Parliamo Italiano has gone Machiavellian! Please vote for In The Wrong Hands instead!

TonyOD

Certainly up for this, Tony and Pat.

As Don Vito would say, a man who does not spend time with his 54mm roman figures, is not a real man!

Alan

• Haha 1

Thank you, @Thom216 and @Angus Tura, I will add you to the list.

Alan, ordinarily I would take the "unlucky" 13 slot and put you in number one, but in Italy 17 is considered the unluckiest of numbers, so tredici it is for you!

• Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Parliamo Italiano! Tredici!

I did not know that. 13 is my lucky number. I had it for an exam number a lot of years ago, to my horror. But I passed.

Alan  

Edited by Angus Tura
italics
  • Like 2

Just now, Angus Tura said:

There is clearly some sort of weird astrological conjunction here, which must be a good bunfight-omen.

Alan

17 + 13 = 30 🤪

Good idea Tony. 

Please add me to the list. 

It will probably end up being an Italian Starfighter in weathered light grey from the 90’s. 

Thanks

James 

• Thanks 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Parliamo Italiano! Quattordici!
25 minutes ago, SAU said:

Vorrei essere numero quindici

You, signore, get the coveted Jon Bon Jovi slot.

This is because in the immortal words of a certain rock singer of Italian heritage...

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Haha 4

• TonyOD changed the title to Parliamo Italiano! Bon Jovi!

Hi Tony,

I'd like to take part, please! I've got a couple of items in my stash that would fit the Italian-operated parameter, and then of course there's always the excuse to buy something Italian-built!

Cheers,

Mark

@Andwil and @2996 Victor - benvenuti! You are on the list.

Mark, you get the number one slot, as I explained above in Italy it's 17 rather than 13 that's considered an unlucky number and I wouldn't want to jinx your build (and anyway it's my lucky number!)

• Haha 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Parliamo Italiano! Siamo diciassette... ma siamo fortunati!
5 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

@Andwil and @2996 Victor - benvenuti! You are on the list.

Mark, you get the number one slot, as I explained above in Italy it's 17 rather than 13 that's considered an unlucky number and I wouldn't want to jinx your build (and anyway it's my lucky number!)

Thanks, Tony, I don't think I've ever been No.1 before!!! :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Come mai tanti che parlano la bella lingua?!

Io?  Solo un po'

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Welcome aboard @Wez!

Grazie!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:08 AM, TonyOD said:

You, signore, get the coveted Jon Bon Jovi slot.

This is because in the immortal words of a certain rock singer of Italian heritage...

spacer.png

There's an awful lot going on in this picture that's just plain wrong! Mind you I used to have a client who kept a framed photo of him on her desk and would probably disagree with me.

Count me in. The stash is surprisingly light on Italian subjects although there is an MB-326 that I really want to get to, there are a couple of airliners that could easily find themselves in Alitalia colours, and I've got a slightly weird obsession with the Piaggio P.166 but no kit... yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zebra said:

I used to have a client who kept a framed photo of him on her desk and would probably disagree with me.

I saw Bon Jovi in Florence in 1988, New Jersey tour I think it was. They put on a good show. Jon's attempts at speaking Italian were warmly received but grammatically questionable.

This is my cue to indulge myself and explain the origin of my passion for Italy. Early in my career I worked in export sales for a company that had a large number of clients in Italy. They sent me to study and then work in Italy for a year so I could learn the language, and I fell in love with the place, I've been back for business and pleasure many times since. Couple of years ago when I turned 50 I took SWMBO to "my town", Florence (and then afterwards Venice). While we were there I revisited my front door in Via degli Alfani from 31 years previously. I was having a bit of a moment here, if I'm honest!

spacer.png

Welcome aboard, @zebra. I 'll add you to the list!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I saw Bon Jovi in Florence in 1988, New Jersey tour I think it was. They put on a good show. Jon's attempts at speaking Italian were warmly received but grammatically questionable.

This is my cue to indulge myself and explain the origin of my passion for Italy. Early in my career I worked in export sales for a company that had a large number of clients in Italy. They sent me to study and then work in Italy for a year so I could learn the language, and I fell in love with the place, I've been back for business and pleasure many times since. Couple of years ago when I turned 50 I took SWMBO to "my town", Florence (and then afterwards Venice). While we were there I revisited my front door in Via degli Alfani from 31 years previously. I was having a bit of a moment here, if I'm honest!

spacer.png

Welcome aboard, @zebra. I 'll add you to the list!

Florence is on my (long!) list of places I really need to see. I'd also really love to see the Calcio Storico there but I know I'm going to have to settle for seeing it online!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zebra said:

Florence is on my (long!) list of places I really need to see. I'd also really love to see the Calcio Storico there but I know I'm going to have to settle for seeing it online!

Oh. there's nowhere like it. From where sit I can see my 40+ books about Italian history of the 15th and 16th centuries, and Firenze was right in the thick of it! I haven't seen the Calcio Storico in the flesh either, I'd certainly like to. There's an excellent documentary about it on Netflix.

14 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

There's an excellent documentary about it on Netflix.

Yes, seen it - Home Game, well worth watching. The Calcio Storico looks like an incredible spectacle and there can't be anything else quite like it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zebra said:

The Calcio Storico looks like an incredible spectacle and there can't be anything else quite like it.

We have the Shrovetide football in Derbyshire that's sort of similar if only in that it has very old origins and involves a lot of argy-bargy, but it's less blatantly violent and a few hundred years older The Calcio Storico is basically a brawl with a ball somewhere in the middle of it, it's extraordinary. On at least one occasion (about ten years ago I think) the match was terminated because things got really out of hand. 

The Italians get very worked up about neighbourhood identity within their cities. There's another good film called "The Last Victory" that's worth a watch, it's about the Palio horse race in Siena. Passions run very high indeed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zebra said:

I've got a slightly weird obsession with the Piaggio P.166 but no kit... yet.

If you find yourself in a bidding war over one of these on the 'Bay... it might well be me 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, zebra said:

I used to have a client who kept a framed photo of him on her desk and would probably disagree with me.

It’s just occurred to me that this slightly unusual.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...