Scribing Panel Lines Advice

fishplanebeer

My next project is the Italeri 72nd scale Dornier Do217E which I'd assumed would have recessed panel lines but instead the kit is of an earlier vintage with raised details so I'm now contemplating possibly removing them and scribing them back in place. Trouble is that I have never attempted to do this before although I do have a scribing tool and some scribing tape to guide the blade in order to achieve straight lines.

As such can anyone offer some good basic advice please on how best to go about this as I really don't know where to start, for example do you do the nose-tail lines first, do you assemble the kit or do each section before initial assembly, do you need to invest in some metal templates as well...............?

Regards

Colin.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

here are a few tips: 

as a rule it is better to rescribe each part before assembly. You will need metal templates if you plan to rescribe access panels for example. Note that scribing inside a metal template is better done with a sewing pin secured in an X-acto blade.  Dymo tape is also good as a substitute for scribing tape. To correct errors, apply CA glue (with a bit of stretched sprue) precisely inside the scribed line, then hit it with a bit of CA accelerator. You can sand the scribed line flat right away. CA glue is better than putty since one can rescribe over hard CA without trouble.

I would advice to do some search on Google or Youtube, I am sure there are plenty of videos explaining how to rescribe. 

HTH Christian.