Gloster F.5/34 - Magna Models 1/72 - Finished

I think I have enough time to get this one going:

7-A9-C5293-477-D-452-D-B8-EB-9-B53400-B2

0-D2-E97-C2-5-EE5-4579-9-D46-B9-D31918-C

I’ve cleaned up some of the casting blocks at some point but there’s still a lot more to do.

The more numerically-gifted amongst you will have noticed that there is only one tailplane. Not Magna’s fault but a warning against playing with kits in a chaotic garage! It never turned up again. I’m thinking Oyumaru and Milliput.

The canopies have also become quite yellowed over time, so I think I will fill the yellower one with Milliput and vac a fresh one.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 11

Here’s the result of making a quick mould of the tailplane then stuffing it full of Milliput:

F0-DACE70-754-D-44-A2-A378-7-C0-EFC30-B6

I think that will be fine with a bit of trimming and sanding.

While I had some Milliput on the go, I remodelled the nose of my P1127, which previously had a bit of a ski jump:

A31-D568-D-11-CB-479-E-8901-6-DBB222189-

And I stuck the rest into the yellower canopy to get a mould so I can vacform a new one:

5-E98-BBEE-0-B54-4-ECA-8-BA5-BCA413-DEEC

• Like 10

After the Snargasher, this looks very mundane! But it does bring up the century- congratulations on starting build thread 100 in this GB.

The plane with no name? Again, in marked contrast to the Snargasher; but I'm sure we'll all enjoy hitching a ride on the build

• Haha 1

Hi Adrian,  My only Magna is this Gloster F9/37.  A lot of work - but ultimately very rewarding.

Magna-Models-Gloster-F9-37-FP.jpg

Here's what I wrote about it last year:

Thoughts: The kit contains resin parts, white metal detail parts, a vacformed canopy - and NO decals. Instructions are rather vague.
The resin had shocking amounts of flash on the resin. Equally rough finish to the metal parts - prompting a search of my spares box. Some parts like wheels and propellors - I just didn't want to take risks with.
I knew that I'd learn new skills - like carving flash. I also knew that I'd gain loads more experience at skills that I've used before - like wet sanding, and vacformed canopies. Oh and making that cockpit fit together!
The start of this project was a bit daunting, I didn't feel very enthusiastic about adding much detail over and above what's already there.
Construction revealed that the resin parts would need LOADS of filler.
As for the metal parts, an equally large amount of filing to achieve an acceptable finish.
I've used vacform canopies previously, fortunately Magna had the foresight to put two into this kit. I only used one of them! The section differed slightly from the profile of the fuselage, so I added tabs just inside the cockpit aperture to assist to fitting. Followed by a bead of filler to fettle it in.
By the time painting started, I was gaining in confidence, this kit would have no more surprises. Oh yeah . . . .
Starting airbrushing it became apparent that masking could lift the paint,  I'd forgotten to wash off the release agent.  A good rub-down with washing-up liquid followed. The rest of the painting was without incident.
This kit contained no decals, fortunately not really needing much. My spares offered the roundels, and a colleague had the rest - result!
By time of the undercarriage, I realised some parts were missing. Nothing that I couldn't make good - but disapointing had I paid for this kit. But it did justify my decision to modify and make compromises with the undercarriage. Just don't tell George Carter!

We have a lot of models of pre-war Glosters at Jet Age, made by a passed former member, so I'll check for a F5/34 when I'm able to return.

Edited - I'm told that Yes, we do have an F5/39.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Jet Age
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm keen to watch this one through Adrian, the F5/34 is one of my Holy Grails, I've bits squirrelled away to scratch one, Blenheim outer wings & engine, Zero fuselage, plastic card & milliput. Now where did I put a spare 3 months. :unsure: :D  I'm sure I'll pick up some hints re details from this build that'll be helpful too. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/05/2021 at 21:45, matford said:

Looks to be a nice kit

It does seem simple and straightforward. Ooh-er, that was tempting Fate, wasn’t it?

On 11/05/2021 at 22:39, theplasticsurgeon said:

My only Magna is this Gloster F9/37.

That’s my only other Magna Models kit! You made a very nice job of it too. If I get time I’d like to build it here. Thanks for the pointers/warnings.

On 12/05/2021 at 00:13, stevehnz said:

F5/34

If you close your eyes and squint a bit, it’s actually a refined Gladiator, like the Hurricane is a refined Fury. I’ve been a fan of this (and the Breda 65) from a very young age, so it’s lovely to have an excuse to build it after all its time in the stash!

I think Planet Models did one too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with the build! It does look like what the Gladiator would have been had it grown up to be a monoplane. And yes, Planet Models make one also, available from the Special Hobby website - I am tempted to buy one. I normally stay away from all-resin kits, but this is so small and simple.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I think Planet Models did one too.

You're right, I've downloaded their colour plans & as many detail bits from their instructions as I could find, should be a great help with my DIY one. Its also quite spendy. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only just caught up to this one as I have been away. Good work on the canopy and tailplane, and it is an interesting build. I have built all the Magna F5/34 kits, and they all came out pretty well apart from the MB2 where the wings had not cured properly and were bendy. A new set of wings were cast from the originals and they at least were rigid. Best of luck with it, you never know quite what Magna present you with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a change from exploding old FROG decals (mind you, what do you expect for under a tenner?) so I’ve picked this up again. The cockpit has had a dose of colour and I’m ready to close it up:

B12-A89-E4-CD51-4486-9486-878044479-AAD.

• Like 6

Well, all modelling is an approximation. In Magna Models case, it seems to be a bit more approximate than the norm:

6-A1-ADFE1-D0-FF-4004-8091-DBC3-C5556579

I’m not going to stress over it. Now I’ve hung the port wing off at that weird angle it’s all a lot better. If I can get a nice smoothish silver finish over it, that will do for me.

It’s meant to have a striking similarity to a Mitsubishi Zero, but I can see a strong resemblance to the Macchi 200.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, all modelling is an approximation. In Magna Models case, it seems to be a bit more approximate than the norm:

6-A1-ADFE1-D0-FF-4004-8091-DBC3-C5556579

I’m not going to stress over it. Now I’ve hung the port wing off at that weird angle it’s all a lot better. If I can get a nice smoothish silver finish over it, that will do for me.

It’s meant to have a striking similarity to a Mitsubishi Zero, but I can see a strong resemblance to the Macchi 200.

Looking good Adrian. The Magna kits have a lot of resin, heavy, but interesting subjects.

Im searching my memory for the correct name; but it also reminds me of a Polish Pre war prototype.

in fact, one that may have flown right at the start of the war.

PZL P-50 Jastrzeb maybe.

Have a vac form of that by Broplan stuck with a friend in the UK…

One day 😉 

Keep up the good work Adrian; I see sanding sticks in your future…

• Like 2

Yes, the P-50.  I have a fairly early Eastern European injection-moulded version.  Apparently the second prototype would have been somewhat different - there is a thread on here about this somewhere, but possibly is stuck in the middle of a P-11/P-24 thread.

Pretty well looks like what other countries tried with a large engine on a small airframe without quite getting out of early 30s design habits.  To my mind the Romanians managed it the best with the IAR 80.  Plenty of other examples to pick your own favourite, but I think the P-50 is probably the closest.  Certainly not the Zero...

• Like 1

Another addition which I have only just found! This type is new to me - but then I am not familiar with most prototypes of any era - but it does look interesting and advanced for its time. Will be keeping a closer eye in future.

P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

Another addition which I have only just found!

Thanks. Your closer attention will be rewarded with lashings of Milliput or P38 - I have the odd one or two gaps to fill!

As Graham and Tony have pointed out, the type is very similar to the above-mentioned P-50, the Severski P-35, the Curtis P-36 Hawk, Fiat G50, Macchi 200 and IAR-80. There’s almost a group build right there!

Regards,
Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got some filler on:

744675-A9-6292-4063-8-CF7-720-A411-CD632

I used car filler, which is a good match to the softness of the resin. Because it dries so fast I divided my grape-sized lump of filler into four pea-sized lumps of filler, then added hardener and mixed each one in sequence.  I’ve sanded it down under a tap and if I can get the canopy made and cowling on this afternoon, it will be ready for paint!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well this hasn’t gone as quickly as I’d hoped. Life and work have most definitely been uncooperative. But the canopy has had some more trimming and is now on:

BF8-F6-A7-C-DBA8-49-D8-9-BB1-1-C9117-ECA

I’m hoping to get a coat of spray primer on tonight and a coat of spray silver on tomorrow, so I should have the weekend to sort out some transfers, prop and wheels…

• Like 4

Late night priming done:

A197-DC9-A-5-AD9-40-AC-A297-A586274-F45-

I’ve got to do some re-scribing across filled joins and some tidying up around canopy and cowling, but I’m pretty happy with it. The scribed panel lines are very fine but quite prominent and uneven, so I may give them a smear of thinned acrylic putty here and there.

• Like 4