Airfix 1/72 Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat *Completed*

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

a USS Wasp F4F-4 in Dark Blue

I've got another Airfix F4F-4, but.....I'm tempted to wait for Arma's release which is allegedly this month.....

Anyway, I must get this little feller completed first! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Indeed it does I have fought long and hard to negotiate a fair and commensurate amount.

Drum Roll please.

You will be awarded 1/2 a mouldy Digestive biscuit per annum and I had to fight hard to get that up from the custard cream crumbs that were offered at first.

Alistair,

Once again, I am overwhelmed by the efforts you have put in to better the lot of your fellow modellers, and the sheer generosity of those who are providing this munificent bounty. It is of great comfort to me and Mrs. D. to know that as retirement approaches, we will be supported in our dotage by this cornucopia. I would write more but the tears of gratitude streaming from my eyes are threatening to short-circuit my laptop. We are blessed.

Craig.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Anyway, I must get this little feller completed first! :D

Aye.

Enough of this nonsense. Stop It. Stop It It's just silly.

I really should be getting on with my Hurricane too.

9 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Alistair,

Once again, I am overwhelmed by the efforts you have put in to better the lot of your fellow modellers, and the sheer generosity of those who are providing this munificent bounty. It is of great comfort to me and Mrs. D. to know that as retirement approaches, we will be supported in our dotage by this cornucopia. I would write more but the tears of gratitude streaming from my eyes are threatening to short-circuit my laptop. We are blessed.

Craig.

Craig, 

Please don't feel too overwhelmed as you deserve the recognition due to one so industrious.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aye.

Enough of this nonsense. Stop It. Stop It It's just silly.

I really should be getting on with my Hurricane too.

Its getting a bit out of hand :D and I might actually post something (build-related!) on my Hurricane thread soon.....

Craig, 

Please don't feel too overwhelmed as you deserve the recognition due to one so industrious.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Over the weekend, in between the torrential downpours, I managed to get some primer on the little Airfix Wildcat using Tamiya rattle can acrylic US Neutral Gray. I was very surprised and pleased at how well the wing and tail-plane joints had turned out. Even my re-scribing efforts actually didn't look that bad!

There were still some fuselage seams needing a modicum of work, so they've had a light sanding, micromeshing and a second dusting of primer. The upper forward fuselage and spine seams are okay now, while the lower rear fuselage needs another going over. Once I'm happy with it all, I'll pop a couple of photos on here.

Thanks for looking in and as always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Hi Stix,

many thanks! Here are a couple of shots from just now, taken on my phone so the quality isn't great. If nothing else, they do show that I need to do a bit more re-scribing under the fuselage and around the wing roots :)

http://IMG-20210813-113237892.jpg

http://IMG-20210813-113301112.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

Thanks, Alistair, I'm actually quite pleased with how its looking with a whiff of primer on! One or two little things to attend to, and then the Blue-Gray over Light Gray camo colours, which I'm rather looking forward to :) I suppose I should sort out the glass-house first so I paint it at the same time.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I suppose I should sort out the glass-house first so I paint it at the same time.....

That's the sort of thing I forget to do and end up having to spray after I've cleaned the airbrush or more likely three days later. :doh:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That's the sort of thing I forget to do and end up having to spray after I've cleaned the airbrush or more likely three days later. :doh:

Cheers,

Alistair

I almost forgot the little windows in the underside but luckily I had some Maskol - 'orrible stuff but it has its uses!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

WOW,... you are really taking this kit to the next level and beyond,.... what a superb job so far,..... looking forward to seeing how you finish it!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tonyot said:

WOW,... you are really taking this kit to the next level and beyond,.... what a superb job so far,..... looking forward to seeing how you finish it!

Cheers

Tony

Many, many thanks, Tony, that's high praise indeed! We'll see how it turns out in the end: like all my efforts its taking far longer than I'd hoped, but I'm determined to get it over the line ahead of the end date!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Praise indeed but more than well deserved.

Cheers,

Alistair

That's incredibly kind of you, too, Alistair! Thank you!

The GB ends two weeks on Sunday, so a bit of the old Digitus Extractum is needed :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Aaarrrrggggghhhhhh! Only eight days left :( but I'm determined to get the Wildcat finished in time for the deadline!

Today I've accomplished some re-re-scribing, and a final coat of primer. There were one or two final blemishes to Mr Dissolved Putty, which were cleaned up. After that, I spent an enjoyable hour with the Tamiya tape masking the windscreen and canopy, as lastly, I painted the Wildcat's bottom (fnaar, snurf!).

Photos tomorrow, when hopefully upper camo may also materialise!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

No pressure then.

You'll get there.

Cheers,

Alistair

No pressure at all! After all, I've only had since May 15th..... :D

To be fair, there's not a huge amount left to do, but the odds and ends take up the time, don't they? But it's about time I actually finished something!!!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

but the odds and ends take up the time, don't they?

All those last little fiddly bits that you leave until the last minute and realise they still need cleaned up primed and painted. Yup they take a lot longer than you think. :doh:

You've got it all under control I would think.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 1:14 AM, 2996 Victor said:

which results in little tiny blobs on the surface where it hasn't wick'd into the joint.

This is a bit late since I've just seen this thread, but i've found that sometimes those blobs of CA can be lifted off the smooth surface with a very sharp blade.  If that fails, I use the sharp blade to trim the blob down to almost the surface and then sand it down the rest of the way.  Usually a 2 minute job.  Just be careful not to gouge the plastic -- ask me how I know.  I've finally trained myself to think where to apply glue by considering if where I'm applying it is really a place I want to get a knife into and then sand! :) 

That cockpit is beautiful... such amazing work for 1/72. I remember you had similar results on your P-40 and P-51 threads.... I'm quite envious!

Looks like I ducked in the door at the right time as you're just starting to paint....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, opus999 said:

This is a bit late since I've just seen this thread, but i've found that sometimes those blobs of CA can be lifted off the smooth surface with a very sharp blade.  If that fails, I use the sharp blade to trim the blob down to almost the surface and then sand it down the rest of the way.  Usually a 2 minute job.  Just be careful not to gouge the plastic -- ask me how I know. 

That's a brilliant technique! One I'll definitely be trying, as I'm always using more glue than I need to :) Which is why I had such bad sink marks on the Zero through using too much MEK.

As for gouging, at times I'm so unbelievably cack-handed and I can scratch/gouge at fifty paces!

13 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I've finally trained myself to think where to apply glue by considering if where I'm applying it is really a place I want to get a knife into and then sand! :) 

Something else I need to master: I think I'm getting there - I fitted the ailerons this afternoon as well, with a couple of well-aimed if not well-delivered spots of thin CA!

17 minutes ago, opus999 said:

That cockpit is beautiful... such amazing work for 1/72. I remember you had similar results on your P-40 and P-51 threads.... I'm quite envious!

Thank you, Opus: that's very great praise indeed! It's quite enjoyable picking out the various bits - if the cockpit were more detailed it could look really something! I'm looking forward to the new Arma Hobby F4F which is due soon.

The P-40 and P-51 are still stuck in limbo, by the way, but I'm intending to get them finished in the not too distant future. The trouble is all those other interesting projects that are beckoning :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2