Mirage Hobby 1/35 7TP light tank. "More is less" turret version. FINISHED.

Ned

Here's the twin-turret Polish 7TP tank with the design copied from the Vickers Mark E. Bought for £7 from super-hobby.com in Poland in January just for this GB.

I've got the single turret version as well, so might go for broke and build both.

Im4ycfDKorhsyVNHUbLH8urO_G8ePdTx_uImJVca

Panzer III moves in for an easy kill:

L3ovP1ssHa5pCDogKFiooaCUlEhx_MgKaEtJxJ4x

Edited by Ned
  • Like 8

Hi Ned. Welcome to the GB! Wow! I like the look of your kit!! Two turrets! Mmmmm.....interesting idea! I'm looking forward to seeing this in progress. This is exactly why I like this GB - like the previous Less Than a Tenner GB - the range/type of kits being built looks like it's going to be fascinating! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

OK, time to kick the tyres...

Three sprues, one with a LOT of wheels, one for the hull, one with the unique parts for the twin turrets version. There a bit of flash, but nothing too horrible.

uAxsxiBrc9gT7-GeffQX89qLbwCF88kJsVQHUjty

WMSuxm7uEWqi9lMtuLLszjb5eWoUWYk1fJI1Tn_U

The painting instructions are all just one side view, shame they're not all in colour, I might need to get some crayons out before I can decide what I like.

LLzoxKKV_pzEEL-U5VUITGBUBtvrW05YpLxJxpAW

Choice of (I think) Vickers or Hotchkiss guns

JUPLgD_WBFBA5aDyMjzqNPalDsnn1bFVoOl5hTNI

Rubber bands, a limited decal sheet, and some funny little signal flags to add to one of the turrets.

B6Gju8-THvfw-PCrWcdg8HJCg1KcYYesCzNM-CvN

No time to start anything today, maybe tomorrow.

• Like 3

Here's my progress report. I'm not doing it just to bump myself up and out of the relegation zone, no sir!

o9b7WyY1Nf6Cq_Nzb0-NY_Cr6oICJa5xH3MsqnLn

The hull is slowly going together, one piece at a time, but not needing too much fettling to get a reasonable fit. The turrets aren't so good and are a bit of a fight. The facis plates fit perfectly, but only when upside down :S

The wheel bogies are fun little fellas, they look like octopus on iceskates (at the back near my snippers).

Loving it so far, tempted to start on the single-turret-Panzer-IV-smashing-Bofors-gun version as well.

One question - what's a nice easy way of replacing rivets? I'm going to lose a few on the turrets. Does dabs of PVA or CA glue work? I suppose I could always just slice them off and try to put them back afterwards. 

• Like 5

Great to see you are underway Ned and I'm pleased you are enjoying the build so far. Not too sure what you want to use for the replacement rivets. I've used slices off thin plastic round rod from the spares box for the odd one I've had to replace. They are usually small enough not to be noticeable. Others may have better ideas.

Kind regards,

Stix

The sprues are empty and the box is in the bin. Just need to clean up the tools and put them on, drill out the ends of the suspension arms, and deal with those horrible mould lines that you can see around the vision slits on the turret sides.

The droopy gun on one side looks like a dead dalek :)

A few more days and it will be ready to defend the streets of Warsaw.

76K7HN19qv-A8k5656r8xNPUO_pVHIzgVBXUuXa_

• Like 6

Wow! Very impressive progress Ned!! It really is looking excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing it with the paint going on.

Kind regards,

Stix

I had my 2nd COVID vaccination yesterday, so I've not felt like doing much.

In the spirit of this GB I'm going to use the paint that I've bought for my Renault FT, so this is AK "French Milky Coffee". I haven't done any shading, so it's very flat, but once I decided how to do it, I'll be adding green and brown. It'll be my first camouflaged tank.

QoUX1iBobm7BoWVK_7tJ6IrbXwxBKe1pV8RQyTg1

• Like 7

On 23/05/2021 at 19:00, Ned said:

I had my 2nd COVID vaccination yesterday

Hi Ned. Had my second vaccination this afternoon......so we'll see what tomorrow brings! Hope you are feeling better today. Your 7TP looks great in it's paint coat! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

48 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ned. Had my second vaccination this afternoon......so we'll see what tomorrow brings! Hope you are feeling better today. Your 7TP looks great in it's paint coat! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

It didn't really affect me much, I just felt a bit tired and had heavy legs over the weekend. I was sort of wanting to feel worse to justify having a day off work, but I was fine by monday morning so no luck there!  Hope you recover quickly too.

I've just been painting the roadwheels and bogies tonight, nothing exciting enough for a picture. Plucking up courage to try something for the first time - freehand airbrushing the camouflage colours.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Not had much time over the last few weeks what with half-term and all that. Plus my den/office became a store room for my son's stuff while his bedroom was getting a new carpet.

This weekend I think it'll be time to get this finished.

Not sure about the tracks though - do you think that this is a bit too much slack for it to be realistic? I should've tested them before I stuck them together 🤦‍♀️

3A4p-yETcZdV0LTnBlheGb4VNAnCOsWcF9pOysbl

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nice camouflage. That is a lot of slack compared to photos of the tank. I seem to remember the kit tracks being very soft rubber with good detail.

6 hours ago, Ted said:

Nice camouflage. That is a lot of slack compared to photos of the tank. I seem to remember the kit tracks being very soft rubber with good detail.

Did yours fit? I've had to cut out 4 links. Working with these rubber tracks is feeling a bit like a lost skill, the teeth on the sprockets don't fit very well either, and it never occurred to me to check the fit before fitting the sprockets to the hull and making alterations 10x more difficult. If I'd thought about it I would've thinned the teeth whereas now I'm trying to make the holes in the track a bit bigger.

I don't remember having these issues 40 years ago, when almost every problem was solved with more glue :)

The only good thing to say about the tracks is that they're on. They don't fit the sprockets at all. I think that they've been stretched somehow, the holes are too far apart for the teeth, and I also had to cut out 4 links.

The other side looks awful, I won't show it because I don't want to offend anyone :)

I'll do some panel lining, maybe a filter, and then chuck some muck over it. There are no decals, these went into their final battle with no markings.

SUrFE9ZpX8fL8z4It35J54tGQizE9D2f-RCPsZ9A

• Like 3

Just had a semi-disaster :)

I was adding some delicate, subtle weathering to the hull, and then sneezed and tipped an entire bottle of grime over the damn thing!

Suffice to say that it's going to be a bit dirtier than I was intending. Some parts look quite good, but I don't think I'll try it again.

In the light of day it looks a bit rubbish, so I think I'm just going to call this one done and move on. From what I have read these twin-turret tanks were pulled from training schools and only used in the last week or so of fighting on the streets of Warsaw, so I was wanting something with a bit of street grime and dust, not caked in brown sludge. Oh well.

My aftermarket addition of 1/2 bottle of Streaking Grime adds another £2.25 to my build, so it's come out at £9.25 :)

On the plus side the mop-up took so long that I missed a big chunk of the England vs Scotland game.

JSYin2xWyi-nSdyyak8Byo1qSdncXX3Ql9EU_VJX

I was Googling to find out what all of the grilles on the rear deck were for and accidentally found an IBG Models kit of the single turret version with full interior that I'm going to find hard to resist...

Edited by Ned
  • Like 4

• Ned changed the title to Mirage Hobby 1/35 7TP light tank. "More is less" turret version. FINISHED.
6 hours ago, Ned said:

I was Googling to find out what all of the grilles on the rear deck were for and accidentally found an IBG Models kit of the single turret version with full interior that I'm going to find hard to resist...

Something like these?

20180321191534-09 DSC00521

There is probably a gap of at least 20 years between the first and second pic in terms of my visits to the tank museum - one with Vickers MG ? and one with an MG and a 3 pdr gun - the latter is I think the Model E Type B - not sure about the right hand one in the first pic as seems to be a single turret version of the Type A? Of course some of the foreign Type A clones had a cannon in one turret and an mg in the other as I recall. The type B is apparently a late version somewhat modified and was being built for Siam (Thailand) when WWII broke out so was used by the Brits for training. If you have not seen it already this may be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVP2TPkcufs

Pete

Edited by PeterB

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

Something like these?

20180321191534-09 DSC00521

There is probably a gap of at least 20 years between the first and second pic in terms of my visits to the tank museum - one with Vickers MG ? and one with an MG and a 3 pdr gun - the latter is I think the Model E Type B - not sure about the right hand one in the first pic as seems to be a single turret version of the Type A? Of course some of the foreign Type A clones had a cannon in one turret and an mg in the other as I recall. The type B is apparently a late version somewhat modified and was being built for Siam (Thailand) when WWII broke out so was used by the Brits for training. If you have not seen it already this may be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVP2TPkcufs

Pete

Mirage Hobby do quite a few different Vickers versions as well as the 7TPs. I did enjoy the build bar the awful tracks and could've avoided that with a little forward planning. I need to build a single turret 7TP to fit in with my '1.Panzer Division and it's opponents' theme - they didn't fight in Warsaw and so didn't fight against the twin turret version. The single turret had a Bofors gun that was more than capable against the Panzer II and III in use at the time. They also captured a fair number and took them to France in 1940.

I think I need to build another twin as well, with a figure in each turret to make it look even more comical :)

The more of these oddities that I build, the more interested in them I become...

Hi Ned. Well despite the issues you had with the tracks and the "weathering" accident you had late on - I think it looks excellent in the Gallery! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1