1/48 Kinetic F/A-18C, VFA-81, Desert Storm

Hello,

Here's my just finished 1/48 Kinetic F/A-18C Hornet, done as a VFA-81 jet from the 1991 Gulf War. I was originally going to build this for the DS GB here on BM, but I never really took in progress pics of it. Oh well...

The kit is not the easiest to work with, especially around the nose and intakes, but I've learned from it, so a future build might be easier to put together. Other things used were a Walleye and data link pod from Astra Resin, a pilot figure from PJ Productions, and a laser spot tracker pod from the Hobbyboss Hornet kit. Painted with Mr Color mostly, and a VMS flat coat, which I really like.

zpxaDja.jpg

w6mNNMX.jpg

UIkktIr.jpg

XI5eGnZ.jpg

And the real one during ODS:

9vHFcSg.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.

Pete

• Like 57

That's some outstanding work you've done. You've captured the finish of the real airplane exceptionally well.

• Like 1

I was all ready to say "No way were Walleyes used in DS!!!"  Then  . . .  smack  . . . . there is a photo of a Walleye on a Hornet.  Amazing.  I thought for sure those things would have been retired by '91.   Just goes to show how little I know.  

As for your model?  Fantastic.  I wish I could have a Hornet 1/10 as good as yours.  Well done, expert weathering.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

I was all ready to say "No way were Walleyes used in DS!!!"  Then  . . .  smack  . . . . there is a photo of a Walleye on a Hornet.  Amazing.  I thought for sure those things would have been retired by '91.   Just goes to show how little I know.  

As for your model?  Fantastic.  I wish I could have a Hornet 1/10 as good as yours.  Well done, expert weathering.  

I reported to VA-35 (also in CVW-17) in 1991, right after Desert Storm. Our A-6Es and the FA-18Cs of both VFA-81 and VFA-83 were all capable of employing the AGM-62 Walleye II Extended Range Data Link (ERDL), which was still in service. In fact, the manuals said at the time that the Walleye II warhead was the most powerful non-nuclear weapon available to the Navy. Even though it was in the same weight class as a Mk-84 (2000 lbs), the Walleye II warhead’s design was more advanced.  

And that’s a great Sunliner Hornet! That’s exactly how they looked. 

Edited by Raygunsnap
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ad-4N said:

A-7’s dropped Walleye II as well. Guy in my Airwing was a former A-7 driver (flying Hornets when I knew him) and was kinda famous for dropping his WEII and smacking his target, while his wingman’s AAW data link pod went bad....so he tuned up his buddies Walleye II with his pod and drove that one into the target.  Walleye had a uniquely developed warhead, so a bit more powerful and destructive than a normal MK-84 warhead. 

Cheers

Collin

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

About the use of the Walleye in DS. According to a book that I have, 131 Walleyes were expended during the war, primarily by A-7E's. Why so few? I don't know, but usually those big precision weapons like the GBU-24, GBU-15 and the Walleye are reserved for high value targets that need a big bang to destroy it. Not too many around of those.

The photo below was taken during Desert Shield on the USS John F Kennedy.

spdzJDd.jpg

• Like 3

Wow nice one! Working on my second kut which is an f-18D at the moment. Will use this awesome weathering and paintjob as a bit of a reference.