Competition rowboat

I thought I'd already posted this here but apparently no. Well never too late I guess.

Story behind this started last autumn when I was heating up my sauna and rolled a log of birchwood in my hands and wondered what this could be turned into. I had done some cutlery when I was young so this wasn't exactly new thing but I wanted to try it out. 15 minutes later I found myself with axe in my hand trying to make the log little bit easier to work with. After axe I used a sanding machine to make it relatively close to final shape. After that I used some P400 grit sanding paper and sanded the final shape. Oars were made from splinters left after the axe so that it'd be homogenous with the main "hull". Hull was treated with mahogany colour oil and covered with about a dozen layers of varnish. Oars are just varnished over. Everything else on top is evergreen plastics, steel wires etc. scratch built.

This was the beginning before the axe.

y4ma2MaC7sFgeve99oWmQGdQghaEMHFbCUp-641g

Rough shaping before final sanding with hand.

y4mJic0z3NtDgw28YRKlsQIFKK-skvHhb7Pb8mqN

And the shape after about 30 minutes of sand machining.

y4mGkGxX4FBipMjnN1vwP58j6Qchznv9XMhsA0Mz

Final result. Took maybe 10 hours within 2 weeks. Most of the time was just waiting the varnish layers to dry.

y4mTtcWVBM4PUVrhRTgBixM5ZuX68M_fi99jnU_M

y4mje_Aqzec-ojwJiOca-r4dS6UOZKKrFbTltd0G

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Absolute ripper mate! 👍👍👍

Just my kind of thing. I find shaping bits of wood endlessly satisfying and much easier to do do than most people assume. You have just convinced me to buy a proper belt sander too! 👍

On 5/13/2021 at 2:11 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

You have just convinced me to buy a proper belt sander too!

And a sauna?

Gidday, I have to agree with the comments by those above. And also different - not a vessel that I've seen modelled before. The varnish seems to have given the model a very nice finish. Regards, Jeff.

P.S. - I found your slogan "Average modeler, professional idiot." very funny. 😁 Regards again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1