1/48 ICM P-51K Mustang - £10

Hi Folks!

This is my first Group Build so be gentle 🤣, I was originally going to enter with the Vulcan kit I picked up from a charity shop a while back as it was next on my build list anyway, but sadly when I dug out the box the price tag on it was £14.99, so that was out. I went and had a look in Dave Coley's "10 quid or less" section and found this mustang kit.

ynoEbLvbBEkiMHYYle7F_NndK7HX0bH3NhtU3t0v

Free tweezers and pen!

The Moulding all looks really nice, with good detail and very little flash. I'll be giving them a good clean before I start though as theres a lot of mould release still on the parts.

c5EHCB6b7yDI0NE1fC7NVINmW24fMllPBykWaF_l

m1v7k1T6yXK2EEjS2e-LYdZ9Lp_TAsCXfPnEjm_E

This will be my first 1/48 scale kit, all my previous aircraft have been 1/72, and it will also be the firt time I've ventured outside of the Airfix/Revell bubble so it should be fun and a new challenge.

I will be a little slow starting on this properly as I've just had confirmation of our mortgage being approved on our new house so I'll be in the throws of a house move in the next few weeks, chances are the moddleing gear will be packed up in a week or two when I finish the kit ive already got in progress.

/Rav

• Like 10

Gentle is for the meek.  Into the deep end with ye!  :jump_fire:

Welcome to Group Builds.....it's the community w/in a community.  Or for some of us.....our Hotel California.  :lol:  It's a great group of people around here, enjoy your stay.

Looks like a tidy little kit.  You've actually just reminded me I'm supposed to build a Mustang for our local club "competition" at next month's meeting.....  Oops.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

This is my first Group Build so be gentle

But it won't be your last! You are one of us now. :evil_laugh:

A very nice choice of kit for a good price too, I look forward to watching your progress.

• Like 2

Welcome! I've just about finished my first GB (a Panzer III) and about to dive into my second. It's all fun, but seeing what everyone else is up to will soak up all of your free time :)

• Like 2

Hi Rav. Welcome to this group build. Great to have here for your first GB. Great looking kit too! I hope all the house moving goes well too.

Kind regards,

Stix

Posted (edited)

Thanks Guys, Can't wait to get started, although any actual building will need to wait till after the move, I might include setting up the new work bench as part of the build log 😁 in the mean time I'll be figuring out what paint I need to get that aluminium finish, havent played around with metallics yet so that should be interesting.

Edited by Ravnos
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

So as I mentioned in the first post I'm not going to be able to make any serious progress with the kit until after the house move, our current flat is a chaos of boxes at the moment and I'm trying to finish the paint on my other WiP so it and all the modeling gear can get packed away. However in the mean time in leu of a proper update I've given the parts a wash and decided on paint. I'm torn between which of the paint shemes to go for though, the options are:

1.  "Sunshine" as per the box art. More stripes less aluminium

V8FS-fz3_1Q8GmbAw4O93ukehEdinos_nh5u9SgV

or

2. "Nooky Booky IV" Less stripes more aluminium.

Zxo9rchwbIX1clCeyc7nEj10GGFEpJsYbIc3BKkC

I'm leaning slightly towards the box art option but not totally decided yet, what do you guys think?

Edited by Ravnos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ravnos said:

I'm leaning slightly towards the box art option but not totally decided yet, what do you guys think?

Im rather partial to Kit Carson’s “Nooky Booky” myself. Though I think the instructions are incorrect on the date ? The underwing serial shouldn't appear until may or later in 1945 ? It was added to prevent pilot's from buzzing and hot rodding the locals post war. It allowed for easier I.D. of anyone breaking the rules. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I like the box art option, a nice scheme and we don't get nearly as many Pacific based Mustangs built as ETO ones.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance.... ETO?

That's one vote for each so far :P

• Like 2

Nice choice for a tenner :) ICM's  P-51s are... let's keep it at 'inspired by' the Tamiya 1/48 Mustangs. 
A bit rougher around the edges, but with proper attention cleaning up build nicely. 

👍 good luck :) 

20 hours ago, Ravnos said:

You'll have to forgive my ignorance.... ETO?

That's one vote for each so far :P

Stripy. Little different than the many bare metal or standard DDay striped ones.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Nice choice for a tenner :) ICM's  P-51s are... let's keep it at 'inspired by' the Tamiya 1/48 Mustangs. 
A bit rougher around the edges, but with proper attention cleaning up build nicely. 

👍 good luck :) 

Thanks :) Painting is definately where I need the most practice so this should be a good challenge. And honestly if you're going to pick a company to be "inspired" by, Tamiya is a pretty good choice 😂

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, I know its been a while but I'm FINALLY in the new house with something resembeling a man cave set up, so I can get back to this and dig the mustang out of its box!

New desks setup in the new room, probably not its final arrangement but it will do for now!

FCjZx1PMyjXIMAbKCDKZ3c_Cj3NZN66Vfor2G_Tq

W0QohemgT-vVAd5hNdKk3_Uifbv17Bd-nR9rYnBU

Last night I managed to throw a coat of primer on the first few bits for the cockpit.

5OfC9LoRsMF2aXYT3vRISdxfcopmfzlHdE7t1er1

Started painting this afternoon, mostly with the revered hary stick for the moment which has reminded me how much I suck at brush painting but it's going to have to do for now, the airbrush will come back into action for the exterior once the fiddely bits are done.

jd3bi5P3xY3ZADYRZ9x8B1KM9ifeYdE-X2wzOdDQ

_jzU0irc8TQW869SYYM2GPz_IjcoXe6h2q8vKBim

iLj31p4WPcDCDcqKBXcXjLS3vNeKGK7BC8oECZJE

I made an bottom of the red on the dash so decided in my own headcannon that the pilot has taken a stray round that delt a glancing blow to his leg spraying blood across the instruments.

anyway thats all I've got at the moment, fingers crossed the rest of the build should proceed a bit quicker now ;)

P.S. @PlaStix can I have a ruling on something? the kit cost exactly a tenner so while theres no wiggle room would you be opposed to me adding a 3d printed stand? I want to (if the kit allows) finish it gear up and in flight, the stand wont cost me anything as I've already got the filament lying around.

• Like 3

Hi Ravnos. Great to see you are underway and it's looking good so far! :thumbsup:

With regards a stand for your model - yes of course - that sounds perfectly acceptable!

Kind regards,

Stix

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Off to a very nice start, good job on painting the pilot.

Thanks buddy :) first time painting one in this scale, all my previous planes have been 1/72, in some ways its easier but at the same time feels harder to hide the crimes 🤣

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ravnos. Great to see you are underway and it's looking good so far! :thumbsup:

With regards a stand for your model - yes of course - that sounds perfectly acceptable!

Kind regards,

Stix

Awesome thanks, got the printer out of its box and its humming away behind me, miraculously it doesnt seem to have lost any calibration in the move (touch wood)

Made a little more progress today, Fuse together and wings assembled:

fZhmFWmQSjIP4CkpBI9SN9tOQrJmw6AKwGdtQ-6u

The gear bay was a bit of a pain, the kit was never designed for a "gear up" build, so the doors needed some tweeking to get them to fit:

82c37w9SImDvwt5f-pWSgoEtfNkTaMltMTQXOAVy

Lined them up with a small peice of bluetack as scafolding while some extra thin was run into the seams:

H9__MwwgQanEeWYwUp4WnbK24253ci559L-YiWF9

pEKivLZI2_vg-X6GjeGnYgBYTOc8R1Kbk5tcXxCO

Followed by a liberal application of Vallejo's plastic putty, wiping the excess away with a finger:

WwWP-wcsTd6aP6ng7w9sKRxa1xIe05mMvy3elDr0

moCwKtzigGljQBRfIDmCJPS8E0gwqtfTYGjc9NjN

filled in the black paint round the cockpit with a brush, and sprayed a coat of matt black on some of the smaller parts:

e6OuPy2-YXlbxVeLP9jNcwzBKmEJGp6UDuXsXRO5

(that small piece on the left is supposed to go at the front of the cockpit, a gunsight of some sort I think but the instructions are NOT clear where its supposed to attach)

Thanks for looking folks, thats all the progress for the moment, next challenge is figureing out how to run a thread through the canopy for the radio antenna. Any suggestions? Luckily the kit includes two seemingly identical canopys on the clear sprue so I'll get at least one screwup 😆

Kyvf0Urh0QHHa9FbgANxV4xV1P6I7_3h67uyNrCS

Edit: typos

Edited by Ravnos
  • Like 2