1:48 Brewster Buffalo - all in a good cause

I've been spending a lot of time hanging out on Twitter of late and have connected with a fair few modellers on there.  One of them organised a charity build to raise money for a children's heart unit in Newcastle.  The rules were WW2, 1:48 and cost under £20.  That ruled me out initially cos I "don't do" 1:48.  That excuse didn't last long and before I knew it there was a Tamiya 1:48 Buffalo on the doorstep.

Got to say, it was a nice kit and very enjoyable to build.  Just what I needed as progress on my Shackleton had slowed due to incessant filling and sanding.  The cockpit mask was a first for me, although cutting it out from the sheet was a slow old process.  Also learnt a couple of new weathering techniques - sponge dipped in Aluminium and then dried off to simulate some chipping, and some AK Weathering pencils to get more grime and a little bit of a rust effect.  I need to improve at the rust, I think, its not quite what I was hoping for here, but not bad for a first attempt.  

I chose to do the RNZAF 448 sqn machine W8138 'NF-O' based at Singapore in 1941.

IMG_1405

IMG_1423

IMG_1407

IMG_1416

IMG_1409

Right then, best get back to the Shack.. 🙂

Thanks for looking!

Al.

• Like 29

A fine looking Buffalo and it looks great in these markings.:thumbsup:

Are this the decals from the kit ? In my copy the lettering looks very dark.

5 hours ago, BerndM said:

A fine looking Buffalo and it looks great in these markings.:thumbsup:

Are this the decals from the kit ? In my copy the lettering looks very dark.

Yes, these are the kit decals.  There were a couple of RAF options, a Dutch and USN machine.

AL.

• Like 1

Great work! The Buffalo is one of my favorite obscure aircraft. I am working on a Revell 1/72 scale version that will be in Dutch colors. 

• Like 1