1/350 Tamiya HMS King George V

So I figured that it was time to take up a slower, more long term project rather than stressing out with GB efforts that just burn me out. And thanks to some room reorganisation I had a large shelf going spare.

Naturally I decided that the best course of action was to throw a battleship at it.

spacer.png

Admittedly so far all I've done is assemble the stand and confirm it all fits in place. 

spacer.png

I suppose my next decision is how much aftermarket detailing to use. I'm pretty sure I want to replace the barrels on the 14" and 5.25" guns with the Master metal ones. Just need to figure out if I want to add the Eduard photoetch and Mk1 Design wood deck onto the model too.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

We've had our first Whoops moment of the build, when I forgot to wait for the plastic cement to fully dry before trying to clean up an overspill around the propeller shaft supports.

spacer.png

Should just be able to fill in the scarring and buff out the sanding scratches. Also need to fully remove the flash from them, but that can wait until the glue hardens.

Edited by PinkThorn242

25 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Are you interested in some colour pointers before the event? There are some bum-steers in the instructions in this regard.

I'd already been looking through your colour guides while I was waiting for the kit to arrive. ^.^;

But either way help avoiding the obvious howlers would be nice, yes.

Will need to replace my cheapo airbrush with something that can actually use enamels though.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

Cool. I was going to offer up first that the propeller shafts were painted with anti-fouling paint same as the hull. I think the instructions would have you paint them bronze like the propellers themselves if memory serves.

Also despite recent findings on anti-fouling colours, it is believed KGV actually was red.

1 minute ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

That shelf turned out to be the perfect size, didn't it? I'll be following this with interest.

David

It's almost like I got the tape measure out and decided to figure out what would go in that slot. >.>

OK, so finished sanding off the flash from the keel down to 1200 grit, along with the scratches from my attempts to clean up the glue overspill. Hopefully the primer coat will fill in the rest.

spacer.png

This is probably all I'm going to do for now until I settle on if I'm using the photoetch detail packs or not.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

I’ve been eyeing this kit, in my local model shop for weeks.
So, slippers on, chair drawn up and wine poured. :popcorn:
I’m ready when you are.

Jon

Right, first set of photoetch is on order then.

Also put the aft superstructure together, although the top is just dry-fitted right now since need to get in and sand the ladders and hatches off for replacement.

spacer.png

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Dry fitting the forward superstructure and bridge as well as the aft superstructure to the deck. Would've done a full in-situ dry fit, but the hull is warped (albeit not so bad that glue and patience won't fix the problem) so the deck panels just pop right back out.

Works for long shots like this but not for anything up close.

spacer.png

And then I came to the dangerous realisation that if I found a new home for those lego cars and finished reorganising my bookshelves I could probably put another ship in there. Oh god.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

And then I came to the dangerous realisation that if I found a new home for those lego cars and finished reorganising my bookshelves I could probably put another ship in there. Oh god.

Definitely know that feeling.:evil_laugh:

Jon

27 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Either that or actually having space for all the planes I still need to or might want to build. 🤔

All my planes have been confined to two boxes, all my armour is in a drawer. My ships are on the shelves, ships do at least, owing to their shape, take up less space.

Jon

Nice to see another KGV I completed mine last year after nearly 5 years on and off perhaps the next one on the shelf could be a star ship Yamato going from the books you have.

beefy

50 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Nice to see another KGV I completed mine last year after nearly 5 years on and off perhaps the next one on the shelf could be a star ship Yamato going from the books you have.

beefy

I do have plans to build the Revell USS Voyager to go somewhere else in the room, at least. Didn't know if there was any kits tied into Uchuu Senkan Yamato. Unless I just need to bury myself in HLJ's model section again looking for something other than Gunpla.

Edited by PinkThorn242

Boats are addictive, I've 14 I think now of which...um......1 is finished lol, I'm sure you'll find one for the bottom shelf 😉

Which etch have you ordered

Edited by S-boat 55

15 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Boats are addictive, I've 14 I think now of which...um......1 is finished lol, I'm sure you'll find one for the bottom shelf 😉

Which etch have you ordered

At the moment, just the base Eduard pack. Need to go back and get the railings and lifeboat ones later.

• Like 1