Zoukei Mura 1:48 McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom II - 182 TFS Texas ANG

I didn't realize Olds' F-4 served with our Air National Guard unit. Thanks for the information. Your model is superb!

• Like 2

What the others have said- ditto on how well you did the metal tones on the keel and the stabilizers! She was pretty darned impressive when I saw her on display at the AFM- she had just come out of the paint/restoration shed! Beautiful Rhino model and wonderful tribute  to THE consummate fighter pilot and commander! I also remember seeing her at Kelly AB  airshows and Armed Forces Day displays back when she was an ANG bird! Well done!

Mike

You could do her as she looked in SEA and would have 'bookends' of  a famous F-4 at the beginning and end of her career.

@Greg B Not meant to hijack your thread and outstanding build, but thought you and other Phantom Phans might like this linked article. Phantoms Phorever!

Mike

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/pharewell-phantom.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link, added text
  • Like 1

Nicely done Greg. Ditto what’s been said already as regards the metal finishes. For me attempting those burnt metal shading  and tones is up there in the scary top two with rigging

• Like 1

Very nice work, I'm sitting on ZM Phantom in my stash I need to get to.

Have not build a Phantom since a venerable Hasegawa probably 20 years ago

• Like 2

Super nice finish there Greg.  I see you opted to replace the Eduard ejection handles - good call.  I do think the Quinta example looks better.  I am curious; are they colored on the bottom as well?  Are they rounded as well or do they have a flat bottom?  Thanks for helping me visualize these new fangled things.  Brilliant model - congratulations! - Jack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wadeocu said:

Super nice finish there Greg.  I see you opted to replace the Eduard ejection handles - good call.  I do think the Quinta example looks better.  I am curious; are they colored on the bottom as well?  Are they rounded as well or do they have a flat bottom?  Thanks for helping me visualize these new fangled things.  Brilliant model - congratulations! - Jack

Thanks Jack, yep the Quinta handles are coloured on the bottom, just a slightly flat bottom as well. Far better than etched brass and I tried twisted wire etc as well. Far better than I can paint by hand anyway!

Magnificent!

Any advice for someone looking to build one of their Phantoms? Anything you figured out the hard way out wish you'd known beforehand? 

I've got their F-4EJ Kai kit on my desk waiting for me to finish my current project. You're stunning build has me itching to go

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gidge said:

Magnificent!

Any advice for someone looking to build one of their Phantoms? Anything you figured out the hard way out wish you'd known beforehand? 

I've got their F-4EJ Kai kit on my desk waiting for me to finish my current project. You're stunning build has me itching to go

No advice really, a pretty easy build. The only sticky points are removing a small protrusion on the rear left cockpit panel that was getting in the way and the spine insert, and that just takes a bit of extra attention to make sure its all aligned. Everything else is as per the instructions.

• Like 1