Tiger Moth - Airfix 1/48

Here's my Airfix 1/48 Tiggie, from the box except for tape harnesses, the SBS rigging set and Xtradecals.

It's a delightful kit and one of Airfix's best.  Two slightly odd aspects are (1) they provide three props and no indication of what they are - I chose the one with the nicest shape but no idea if it's correct or not - the photo shows the other two; (2) the wheels are handed and have moulded flats on the bottom but assembling them (as far as I can tell) correctly, the flats are oriented the wrong way!  Some gentle twisting got them parallel to the ground without breaking the wheels off the axle.

It's the second biplane I've rigged.  The first was the Walrus, using guitar wire.  The SBS set was OK and fitted well but it is expensive.  All power to those building 1/72 biplanes - my fingers are almost too fat to do 1/48.

I emailed Hannants to ask if their decal designer had a photo of the full size aircraft to show whether the anti-spin strakes were fitted but he hadn't.  So how did he design the decals?  The scheme is the same as one of the ones previously offered by AZ in 1/72 so I wonder........   I'm becoming a bit jaded with Xtradecals.  These silvered badly in spite of a glossy Kleer coat and some Micro Set and, like the Hunter ones, the yellow is a bit out of register with a shadow around the edge of the 'A'.  Adhesion wasn't brilliant either.

It's a nice companion to my now rather ancient Magister.  Thanks for looking!

hvDyvyGG_o.jpg

dCCD5uyL_o.jpg

G2oSWPjr_o.jpg

kCUbhSrr_o.jpg

LFzjxytc_o.jpg

yXTEWbfo_o.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1