A friend of mine gave me an old Williams B-10. Azur just came out with the version I wanted to build, but this one is free. I have a current interest in the early air war in the Pacific. The Dutch had over 130 B-10’s of various versions and used them in combat with the Japanese. I will build it in Dutch camo. I have been working on this for awhile and it will take a few post to catch up to where I am now.

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Davis
grammer
  • Like 7

Besides flash ,there's a lot of  sink marks, and ejector pin marks. It is taking a lot of sanding and filling to get it to this point. I hope I can turn it into something presentable.

spacer.png

• Like 8

I don't get very elaborate with the interior of my model. In 1/72 scale you can't see much inside.  I added a gun mount for the front turret and the gunners folding seat. The 30 cal gun is by Mini World and is a little jewel .

spacer.png

• Like 1

Nice work Bill - I'll be following this one with interest. I actually have the Azur-Frrom export version, but will be converting it to the US version as I could not get that one locally in Australia at the time.

• Like 1

Call that flash? Pah :)

Someone elsewhere on Britmodeller is building the Maquette re-issue of the old FROG Handley Page Herald and you can hardly see the actual model on the sprues because of all the flash.

Having said that, I have always liked the B10 as it was a pioneering design in bomber development. I have the Williams kit so will be keeping an eye on this build.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Grant Barr said:

Nice work Bill - I'll be following this one with interest. I actually have the Azur-Frrom export version, but will be converting it to the US version as I could not get that one locally in Australia at the time.

Grant, we are doing the same thing, to opposite ends. I am converting the older B-10 into the later WH-139 model. If Azur had cast the cowling separate, like most other models are, it wouldn't be a problem. Their kit has most of the engine as part of the upper and lower wings, and only the very front of the cowling as a separate piece.  If the cowling was one piece, we could just swap parts and everybody would be happy!

• Haha 1

As I stated to Grant, I am converting the older Williams B-10 into the later WH-2. model 139. The main difference is the engine cowlings as these photos show.

The Early B-10 with no cowl flaps.

y4mY68MxBDHGXA-Kttk01savneEPmP6wKugIo0F6

Edited by Bill Davis
correction

The first problem is to fill up the gap behind the original cowling. I did this, by cutting the rear section of the early cowling off and attaching to the wing.

y4myvILPQ7wpiiCeKFFx4MF7aRWFVlWgkKpy6VcH

• Like 1

How is this for modeler’s logic? “My friend gave me this Williams B-10, so, since I didn’t have to pay for it, I can buy the Azur kit!” Convoluted logic I know. I could have abandoned the Williams kit, but I had a lot of work into it. I used the Azur kit to make resin copies of the cowlings. Because of the kits construction, this was a little more difficult than models with one piece cowls.  

y4mnfeD_h_FkOTZeY85J3o46EMGJ9jFv3M2tH3vo 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I'm happy to see you take this one on, Bill-- nice work with those cowlings.  To this observer, the overall B-10 shape appears much more "Wartime Modern" and less "Art Deco" when fitted with cowl flaps. 

Williams Brothers was a quirky outfit.  They put out kits of topics no other manufacturer would touch, their line of products was extensive for a small company, and they lived out on the edge of obscurity for quite a while, considering (I remember seeing new Williams Brothers kits on shelves in at least three of my four or five decades of hobby shop rummaging).  Their B-10 was a well-thought out and elegantly packaged kit for its time, but most accounts note it requires the proverbial "modelling skills" with regard to assembly.  I rescued one from an estate sale, it should remain virginal until I find more information regarding USAAC Martin bombers in service around the Pearl Harbor timeframe.

• Like 1

I agree with you about the cowls. It just looks better with the later model engines. As far as I know, the Dutch were the only airforce to use the B-10 in wartime, in any significant numbers.  That's why I wanted to do the Dutch version. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

A lot of work, wonder what the Azure kit is like.

The Azur kit is nice. After I started building this kit, I got one. I made resin copy's of the cowling's to use on this model. 

• Like 1