Early Roller!

Fifer54

I enjoyed myself so much doing the Ambulance Jeep that I decided to have another go with another wheelie thing!

I recently bought two vintage Airfix 1/32 car kits in an online auction (no, not on that "well-known auction site"), so I'll do one of them.

I've chosen this one because of its open cockpit (I'd have to sort out some glazing for the other, cos Airfix didn't provide any!)

So here's what I'm building

p?i=16d0a56006a8d365e94775bc19bd1824

Instructions (all of 42 parts, including driver!):

p?i=4d83fa02cb84df9a91514ff494861d59

Most of the parts were off the sprue when bought, but it seems to be all there:

p?i=fab1e0d6a0d52cec80b69922b958d2cb

It should be possible to make a start in the next day or two. I haven't built one of these Airfix vintage cars in over fifty years. It will, of course be OOB, except the paint instructions say Black

tyres- I know that's wrong, mine will be pale grey . . .

• Like 9

Thanks, Brad and Tim,

I made a start, and this kit is a nightmare-warpage, general bad fit, poorly moulded parts and it just doesn't fit together!

So, I glued up the body (left and right halves), and did some sanding and filling where they didn't fit properly. The mouldings are

quite thick, so misaligned edges aren't easy to straighten, but there's plenty of plastic to sand some away to get a fit. The bulkheads below, and behind, the front seats

were the worst, and have required some filler to fair the joint!

The body was attached to the chassis, and there was so much warpage in both body and chassis that it all had to be clamped up overnight. The horrible dashboard was then trimmed to fit

and added, as was a rear crossmember/transverse spring (I'm not sure which it is!), before a lick of paint to seats and to under the chassis.

p?i=a6c215536ea0b3cea6c595e60b6a9f3e

I intend to follow Airfix's colour suggestions, using Humbrol Brunswick Green as the main colour. The suggest "Gold" for all the metallic-finish parts, but I'll use brass instead.

They prescribe black for the tyres, but that's not right for a car of this era- some say they should be white, but mine will be pale grey . . .

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

That is good progress on this one. Back in my youth I used to enjoy building the Airfix classic cars. This brings back memories, but not any about the warping.

Ray

3 hours ago, Ray S said:

That is good progress on this one. Back in my youth I used to enjoy building the Airfix classic cars. This brings back memories, but not any about the warping.

Ray

Thanks, Ray. I also enjoyed building Airfix's classic cars, and their modern (1960s-70s!) ones too. The imminent arrival of the "Vintage Classics" Beach Buggy has rekindled my interest. I'll have to have one!

Anyroadup, back to this car. It's now FINISHED!

p?i=639193c06c9f878792e8105f617c90b7

More pix in the gallery shortly!

• Like 7