Just a Lidl bit of fun... a Spitfire & Me109 winding match

Hello Folks

When I found out that Lidl were going to open a store round the corner from me my first thought was; “ooh, fresh pretzels from the bakery!”, the second was “I wonder whether they will have those Airfix kits for a fiver” in the central aisles. Guess what. They did. Just before Christmas as well. Below are the results of a happy festive season of modelling. They have been hanging from my ceiling in a never-ending winding match since the New Year. I decided to take them down for a dust and took the opportunity to photograph them.

Obviously, it is a Spitfire and an Me109, both finished OOB with no aftermarket or concerns other than getting them finished in a prompt manner. Both were hand painted for the same reason. The Spitfire with Hataka Blueline paints, which were marvellous - like painting with melted Lindt chocolate! The Me109 with the Humbrol pots that came in the box, which were not marvellous. Only seeming to be able to exist in two states – lumpy custard or dishwater. However, they turned out alright in the end so I shouldn’t be too harsh on them.

I have a little smile every day when I see them, hope you think they are fun too.

51174552729_de6db2b85e_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

51173771001_94ec7527bf_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

51173083937_78f006543a_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

51173753086_1b1331b6b7_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

51174537394_b0a3e7511c_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

51174563569_4c4f47ff8b_c.jpgJust a Lidl bit of fun by Erik Welch, on Flickr

In their natural habitat!

51173768926_bc75ecb443_c.jpg2021-05-11_07-55-14 by Erik Welch, on Flickr

Cheers.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Very nice work with the hairy stick! You might like to look out for some of @CedB's work in this site. Practically his entire output is hanging from his ceiling. It'll give you something to aspire to!

Craig.

Thank you.

That's where I got the idea from. Unfortunately I've also picked up his weakness for being seduced into buying new tools and gizmos.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, noelh said:

They're excellent. I'd love to do something similar but I fear my lady wife might object to such an indulgence. 

It's my office. I decide what I can do.*

*With her permission of course. I'm not that brave.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, erniewise said:

Unfortunately I've also picked up his weakness for being seduced into buying new tools and gizmos.

I think that's an affliction that most here suffer from. Remember to share any particularly nifty devices with the rest of us!

Craig.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, alanbeeb said:

Very nice. How have you achieved the blurry propellers effect?  

I created propellor artwork with graduated shading in AutoCAD and printed mirrored images of it onto clear decal paper. Apply to the front and back of a sheet of clear plastic, slightly offset, cut out, and Bob's your uncle.

• Like 1

Lovely work on both and a creative way to display them! I've picked up a fair few of those kits from Lidl over the past few years that still require some attention :D

• Thanks 1

They look great

Reminds me of when I was a kid and had about 30 odd Matchbox WWII aircraft hanging from the ceiling all in appropriate dogfights!

Top stuff :) 

• Thanks 1