First Star Wars announcement from Round 2

6 hours ago, upnorth said:

Not sure what would make anyone reissue any MPC kit of any subject.

MPC almost put me off the hobby at an early stage. Their kits were mostly toylike and unsatisfying to build. I still have nightmares about them.

They were definitely a product of their time and I was quite fond of their Star Wars kits when I was a kid, but with the range of recent toolings from Bandai, Fine Molds and even Revell, it is a little perplexing. I could understand it if it involved subjects poorly served by recent toolings such as the Shuttle Tydirium but the other kits are a bit of a head scratcher. That said I do like the Snowspeeder for its size... just not the crew figures though 😬

• Like 1

There doesn't appear to be an official size for the Razor Crest but general opinion has it at about 26.5m which would make it about 370mm or almost 15" for the imperialists out there.

• Like 1

Of course, Bandai, followed by Fine Molds, win the prize for the highest-level of detail, and Bandai especially for kit engineering and fit... And yet, there is one category where Round 2 will likely beat them both: whatever plastic Round 2 molds their kits it, it is highly unlikely that the kit plastic will be as sensitive to washes and thinners as both Bandai and Fine Molds kits notoriously are... The fair-to-middling Round 2 SW kits will likely not have the propensity to crack and break up under washes, so that's one potential plus point for R2.

I, too, think that price will be an important factor and affordable pricing for these kits will be critical for inticing anyone who has already built Fine Molds and Bandai kits, to buy any of the Round 2 Star Wars kits. Same goes for pulling beginning or young modelers into the hobby with these kits --- they have to be affordable for the target market(s). 

My hope is that the re-pops are just an initial offering to help finance releases of new kits, like a Sandcrawler, 1/48 Y-Wing, a Blockade Runner, even a 1/24 Luke's Landspeeder, et al, would be great to see... Heck, despite having a few in the stash, I'd buy a Snowspeeder repop or two, but ONLY if  they included good sculpts of pilot and gunner figures!

Dreaming, but wouldn't it be great to see a Rebel laser turret in scale with the Snowspeeder as well?

Time will tell...

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

Edited by JohnnyBros718
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, JohnnyBros718 said:

I, too, think that price will be an important factor and affordable pricing for these kits will be critical for inticing anyone who has already built Fine Molds and Bandai kits, to buy any of the Round 2 Star Wars kits. Same goes for pulling beginning or young modelers into the hobby with these kits --- they have to be affordable for the target market(s). 

Outside of the U.S Polar lights kits are very expensive , if you look at the star trek range then their 1/1000 starships are around $25 or £16 in the U.S. but in the U.K. and Europe the price is around £35, sadly they had to cut a lot of the space 1999 lines of kits due to poor sales, i believe this was due to high international pricing, i buy my kits wholesale from a importer and they stopped carrying polar lights kits due to untenable prices and low volume of sales .

On 6/22/2021 at 2:31 PM, Neil Lambess said:

The star wars legion games system has a very nice injection molded turret in 48thish scale that looks nice with the Bandai snowspeeders

Thanks, Neil! I will have to check that out!!! I've built --- but not painted the Star Wars Legion Escape Pod, and the detail is quite good. Will have ta check into those Rebel turrets.

Thanks amigo!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

• Like 1