Help required painting metal parts.

midimodeller

Hi I am new to airbrushing models and I would like some help on how to paint small metal parts. 

For example.

I have a metal part that I would like to paint and I would like to know if my process if ok. 

1. First of all I was going to brush on something like Mr Metal Primer so that the paint had something to adhere to and will not come away. 

2. Then I was going to spray on some grey, or black primer on the part. (Not sure what primer I need here) 

3. Finally I was going to spray over the primer with my gloss top coat. 

Does this sound correct, or how would you do it? 

Thanks 

midimodeller 

• Like 2

That's exactly what I do! :thumbsup:

Brushed Mr Metal Primer, airbrush thinned Mr Surfacer as primer (which is my standard primer), airbrush the color.

Oh, and welcome aboard! :clap2:

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's exactly what I do! :thumbsup:

Brushed Mr Metal Primer, airbrush thinned Mr Surfacer as primer (which is my standard primer), airbrush the color.

Oh, and welcome aboard! :clap2:

Hi dnl32, 

Nice to meet you and thank you. I used to do small auto repairs some time ago and I am trying to get back into painting as a hobby with all the kit I have just purchased. 

The Mr Metal Primer looks easy enough but what about the Mr Surfacer. How do you use yours for the best result?

Thanks 

midimodeller 

• Thanks 1

If you have an airbrush go with a 50-50 mix Mr. Surfacer 1000-1200 to thinner (I use their own Leveling thinner) and adjust from there (you can even go as far as 70 thinner to 30 primer). The 500 one can be used too, but it will need a lot more thinning. Personally I use the 500 one for minor repairs (like small seam lines or ejector pins).

If you don't have an airbrush they make spray cans with Mr. Surfacer.

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

I airbrush Mr Surfacer using the same technique as other paints. Here's a post that goes over my process in some detail. I thin to consistency, not by ratio, but I guess I'm at @bmwh548's 70%.

I use Mr Color paints for the most part. They're a lacquer, so they dry very quickly and provide a relatively robust surface. They also demand good application with an airbrush. As Mr Color do not brush well, I use water-based acrylics for small details. My preferred brand here is The Army Painter Warpaints, but other choices like Vallejo are fine, too.

HTH

-- 

dnl

On 13/05/2021 at 08:51, bmwh548 said:

If you have an airbrush go with a 50-50 mix Mr. Surfacer 1000-1200 to thinner (I use their own Leveling thinner) and adjust from there (you can even go as far as 70 thinner to 30 primer). The 500 one can be used too, but it will need a lot more thinning. Personally I use the 500 one for minor repairs (like small seam lines or ejector pins).

If you don't have an airbrush they make spray cans with Mr. Surfacer.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi bmwh548 and thanks. 

Yes I do, I purchased an Iwata Eclipse CS. 

I was thinking of brushing on the Mr Metal and airbrushing the Mr Surfacer. 

I have been watching a couple of videos on YouTube and I might do like you say. 

I will use Mr Surfacer in 500 for medium to heavy damage items, thinned down with Levelling Thinner, and Mr Surfacer Finishing 1000-1200 thinned again.  

I'm more likely to thin by eye though and get it to a milky consistency just like I would do when mixing paints for decorating.

What I don't want to do though is  lose any texture of the brushed metal through the primer so I will have to thin it well. 

I will purchase some and give it a go. 

Thanks 

19 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I airbrush Mr Surfacer using the same technique as other paints. Here's a post that goes over my process in some detail. I thin to consistency, not by ratio, but I guess I'm at @bmwh548's 70%.

I use Mr Color paints for the most part. They're a lacquer, so they dry very quickly and provide a relatively robust surface. They also demand good application with an airbrush. As Mr Color do not brush well, I use water-based acrylics for small details. My preferred brand here is The Army Painter Warpaints, but other choices like Vallejo are fine, too.

HTH

-- 

dnl

Hi dnl, 

What you are saying is more or less exactly what I want to do. 

I have a semi decent understanding of preparation and painting in general and I will apply that knowledge to the process.  I've worked as an auto smart repair, decorator and painter in my time. 

My preferred method would be to thin by eye because the items are going to be small and I wouldn't be using a lot of paint on them. 

I think I am going to - 

Prep the metal items. 

Brush on the Mr Metal 

Thin and airbrush on the Mr Surfacer 

Apply a water based top coat. 

I was wondering whether to use a grey or black 1000-1200 Mr Surfacer. 

I have heard that the black surfacer is better for metallic colours.

Thanks 

midimodeller   

• Thanks 1

Gray, black, or white is a preference or application decision. All 3 can be used for subtle variations under metallic paint. My goto is gray with white or black undercoat via Mr Base White or Mr Color Black (C2).

Gloss black is recommended under high-shine finishes, like chrome. 

• Like 1