Lightning P38 J15 / F5E 2 Retractable landing light location

DOD

Hi all

Can anyone please point me in the direction of drawings that show the precise size and location of the retractable landing light on the underside of the port wing of the Lightning J 15? Preferably internet, but otherwise a recommended book.

I am working on a F5E 2 which is based on the J15 using an Academy 1/48 which is actually a J25. I have a photo of my subject that shows the rough location but would like to get more accurate information, mainly for the light but the whole aircraft for interest. I have trawled the internet but cannot find any drawings for this version. 

Does anyone know how this light worked? Did it hinge down to face forward? I see the later versions had one in the leading edge of the wing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers 

David

I have attached a link to the P-38J displayed in unrestored condition at the NASM Dulles annex. It was actually an XP-38N, and the underwing landing light was evidently removed, but you can see where the light under the LH wing was removed and a panel fitted in its place. P-38J-15's and previous had the landing light in this location, and it was extended by a hinge at the rear of the light that allowed it to drop down when the switch was operated. I have also attached  links to P-38F  'Glacier Gal' that shows the light fitted, which was in the same location for all Lightnings until after the J-15 block and all L's, at which time it was relocated to the LE of the LH wing. Hope these help.

Mike

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/walkaround/smithsonian/index.html

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/walkaround/gg/first_flight/index.html

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/walkaround/gg/visit2/index.html

BTW, many years ago I visited the NASM storage facility at Silverhill, MD, and got to see  the XP-38N up close- covered with dust and crammed into one of the numerous hangars used for storing the aircraft and artifacts awaiting restoration or display, but 100% original.

Hi Mike

Many thanks for this. I can work out the location and size from the photos. All the rest are really useful for extra detail.

A bonus is the shots of the mirrors on the inside of the engine nacelles.  I had read they existed but not actually seen them. Were they always this oval shape?

Thanks again. 

Cheers

David

On 5/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, DOD said:

Were they always this oval shape?

Yes, they were. Hard to find a photo of the underwing landing light on a restored/airworthy Lightning as almost all of them seem to be P-38L's, and they all had the LE landing light. Glad I could help.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling