1/48 Airfix TSR-2

Me again, please accept an IOU for about 10 likes.

Nothing wrong with OOB builds, you can spend more time doing 'corrections' and refinements than putting the whole thing together. The only extra I have for mine is a set of resin seats., although I was surprised to see on Hannants  just how many extras and replacements are still available so people must still be building them despite the initial unfavourable reactions from most reviewers.

Keep up the good work.

John

PS: I worked at an ATC radar unit at the time when the supersonic test runs were being done over the Irish Sea between Ireland and Scotland. We were usually informed by Warton when they were active and I've never seen such large gaps in the radar returns between sweeps, and we used to regularly watch Lightnings playing over the North Sea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is shaping up really well. I have this in my stash and it’s good to see one going together without too many issues - I’m looking forward to seeing some paint going on!

Tom

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/08/2021 at 09:44, Biggles87 said:

Me again, please accept an IOU for about 10 likes.

No problem John. I'll probably get another like later, once you've seen my clamp in action again!😆

Nothing wrong with OOB builds, you can spend more time doing 'corrections' and refinements than putting the whole thing together.

I enjoy OOB - it usually gives a perfectly acceptable result without all the extra work.👍

PS: I worked at an ATC radar unit at the time when the supersonic test runs were being done over the Irish Sea between Ireland and Scotland. We were usually informed by Warton when they were active and I've never seen such large gaps in the radar returns between sweeps, and we used to regularly watch Lightnings playing over the North Sea.

I can imagine that would have looked impressive!

On 14/08/2021 at 09:46, tomprobert said:

This is shaping up really well. I have this in my stash and it’s good to see one going together without too many issues - I’m looking forward to seeing some paint going on!

Thanks Tom. I'm sure yours will look incredible!

I have noticed one minor issue which is worth sharing as it could easily catch somebody out. I'm building mine as XR220, which had fairings on the side of the intakes. These were designed to hold a camera used to monitor store separation and as such, had windows facing the wing. Airfix would have you glue these on back to front:

67.jpg

On the real aircraft these fairings are clearly facing the other way (photo copyright Steve Lynes):

sl.jpg

An easy fix - just switch the parts over and glue them onto the opposite side. Time for my big clamp again!

2.jpg

Plenty of bomb bay detail too, another reason I'm happy to keep this one OOB.

Once this area is masked painting can resume. I need to find some good references for the metal area above the wing near the flaps - Airfix shows this as plain white, which isn't very accurate!

• Like 12

On 12/08/2021 at 22:34, Maginot said:

Great progress, good looking build. Yes, come on Airfix; re tool and re release, please.

Lets face it, Airfix think this one's been done and won't re-tool. But is there any chance somebody else will produce a competing TSR-2? Pit Road did a 1/144 and I bought most of them - how were sales outside the UK?

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2021 at 23:18, TallBlondJohn said:

Lets face it, Airfix think this one's been done and won't re-tool.

On 12/08/2021 at 22:34, Maginot said:

come on Airfix; re tool and re release, please.

Will it happen? The picture below was taken from the Airfix FB page - it looks like new box artwork to me...🙂

tsr.jpg

I've ignored this build for a couple of weeks, but a little progress has been made recently. This was the top of the fuselage after sanding the fuselage joint - lots of obliterated detail:

pl1.jpg

And today, after reinstating the panel lines with my new scriber:

pl2.jpg

Work is also ongoing with the undercarriage. For the first time the chrome parts have been painted(?) using a pen:

wls.jpg

The main undercarriage legs are already glued into the fuselage, in case you were wondering! Nice crisp moldings with very adequate detail - should look good once assembled.

• Like 13

On 15/07/2021 at 18:03, PeterB said:

I thought it was probably a bit too early for "stealth technology" so I guessed in this case it was probably to reflect heat when flying high and fast as originally designed, but looking in Paul Lucas's book he says the gold film was intended to reflect radar, so it seems it was an early example of stealth after all!

Pete

Hi Pete and @Back in the Saddle,

sorry to chime in so late after the original statement, but in fact the metallic coating was as I understand it, is to act as a de-icing and anti-misting system, essentially a current is passed through the coating and heats up. 

The canopies were actually something my work were supposed to manufacture, and this is still a technology that is used on modern aircraft. I did actually search for the drawings of these but unfortunately, some diligent so and so had obeyed orders and destroyed them ☹️

Loving your work so far @Back in the Saddle, I myself have the 1/72 tsr2 that is on the long to do list!

Cheers

Ash

On 15/07/2021 at 18:03, PeterB said:
Edited by Doccur
  • Like 1

Hi Ash,

Yes, I eventually found several explanations for the gold film including the one you mention. Another was to reduce the glare from a nuclear explosion. It seems that the "stealth" part was more of a side effect!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I concur  with Doccur. (See what I did there?) When I did my Electrician Tornado course way back in 1979 (😱) we were told that the gold sheen was the canopy deicing system and had been lifted directly from TSR2.

• Like 2

Funnily enough @BillF67, we (the firm I work for) manufactured tornado windscreens and canopies too, so that would tally!

Ash

Edit - I would also add that @PeterB’s explanation of glare protection would also tally, as the Tornado canopies had a gold sheen rather than a tint if that makes sense ? 

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Wonderful build there pal. I stalled my build as I messed up on the wings (wrong spray primer) and damaged the surface. May just get all the bits glued and then then prime and finish her.

Thanks Lewis. I hope yours finds its way back onto the bench soon!

Thanks to everybody for all the comments about the technology used on this aircraft - it's always good to learn a bit more about about these things.👍

I've applied some primer above the intakes, as this area looked like it could use some attention:

pl3.jpg

Propellors are also removed from the area to avoid confusion...!

I'm gradually getting closer to painting this one. I will go for a plain white finish on top of the wings, as this is representative of XR222. For some reason, this airframe does not have the black and bare metal areas that I've seen in pictures of other TSR-2's... 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Great work. I've just started the same kit with the Eduard cockpit, nice to see another example of this great kit.

From what I've heard the gold tint was to protect the crew from the radar emissions. The E6 Prowler has the same coating for that reason. Brief search on Wikipedia states it was to protect the crew as well as reduce any interference from outside sources. 

1920px-EA-6B_Prowler_takes_off_from_Eiel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The model received a few light gloss white coats over the past few days. I then noticed four holes in the upper rear fuselage (the fifth hole is for the fin attachment!):

hol.jpg

The rear two holes appear to be for exhaust vent to be attached but the front two appear to be superfluous for this aircraft - the reference photos I've looked at show nothing in this area...  Consequently I've now filled the front hole, attached the vents to the rear holes and need to spray it again Sam!

The gloss coat also highlighted two blemishes I had not noticed before. There is a scratch at the front of the front fuselage (I think I must have knocked it when the paint was wet) and also a slight sink mark at the rear of this section:

ble.jpg

These have been filled and sanded, ready for a final coat of white.

The front is looking OK but I think the nose would benefit from some more shaping, to blend the nose cone in better. I will also fill the gaps at the side of the front canopy:

scr.jpg

Fingers crossed for dry weather!

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 05:19, ERK said:

Superb work  of an amazing   "If  - only"  plane  thankfully we have the Two  versions  in museums.

Thanks ERK. 👍 As you said, at least we have a couple of survivors.

On 06/11/2021 at 15:59, Biggles87 said:

Looking good.

Thanks John. It's not looking quite so good at the moment, due to a reaction in the paint. This was an entirely self-inflicted problem as I sprayed the rattle can too heavily... I'll learn one day!

tr1.jpg

The cracked/pitted areas were filled (my Mr. Surfacer 500 is getting a bit thick and gloopy - I need to buy a new bottle!):

tr3.jpg

Once fully dry I will sand it back, re-scribe as necessary and spray it again, more carefully next time!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2