453rd BG Museum Build - A pair of Liberators

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Check out my view of the Tay and the Rail Bridge *aloof* :D 

Oh beautiful Bridge over the silvery Tay.

To someone who worked Leuchars box for six years and spent a lot of time in Tay Bridge South Box that view from the other side brings back a lot of memories.

Paintwork looks excellent. Looking forward to it all coming together.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, giemme said:

I love the effect you achieved, Stew - very promising for the end result

Thanks very much Giorgio :) 

20 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Absolutely splendid view from the spray booth, my guy.  Some hound could puzzle out your location from it; it's prime real estate for anyone who needs to airbrush whilst trainspotting.

Thanks Jackson :) There's actually an abundance of such views along the Perth Road in Dundee, most of the buildings are still the four-storey Sandstone tenements built to house workers when - for some at least - fortunes were being made in the Jute mills. I get an equally impressive view from my kitchen sink, which makes doing the washing-up less of a chore than it might otherwise be :D 

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Oh beautiful Bridge over the silvery Tay.

To someone who worked Leuchars box for six years and spent a lot of time in Tay Bridge South Box that view from the other side brings back a lot of memories.

Paintwork looks excellent. Looking forward to it all coming together.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair; the Tay Bridge doesn't have the imposing prescence of the Forth Rail Bridge (no other bridge in the world does, in my opinion) but I have grown to love it :D 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful paint work Stew, looking forward to the next coat of Neutral Grey.

Thanks very much Cookie :), your short wait is over... 

The second coat was applied, about 4:1 thinner to paint - that's approximate, as I just dumped a load of thinner into the jar holding the remainder of the first layer's paint:

DSCN2478.jpg

... and a final overspray of what in reality was just tinted thinner, before removing the wheelbay masking and the wing-root tape:

DSCN2482.jpg

... and that's how I wanted it - present at the periphery of vision, but not obvious. The best thing about black-basing, for me, is that it isn't a precise science, you just keep going until you feel you have done enough; if you do your second and (if you feel it necessary) third coats with well-thinned paint, you can incrementally add to the effect until you get just where you wanted it to be. I did the fuselages and tailplanes as well, but due to the number of panels on the wing the effect is more noticeable there (though I don't think my camera really captured the subtleties); next is to repeat that on the uppersurfaces with the Olive Drab 41. :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 25

Your representation of Neutral Gray looks perhaps a bit light compared to a proper colour chip, but for the shaded underside of a 1/72 model I grunt my admiration.  

The black basing technique feels as though one is drawing selected details out with the overpainting layers, which is really quite an enjoyable process given a good airbrush and a well-behaved paint mix.

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

fortunes were being made in the Jute mills.

They were milling them?!?!?  😬  Poor Jutes!  Did the process utilise hammers, or grindstones, or???  And to what end?  Fertiliser?  Bone meal for giants' bread?  One hopes the poor things were already unconscious before the... milling.  They must've swept it all under the rug to protect Big Jute, as this is the first I've heard of this outrage.  If there was any profit in it some unscrupulous sharp would be milling Angles and Saxons as well.

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
my engineering knowledge is limited to food mills
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

.. and that's how I wanted it - present at the periphery of vision, but not obvious.

I love that, Stew! :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a really nice finish stew, and neutral grey is a hard one to work with. It’s a funny colour neither dark nor light, firmly in the middle, which kinda explains the name like you said.

Rob

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

the Tay Bridge doesn't have the imposing prescence of the Forth Rail Bridge (no other bridge in the world does, in my opinion)

That's very true, it's almost as impressive as your paintwork.

Although, at night the view from Wormit with the bridge snaking it's way over the Tay and the lights of Dundee reflecting off the water could be very beautiful.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Lovely finish Stew :)

Envious of the view from the spray booth too, although isn't the tumble dryer a bit hard on the models? All that tumbling :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Lovely paintwork. For the ball turret cover plates, would they not be showing a bit as a field/bolt-on modification? (for discussion only - I'm not suggesting you re-scribe them!!) 

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

the tumble dryer a bit hard on the models

It's that Colourcoats stuff - takes ages to dry :P

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

view from the spray booth

I was admiring the woodwork on the cupboard doors.  My house had a 1970s DIY man in it at some point (possibly during the 1970s??) so I still run across the odd bit of orange and chocolate paint over chipboard!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/21/2021 at 7:37 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Your representation of Neutral Gray looks perhaps a bit light compared to a proper colour chip, but for the shaded underside of a 1/72 model I grunt my admiration.  

The black basing technique feels as though one is drawing selected details out with the overpainting layers, which is really quite an enjoyable process given a good airbrush and a well-behaved paint mix.

They were milling them?!?!?  😬  Poor Jutes!  Did the process utilise hammers, or grindstones, or???  And to what end?  Fertiliser?  Bone meal for giants' bread?  One hopes the poor things were already unconscious before the... milling.  They must've swept it all under the rug to protect Big Jute, as this is the first I've heard of this outrage.  If there was any profit in it some unscrupulous sharp would be milling Angles and Saxons as well.

Thanks Jackson :) I'm confident of the colour match, less confident of my photography skills: I have a decent enough camera, a Nikon L330 but I really don't know how to use it to its best advantage and cannot get a decent picture without pretty strong lighting. Even then, sometimes not... there was a most beautiful sunrise on 21st June, the scattered clouds all purple, red and orange, so impressive I decided to take a photo of it... it did not impress :huh:

I agree regarding the black-basing, it's almost therapeutic after a while as it doesn't require the focus and steadiness you need for regular pre-shading.

Well, they were called Jute Mills, but I'm pretty sure they would use whatever Germanic Tribes were available at the time :D 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, giemme said:

I love that, Stew! :clap: 

Why thank you kind sir :D 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, rob85 said:

That’s a really nice finish stew, and neutral grey is a hard one to work with. It’s a funny colour neither dark nor light, firmly in the middle, which kinda explains the name like you said.

Rob

It's a pretty hard colour to use on its own without any contrasts, you can end up with just a big block of grey muting out any features (which in a sense was its original purpose but less useful to a modeller); however like most underside colours it does lend itself to black-basing really well :) 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:07 AM, AliGauld said:

That's very true, it's almost as impressive as your paintwork.

Although, at night the view from Wormit with the bridge snaking it's way over the Tay and the lights of Dundee reflecting off the water could be very beautiful.

Cheers,

Alistair

Haha thanks Alistair, and yes: Dundee looks even better from the south, especially in the sunshine, or at night :) 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, CedB said:

Lovely finish Stew :)

Envious of the view from the spray booth too, although isn't the tumble dryer a bit hard on the models? All that tumbling :D 

Thanks Ced, it's not the ideal place for the dryer, but the kitchen is rather long and thin and there was no available space there, plus it vents out of the same window as the spray booth :D 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:24 AM, AdrianMF said:

Lovely paintwork. For the ball turret cover plates, would they not be showing a bit as a field/bolt-on modification? (for discussion only - I'm not suggesting you re-scribe them!!) 

It's that Colourcoats stuff - takes ages to dry :P

I was admiring the woodwork on the cupboard doors.  My house had a 1970s DIY man in it at some point (possibly during the 1970s??) so I still run across the odd bit of orange and chocolate paint over chipboard!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) The same thought did occur to me about the ball-turret plates, but I couldn't find any photo evidence to confirm it one way or the other, so I went for the invisibility option so that people wouldn't think I'd just done it badly :D 

The cupboards are another of my favourite things about this flat; there are four of them, the largest big enough to keep my bike in - the two in the spare bedroom are dedicated stash storage areas :lol: 

On 6/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, franky boy said:

Just catching up with this one Stew, nice work. 

A fair few man hours involved!

Well done. 

James 

Thanks James, nice to hear from you :) The initial part of the process is quite time-consuming, but after that it's quite quick and easy, but I do try not to do any 'big' spraying work during the work week.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful result Stew.

Thanks Cookie :cheers: 

On 6/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, SaminCam said:

Right back at you Stew! The pre-shading looks spot on and can't wait to see what you do with the OD on top

Thanks Sam, yes I'm looking forward to getting the OD on too :) 

• Like 3

I sloshed a bit of dirty wash in the wheelbays - the one on the left is 'Before' and the one on the right 'After':

DSCN2493.jpg

I was happy enough with the wheelbays before, but the wash does bring out the detail a bit more. 

I also got the turrets masked, eventually:

DSCN2490.jpg

I'll give them a coat of Dull Dark Green today :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 20

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

but the wash does bring out the detail a bit more. 

Agreed, very effective :clap:  And KUDOS for the masking job on the turrets :worthy:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Ha, thanks Giorgio, but I can't take the credit, it was Eduard :D 

It still requires patience to lay them down :D 

Ciao

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few bits done over the weekend; the main landing gear was finished:

DSCN2496.jpg

The wing lights painted in, glazed and masked:

DSCN2502.jpg

... and the first scrappy coat of Olive Drab 41 applied:

DSCN2524.jpg

... followed by a more thinned, less scrappy coat:

DSCN2526.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the sort of 'worn' look that I ended up with:

DSCN2527.jpg

I haven't got the decals that Jim wants on these aircraft yet, but I'm fairly sure I'll need to apply some Medium Green 42 blotches round the edges of the tailplanes, rudders and wings, then paint in the black rubber de-icing boots on the wings and empennage, so that should be enough to keep me busy for a while :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 28

I'm quite pleased with the sort of 'worn' look that I ended up with:

And you should be, it looks spot on! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top notch paint work as ever, and as has been said above you make it look easy! 

I'm told I have decals on the way for my b-24, which could be a D or a J so I’m holding fire on building any of it until they arrive.

Rob

• Thanks 1