L188 DAKOTA Mk III STORY -1/48

- In the night of 05 december 1944, Dakota Mk III  L188 of 24 Sq OTU crashed on the "Pic de la Camisette" of the Pyrenee above the village of Mijanes in southern France in its way from Northolt to Marseille with 20 glIder pilot and crew aboard.They are burried in the military cimetery  of Mazargues near Marseille

- I met Mr Mathevet the mayor of the village who told me  this story and  built a model to show what the real  C 47  look like for his small muséum of the village which collect some parts of the wreck and a few documents in the memory of the victims.

bYPFgH.jpg 
UEudCC.jpg

gTY6dr.jpg 
OCPBVo.jpg

xaisMu.jpg

GkNkHr.jpg

3gMlOg.jpg

ZpV1Dk.jpg

-As a museum exhibit I didn't made any weathearing 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That's a very nice build of the old Monogram kit. I like the subtle staining around the nacelles.

I was unaware of that Dakota accident. Derby Airways lost a Dakota in the Pyrenees in 1961 and Six Years late Air Ferry a DC 4. Sadly many more aircraft both Civil and military have come to grief in the region over the Years.

• Thanks 1

Wow.

Apart from the super modelling the story is dreadfully sad. 

You would have thought with all the aircrew on board heading for Marseilles running into an East Pyrennean mountainn was  was a shockingly bad bit of navigation. 

December weather and all that accepted, but they must have been about 200 kms off course.

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spelinge erur

Bravo! Very well done! :clap2:

That's a wonderful tribute to the young men who died in a truly tragic event. I'm certain it will be a treasured addition to their museum.

4 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Wow.

Apart from the super modelling the story is dreadfully sad. 

You would have thought with all the aircrew on board heading for Marseilles running into an East Pyrennean mountainn was  was a shockingly bad bit of navigation. 

December weather and all that accepted, but they must have been about 200 kms off course.

- For sure it is a large error, the Spanish boarder is not far away,did they elected to follow the mountain chain to reach the sea as quickly as possible to find better weather? did the air war situation in the moment on their way forced them to change their course? no one can tell. Navigation aids in this time were not what they are today. After having posted my model I made some researches and discover that the crash occured in daylight as they took off at 9 a.m from England with another Dak. the weather may have been appalling in December so closely to the mountains in this part of their path.  , three of them had survived the crash, two albeit severly injured, managed to reach the nearest village to call for rescue,dying later. When the rescue party arrived on the site they found some other still alive but so badly hurt they couldn't do anythings for them.

- Very sad wartime story......