3 tone USN help please. WW2

Harrier/ViperFan

I am hopping this is the right place to put this.

I am going through my kits to find something to get me out of my modelling rut that i am in. I thought about doing some USN WW2 stuff in the 3 tone blues, Is it best to paint the lighter first then go up in shades? I know this is a very beginner question but this is the first time i have done USN WW2 and my instinct is to paint the top then the sides and hope it works.

It seems to me the reverse might be easier.  Moving from light to dark ought to use less paint.  That's certainly how I have done it since a bad experience with OD and Neutral Gray (on a Frog B-26?) many many years ago.

I wandered through various pictures of Corsairs, Avengers and various 'Cats and it looks like that was common practice on the real thing - but that's a long way from actually knowing what they did.  If you can't be sure in full scale . . .

Technically it's a 4 tone scheme, and has been discussed on BM quite a few times.

Jamie from Sovereign paints describes it very well in one of his posts::

And to confirm - always better to paint light to dark - easier to cover light paint with dark rather than the other way round!