1/144 Bandai Star Wars Millennium Falcon Hanger Bay 3-27 Diorama

Hi all, I am calling this done, not quite got it across the line for the May 4th Star Wars day, mainly due to shipping delays getting the last of my 1/144 Stormtroopers from Shapeways.

I have 76 Stormtroopers in total in this hanger bay, 40 of them together with Darth Vader came last Saturday morning, thanks to Keith at Cozmic Scale models. The other 36 had a different pose and Shapeways had those. Anyway I got them on Tuesday afternoon. Darth Vader seems to have almost disappeared amongst the black flooring and lighting, but I have tried to show him best I can.

I have continued the tradition of ILM by placing characters from other movies that they had worked on into the build. In the mother ship from Close Encounters they added an R2D2 on the edge of the ship just for fun.

So, can you spot the Star Wars character from a later movie? I have placed it in the unlit photos to make it easier.

I intend to display both this hanger bay and my recently completed Imperial Shuttle Bay together in a bookcase unit. Thanks for all the great comments and may the Force be with you always!

oxtiwvB.jpg
YR0DXjx.jpg
V28UkYq.jpg
yUyL5cK.jpg
XwEVgcg.jpg
bZP9Pf1.jpg
cDZPBPT.jpg
xo7KIfE.jpg
2cKwRmY.jpg
V30mbTC.jpg
bXss188.jpg
govLu9w.jpg
nCiwRAG.jpg
xX9JnO4.jpg
UGI7S0G.jpg
SyTL2bz.jpg
t9c2ciK.jpg
bSwvhzf.jpg
xgtc8C2.jpg
StcVo5k.jpg
TTLy72T.jpg
ohXz4Ou.jpg
auFZyXw.jpg
gkY0MJ1.jpg
FLAoQJy.jpg
hj9UsKH.jpg
Sni7vVi.jpg
l4MQd3m.jpg
kA6qvvD.jpg
dE4nvrm.jpg
uWrBLmB.jpg
WI3IwDN.jpg
ElglLHh.jpg

Mystery Character Update

Hi all, first of all thank you so much for all the wonderful comments on this build, it's very much appreciated. Just goes to show what you can do with a few old kits and a bit of imagination.

Congrats to those of you that found BB8, yes it was staring at you in the face all the time! BB8 was in the Bandai Force Awakens Millennium Falcon kit and it sparked my memory for what ILM had done with the Close Encounters mothership.

Let's see if I can hide another character in the next build.

Bye for now, and may the Force be with you!

jLDSlnc.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Fabulous stuff. Really impressive result.

I've been playing spot the greeblies....

Spitfire spinner

Jeep grillle

Jaguar rear axle cage

Is that a zip tie up the wall?

Razor safety covers

Truck wheel trim

Sprue on the ceiling

And, is that a Huey cabin door on the wall? 

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous stuff. Really impressive result.

I've been playing spot the greeblies....

Spitfire spinner

Jeep grillle

Jaguar rear axle cage

Is that a zip tie up the wall?

Razor safety covers

Truck wheel trim

Sprue on the ceiling

And, is that a Huey cabin door on the wall? 

Close-but no Cigar !

Tamiya 1/48 spinners and other bits, Italeri 1/35 Hummer bonnet and axles,zip ties,razor covers,sprue, lot's of Hasegawa Apache heli bits.

But your here to find the famous character !!

• Sad 1

Absolutely stunning! I have so many questions - is the TIE Bomber and Lambda shuttle in the same scale, if so, where did you get them from? Also, do you have links for the Stormtrooper figures?

Just having a good look for the mystery character ...

10 minutes ago, Tak5haka said:

Absolutely stunning! I have so many questions - is the TIE Bomber and Lambda shuttle in the same scale, if so, where did you get them from? Also, do you have links for the Stormtrooper figures?

Just having a good look for the mystery character ...

Pete has found it, he private messaged me. Shapeways sell many of the items I used. Keith Tomlinson at Cozmic Scale models.com has a 3d resin printing service.

He is very helpful, the Tie bomber and Shuttle are in the same scale.

Sadly the Anigrand resin Imperial shuttle kit is long out of production now.

Tie bomber is from Shapeways,just click on market place and search 1/144 and you will find lots of cool stuff.

Not a cheap option, but needs must sometimes.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

Close-but no Cigar !

Tamiya 1/48 spinners and other bits, Italeri 1/35 Hummer bonnet and axles,zip ties,razor covers,sprue, lot's of Hasegawa Apache heli bits.

But your here to find the famous character !!

I forgot to say that the heli panels are from a 1/35 Dragon Huey 212 kit, so you know you're Huey's !👍

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Superb - whats the extra character?  - I spotted a Humvee bonnet I think!

Brilliant work excellently presented!

ATB

TT

Cheers TC ! As I mentioned ILM, built models for all the big movies ,and their kit bash guys used to add small figures and props from other films they had worked on.

So I have added a character from one of the later movies in to the diorama, anyone into Stars Wars movies should spot it fairly easily.

And yes the Hummer bonnet is in the top right corner ,well done sir ! The axles are in both bottom corners ,but only the right hand one is visible due to adding more structures later in the build.

I have no more spare kits to bash now !👍

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Lee Chambers said:

I have no more spare kits to bash now !

Obviously not trying hard enough then! I've got boxes full of bits and pieces.

With a Star Wars build in progress and another taking up large portions of storage in my head!

• Haha 1

Mystery Character Update

Hi all, first of all thank you so much for all the wonderful comments on this build, it's very much appreciated. Just goes to show what you can do with a few old kits and a bit of imagination.

Congrats to those of you that found BB8, yes it was staring at you in the face all the time! BB8 was in the Bandai Force Awakens Millennium Falcon kit and it sparked my memory for what ILM had done with the Close Encounters mothership.

Let's see if I can hide another character in the next build.

Bye for now, and may the Force be with you!

jLDSlnc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...