First Star Wars announcement from Round 2

Posted (edited)

There's a video posted where the gent from Round 2 is showing a mocked up Tie Fighter in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale and asking for attendees what their preference was. The 1/32 would pair up with the existing MPC kit of Vader's Tie X1.

As for the MPC Falcon, he mentioned that they're re-doing the hull sides and radar dish to make them more accurate. 

Carl

Edited by FG2Si
On 6/6/2021 at 8:53 PM, Madmonk said:

Round 2 have also announced at Wonderfest that they are retooling the 1/72 MPC Falcon, it will have to be a major retool to get that kit anything like accurate!😂

Pretty sure Bandai won the Blue Ribband for that model a few years back. I think it would have to be well below the £100 mark to be viable tbh.

Most obvious move for R2 to make imho (and would seem reasonably consistent with some of their approaches over the past 10 years) would be to consider a new tool AT-AT in 1/48 along with a new tool Shuttle Tydirium in1/72. Would provide a nice accompaniment to other models available.

There's also real scope to go into areas not yet explored in 1/48 IM before, including a B-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Interceptor and Tie Bomber. The size alone would make them significant investments but whie some might regard them as fairly niche subjects I doubt they would be any less so (more than likely more) than the Space 1999 kits which appear to have sold really well. So much so that they provided the nudge to create a new tool in a different scale (1/72).

I'm fascinated by the potential available and will be watching the news around all of this keenly.

Not sure what would make anyone reissue any MPC kit of any subject.

MPC almost put me off the hobby at an early stage. Their kits were mostly toylike and unsatisfying to build. I still have nightmares about them.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, upnorth said:

Not sure what would make anyone reissue any MPC kit of any subject.

MPC almost put me off the hobby at an early stage. Their kits were mostly toylike and unsatisfying to build. I still have nightmares about them.

They were definitely a product of their time and I was quite fond of their Star Wars kits when I was a kid, but with the range of recent toolings from Bandai, Fine Molds and even Revell, it is a little perplexing. I could understand it if it involved subjects poorly served by recent toolings such as the Shuttle Tydirium but the other kits are a bit of a head scratcher. That said I do like the Snowspeeder for its size... just not the crew figures though 😬

There doesn't appear to be an official size for the Razor Crest but general opinion has it at about 26.5m which would make it about 370mm or almost 15" for the imperialists out there.

• Like 1