Fujimi 1/72 Ki-36 Kisaragi

srkirad

I bought this kit on scale model competition in Mosonmagyarovar some 4-5 years ago, and the main reason for buying was its extremely low price - I gave only 2.5 EUR for it, so I presume this makes it more than eligible for this GB :D

All parts are still in their bag

ki36-001.jpg

Decals were yellowed from aging, so I decided last summer to put them on the window in order to sunbathing do its magic... and it did... more than I planned! :D

ki36-002.jpg

What happened at first scared me, but then I realized that it made me a favour - upper roundels were occasionally hidden by window blinds, while lower ones were more exposed to the sunlight, so they already started loosing red colour - perfect for usage as upper wing surface roundels that were faded in colour under conditions on Pacific! With addition of some weathering it should look OK in the end.

ki36-003.jpg

All in all, everything is ready for the start of the GB on my side.. waiting for the clock.... :)

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Now that is an interesting plane, though I am a bit surprised to see one in civil markings - my Putnams book says that it entered service in 1940 as a light Army Cooperation type with a couple of MG and light bombs. I seem to remember pics of this on the side of my Fujimi Val and that they did it in several versions, perhaps including the later Ki-55 trainer.

I will be interested to see what it looks like once built.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi S. Welcome to the LTAT GB. Great to have you here and with what looks to be a very interesting kit/aircraft. Looking forward to following your build.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cockpit and surrounding areas were painted in Gunze H54 as suggested by assembling manual.

Engine parts received Stainless Steel metalizer and protective gloss coat...

Propeller has been painted in Aluminium metalizer and gloss coated in the end.

ki36-004.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Assembling of cockpit parts, fuselage and wings took much less time than I expected - this one goes pretty quickly... 

I've added some sprue goo on joins to smooth them out.

ki36-005.jpg

ki36-006.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow unnoticeable, while working on other projects at the same time, assembling went pretty smoothly, and voila - here it is, ready for the primer!

I've glued rudder moved a bit to the left side, because fit wasn't really perfect, but also I've wanted to give that part of fuselage a bit of "motion", when rudder was given as separate part already :)

Tail wheel will probably also be glued a bit to the left, I'll decide on it in the end...

ki36-007.jpg

ki36-008.jpg

ki36-009.jpg

ki36-010.jpg

ki36-011.jpg

ki36-012.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Hi S. I'm really pleased to see the progress you have made with your build. It really is looking like this is going to be a real stunner! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @PlaStix 

Decals are positioned on their place, and oversprayed with protective layer of gloss varnish.

Decals are so old, and were exposed to sunlight for a long time, so they lost a bit their adhesive abillities - when I wetted them with Gunze Mr. Mark Softer they wriggled as they should, but also didn't stretch nicely on some places, so they look a bit weird there. Roundels are extremely brightened due to loooong exposure to sunlight as their film was very yellow - after Mr. Mark Softer I think remaining red colour a bit more dissolved so they look very "patchy" - a little bit of red, white and yellow underneath... actually very interesting effect that could simulate faded look...

Also, I had an little accident on tip of the left wing - during spraying of gloss coat, somehow a drop of gloss varnish spilled out from AB to wing and it is now like a blotch very thick in appearance.. I'll leave it 4-5 days to cure and then see what it looks like...

A bit annoying when some of these small errors occur on this very simple but nice kit 😠

ki36-018.jpg

ki36-019.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

For saying you had issues with the decals, I'd say they look pretty good!! :thumbsup: If you hadn't told us about the faded roundels I'd have assumed you'd started weathering them to look faded by sunlight! Great effect! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

And... done! :)

A little bit of wash (artistic oils), and weathering (MIG pigments) here and there ... windows on fuselage sides and bottom are made of Humbrol Clearfix.

ki36-020.jpg

ki36-021.jpg

ki36-022.jpg

ki36-023.jpg

ki36-024.jpg

ki36-025.jpg

ki36-026.jpg

ki36-027.jpg

ki36-028.jpg

ki36-029.jpg

ki36-030.jpg

ki36-031.jpg

ki36-032.jpg

ki36-033.jpg

ki36-034.jpg

ki36-035.jpg

ki36-036.jpg

ki36-037.jpg

ki36-038.jpg

ki36-039.jpg

ki36-040.jpg

ki36-041.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi S. What a fantastic result!! You have produced a real masterpiece there! Beautiful modelling all round! :worthy:

It looks superb in the Gallery. 

Thank you for building it in this GB. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1