1/48 Airfix TSR-2

Despite having multiple builds on the bench, most of them are now at the painting stage - time to crack open a new one!

After checking GB eligibility with @Brad, I am throwing my hat into the ring with the 1/48 Airfix TSR-2. I've heard it will need some fettling along the way, but I've had plenty of practice with that particular skill recently...😁

I bought it off eBay last month and it reeked of cigarette smoke, so the box was chucked away without delay. Here's a picture from the instruction sheet:

box.jpg

It's a big model - look at the length of the fuselage!

long.jpg

I'm hoping this will build into an impressive model to join my other 1/48 British jets. This one will be strictly OOB, to see what I can achieve solely with Airfix's kit. I will post some photos soon, once construction gets underway!

• Like 18

On 13/05/2021 at 07:14, Brad said:

Welcome along, I have heard that they require a good amount of bog.

I've had some practice recently!

The cockpit tub is now glued together, using the fuselage shell as a jig for the instrument panels - it seemed like the best way to align those!

align.jpg

I have also glued the seats, which are awaiting painting:

pit.jpg

I'm not going into much detail here, as the canopies will be both closed and tinted orange... I will do some basic work though!

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

I have moved on from the cockpit as I think it is now acceptable and am looking at some other sub-assemblies. Next on my list were the two intakes:

jin.jpg

These were sprayed with white primer. I then painted the back section black, to represent the void of the intake ducting - I think it should look quite convincing...🤞

I also started work on the top airbrake housings. The instructions show that pieces 21 and 24 should be glued into the top of the fuselage - unfortunately the hole is far bigger than the pieces:

ins.jpg

A quick search on BM revealed other modellers have previously encountered this problem and the solution was also provided - glue these pieces into the part that eventually sits on top of the rear fuselage:

int.jpg

This was a far better fit and as this section slides into place very nicely, it should be frame-free when I get to that stage.👍

Finally I have started cutting out the bits for the bomb bay:

bb.jpg

These were also sprayed with white primer and will be assembled next.

• Like 14

On 13/06/2021 at 01:48, Scargsy said:

Nice choice, such an odd looking plane I remember seeing one in the RAF museum - with those stubby wings, shame they didn't put it into production. Good luck with the build!

Thank you!

The bomb bay has been painted, so it was glued into the fuselage along with the cockpit and nose gear bay:

3.jpg

Then it was time to seal it up!

ass.jpg

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

Work on this one has stalled slightly, as I needed to get some transparent paint for the canopy. As you can see from this picture on Wikipedia, the side windows are tinted yellow:

wik.jpg

I had some glass paint which I thought I would try, but it kept pooling and looked awful. I decided to invest in some Tamiya acrylics instead:

gp.jpg

You can see the canopy still bears the remains of the glass paint, but I sanded it off and polished the canopy again. I then sprayed the yellow paint, let it dry and attached the canopies:

yel.jpg

I also glued the intakes into position at the same time, using clamps to hold them securely.

Less than a month to go in this GB - I'd better get a wriggle on!

• Like 14

Hi Matt,

I think the canopy is actually tinted gold but yellow will be close enough. I saw one of the surviving TSR 2's in what was then Cranfield College of Aeronautics in 1970 and ever since have wanted to build one - I might just get round to doing it in the "High Wing" GB as a plane in Squadron service - I don't usually do "Whifs" but I think it may be interesting.

I believe that the one I saw is now at Cosford, having been cosmetically restored and the various missing bits fabricated.

Cosford TSR2 & SR53-crop

Looks a lot better than it did when I took this pic 52 years ago on my old Zeiss manual camera in poor light.

TSR2 Cranfield

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Brad said:

So dumb question time; why the tint?

I thought it was probably a bit too early for "stealth technology" so I guessed in this case it was probably to reflect heat when flying high and fast as originally designed, but looking in Paul Lucas's book he says the gold film was intended to reflect radar, so it seems it was an early example of stealth after all!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting background on the gold canopies!

A bit more progress today. I had the Alclad out for my Vulcan build, so sprayed the exhausts on this model at the same time.

The sprue was very unusual - look how the exhausts are molded, overlapping with the airbrakes. I've never seen plastic so tightly arranged:

tw7.jpg

These were removed and sprayed with a darker metallic paint, then the exhaust shroud was sprayed silver:

jex.jpg

I am fettling the instrument panel coaming, as the fit is poor, then I will finish the canopy installation. Wings are next!

• Like 14

A few more jobs have been done. I have completed the coaming and canopies, glued the nose on (which needs some filling...!) and most importantly attached the wings. She's a big beast!

lng.jpg

The intake nearest the camera needs filling too, then it will be time to start spraying - in a deviation from the Airfix plan, the tail and exhaust will be attached once painted...

• Like 8

The next major section to attach was the belly panel - plenty of tape needed here!

tsb.jpg

Once removed the main structure is complete:

q.jpg

I still need to sand the nose cone joint and the intakes, plus amend the fuselage profile near the windscreen as it looks odd... Then it's painting time!

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Some interesting background on the gold canopies!

A bit more progress today. I had the Alclad out for my Vulcan build, so sprayed the exhausts on this model at the same time.

The sprue was very unusual - look how the exhausts are molded, overlapping with the airbrakes. I've never seen plastic so tightly arranged:

tw7.jpg

These were removed and sprayed with a darker metallic paint, then the exhaust shroud was sprayed silver:

jex.jpg

I am fettling the instrument panel coaming, as the fit is poor, then I will finish the canopy installation. Wings are next!

The exhausts are actually molded at 90° then folded to fit in the box

• Like 1

That's looking great I hope Airfix retool or re-release this kit. I didn't realise how huge it is! That would give a Mig-31 a run for its money size wise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

The exhausts are actually molded at 90° then folded to fit in the box

Very unusual!

1 hour ago, Deano353 said:

That's looking great I hope Airfix retool or re-release this kit. I didn't realise how huge it is! That would give a Mig-31 a run for its money size wise.

Thank Deano. It's certainly big - much larger than my 1/48 Lightning and Buccaneer!

19 hours ago, DonH said:

I am surprised at how good this kit looks. You are, no doubt, making it look better than I could. I am impressed with the detail of the moulding and the recessed panel lines etc.

Thank you. This kit has a bad reputation, but I’ve found it to be quite a reasonable build so far!

6 hours ago, blueYeti said:

Good job👍, you're a professional white plane painter🙂

Thank you!

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Wow - great work - was always told this was a pig of a kit but the detail looks really very nice indeed!

It is a far better kit than I had expected. A few minor issues, but a pretty good representation of the real aircraft.👍

• Like 2