required to undertake to set a good example (first step, build an extra room on the house)?

Craig.

That goes without saying, Craig: wouldn't you agree, Alistair? I expect the National Lottery would be willing, nay desperate, to fund research of such national importance! :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Alistair, Mark,

Craig.

Indeed it does I have fought long and hard to negotiate a fair and commensurate amount.

Drum Roll please.

You will be awarded 1/2 a mouldy Digestive biscuit per annum and I had to fight hard to get that up from the custard cream crumbs that were offered at first.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2