BSA folding bicycle w/ Royal Marine 1/35

Ted

I went to the nearest model shop (100 km) a couple months ago to buy a kit for this GB. I really wanted something 1/48 or bigger scale. I have much respect for all the 1/72 builders but it is not my comfort zone.

I found nothing priced less than my $17 Canadian limit on my first pass and was getting discouraged. But then I noticed a little pile of Diopark kits, I love the BSA folding bike and scratchbuilt one years ago. I would have bought this whatever the price and was so happy it fit the GB budget.

So I have a 1/35 vehicle and figure including stowage and photoetch :D

I'd like to use a Hornet or Ultracast resin head but they are $2.60+ each, which blows the budget.

20210511_121858

20210511_121939

20210511_121947

20210511_122026

• Like 19

Hi Ted. Welcome to the GB. And can I just say, I think your choice of kit for this GB is awesome!! I've just been saying, in another thread, that this type of kit is exactly one of the reasons I proposed this GB. The first Less Than a Tenner GB was the first GB I took part in, after I'd joined Britmodeller, and I loved seeing a such wide range of fascinating kits being built, all in one GB. And photoetch too!! Great find! Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

This look's a cracking subject Ted looking forward to progress,please don't paint the beret maroon you don't want to upset the boys from

Lympstone!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

This look's a cracking subject Ted looking forward to progress,please don't paint the beret maroon you don't want to upset the boys from

Lympstone!

Haha, thanks Steve. I have some research to do but I did know that maroon beret was wrong :D

• Like 2

The spokes are molded with the wheels but etched options are provided. You have to cut out the plastic spokes, bend the PE spokes in a clamshell die that comes with the kit. The die doesn't really bend the PE parts at all, they just spring back. Maybe I could aneal the PE first but they're so fragile I didn't want to make them any weaker. Even if the PE spokes are flat they can still be assembled.

The hubs are sooo tiny. You get three with the kit in case you lose one. I lost one and broke another. But I got a wheel together, I feel like I'm getting the trickiest assembly over with.

20210516_220032

• Like 9

On 5/18/2021 at 1:32 AM, TonyW said:

Excellent choice.

Those wheels look tiny! The chain and sprocket assembly must be minute.

Every part is so delicate! I glued the chainset in place last night and was a bit stressed about everything crumpling if I touched it.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:14 AM, Six97s said:

Interesting subject.  I can't imagine working on those wheels at that scale, even under magnification.  😮

I definitely used magnification.

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! Very impressive work on those wheels with the spokes!! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ned said:

They are stunning. Well worth the effort compared to the moulded jobbies.

Thanks Ned, they are worth the effort.

The bicycle frame pieces are very skinny and have four sprue attachment points. It makes for some delicate sawing to get the parts off without breaking them. I got the back halves of the frame together with the chainset.

20210519_213948

I also started on the marine. The head that comes with the kit is the only badly sculpted part so I used a spare plastic Dragon head. Just had to scrape off the helmet chinstrap and fit a beret.

20210519_213956

• Like 8

Hi Ted!! That really is looking superb! Lovely fine details. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for something like this........I'm really pleased you have!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stix and John,

It's been a bit stressful to build. The parts are so tiny I have to pare away the sprue attachments or else the bits either break or poing away. 

Just have to run the brake cables now.

20210605_205746

• Like 8

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks amazing :like:

Is that a bell on the handlebars  ?

Thanks, I'm really happy with it.

That is a bell on the handlebar. Looking at old photos I can't see any bells. Maybe this Marine was more safety consious than his mates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, dnl42 said:

Fabulous work!  :worthy:

Haha, thank you. The bike model is really nicely designed. No flash and everything fits well.

The rest of the kit is a different story, some flash, softer details and softer plastic. 

But it's together now. And the marine is assembled with a flattened solder rifle strap.

20210609_202452

20210609_202536

• Like 10

Wow!! Ted, that is looking awesome! Very impressive modelling! I can imagine some of those parts are really fiddly! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2021 at 6:50 AM, heloman1 said:

A great choice Ted, never heard of Diopark before, an interesting subject.

Colin

Thanks Colin, They've only done a few odd but interesting 1/35 kits, 

• 4 weeks later...

Summer is a busy time, I finally got back to the bench to paint the base coats and made a base. Lots of detail painting and basework to go.

20210814_185640

20210814_185653

20210814_185703

• Like 6