1/48 Indian Air Force Roundels etc.?

I've been trying to track down one of the Eduard 1/48 Su-7BMK kits without success.  Primarily for the decal sheet with the Indian Air Force markings.   Anyone know a good source for IAF roundels and fin flashes in 1/48?  They'd be easy to paint with my mask cutter...except matching the colors.  Thanks in advance!

Cameron

10 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

I've been trying to track down one of the Eduard 1/48 Su-7BMK kits without success.  Primarily for the decal sheet with the Indian Air Force markings.   Anyone know a good source for IAF roundels and fin flashes in 1/48?  They'd be easy to paint with my mask cutter...except matching the colors.  Thanks in advance!

Cameron

Hi Cameron

Bright Spark  Decals did a sheet of 1/72nd roundels and flashes, but AFAIK, the proportions remained the same, so can be used in 1/48

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bright-spark-decals-bs1-indian-post-1948-roundels--1128692

1128692-15059-55-pristine.jpg

see  here, this uses the roundels/flashes, which look to be the same size as the Su-7? 

On 07/04/2021 at 18:57, PranayKumar99 said:

Decals are from BrightSpark

as for colours,  perhaps @Linescriber maybe able to give matches? 

FWIW, I used Hobby Boss Seahawk roundels on a Spitfire XIX, and painted the fin flash using Vallejo Model Color, which were

" Vallejo Intermediate Green and Light Orange, with a little Green Brown added to tone it down to match the decals."

49927197816_3f144b0775_b.jpg

I don't know how good a match the Hobby Boss decals are,  but the paint used look a decent match.

HTH

• Like 2

Unfortunately it would seem that I'm too late for the Bright Spark decal sheet.  According to his facebook page he reprinted it in April of 2019 and sold out in May of 2020 and does not plan to reprint the sheet.  Thanks for the tips though!

Cameron

I have the Indian roundels and fin flashes from the 1/48th Academy Mig 21 MF if that's any help?  The orange seems a little bright and I have no idea of how well they settle down etc but if you want them send me a PM.  Visible from around 6 1/2 mins in this video.

Hi Cameron @Cameron Lynch

You are right, the excellent Bright Spark sheet has been out of production for years. I have the 1/72 and I can say it is the best on the market for proportions and colours. Nothing else comes close. I used them recently on my MiG:

Unfortunately mine now start to disintegrate at the slightest whiff of water! I was just lucky with the MiG! So, I commissioned my own with Artic Decals. These are initially for my current Su-7BMK Indian build. They also printed the entire decal set for me after another BMer kindly drew them. If it helps I can send you a colour scan of a BS roundels do you can get the colours. Let me know via PM.

Martin

6 hours ago, neilh said:

I have the Indian roundels and fin flashes from the 1/48th Academy Mig 21 MF if that's any help? 

Sadly the Su-7 roundels were very different in terms of size

It sounds like I'm up the proverbial creek here.  I had that Academy kit and the decals were really only suitable for binning, but I still appreciate the offer.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can run down a set of Eduard decals from that limited edition Su-7 kit.  The decals in it were printed by Cartograph so I know that they're the best you can get.  I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

:). Good luck with that, Cameron. I have considered producing a full Indian set For a limited run and maybe I can include 1/48. I might resurrect the idea :). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

It sounds like I'm up the proverbial creek here.  I had that Academy kit and the decals were really only suitable for binning, but I still appreciate the offer.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can run down a set of Eduard decals from that limited edition Su-7 kit.  The decals in it were printed by Cartograph so I know that they're the best you can get.  I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Try the Wanted section as well. You might be lucky...

I looked up the Eduard kit as I wasn’t aware of it being a 1/72 modeller. Maybe I have missed something but it looks like Eduard forgot the Indian tail flags? And no serial numbers either? 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/edu/kit_edu_1148.shtml

Martin

32 minutes ago, Cameron Lynch said:

You are correct...the specific aircraft they are representing in the kit did not have the tail flash or serials.

Ah, so it’s the red and white striped one? 

Hi Cameron.

I have the IAF decals (roundels and fin flashes) in the Eduard 1/48 MIG 21 (bis) you can have if they help? No idea if the size is wrong for an SU7 but the print quality is excellent.

Happy to post FOC if it helps you out?

Gary

19 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

It sounds like I'm up the proverbial creek here.

On 10/05/2021 at 23:01, Cameron Lynch said:

They'd be easy to paint with my mask cutter...except matching the colors. 

On 11/05/2021 at 09:48, Troy Smith said:

I used Hobby Boss Seahawk roundels on a Spitfire XIX, and painted the fin flash using Vallejo Model Color, which were

Vallejo Intermediate Green and Light Orange, with a little Green Brown added to tone it down to match the decals."

specifically Vallejo Intermediate Green 70.891 and Light Orange 70.911 , with a little Green Brown 70.879

This was a visual match to the Hobby Boss Seahawk decals.   The photo is above showing paint vs decals.  

Might be worth editing the thread heading to "wanted paint matches for Indian AF roundels" 

If someone who is likely to know, it @Linescriber

typed while redcap posted, 

1 minute ago, redcap said:

MIG 21 (bis) you can have if they help? No idea if the size is wrong for an SU7

@RidgeRunner maybe able to shed some light on this?

HTH

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:
9 hours ago, redcap said:

MIG 21 (bis) you can have if they help? No idea if the size is wrong for an SU7

@RidgeRunner maybe able to shed some light on this?

The Fishbed roundels are a different size. In fact they are the polar opposite of the Fitter sizes. Most obvious is the nose roundel which is bigger than anything on a Fishbed. The wing roundels on the Fitter are small. When I am up and about I can send you the 1/72  sizes and you can convert to 1/48, Cameron. 

Maryin

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Fishbed roundels are a different size. In fact they are the polar opposite of the Fitter sizes. Most obvious is the nose roundel which is bigger than anything on a Fishbed. The wing roundels on the Fitter are small. When I am up and about I can send you the 1/72  sizes and you can convert to 1/48, Cameron. 

Maryin

Having measured my Modelsvit Su-7 build from a few years back I used the following in 1/72:

Nose - 11mm dia

Wing - 9mm dia

Flag - 8mm W and 7mm H

Having scanned the Bright Star sheet - the best representation in my view, the hex codes are: #77D1Fe Orange and #108042 Green. 

Regarding serials, remember they carried a very small serial on the nose in addition to the fin.

Martin

On 5/13/2021 at 12:03 AM, exdraken said:

Try the Wanted section as well. You might be lucky...

I certainly would, if I could.  Unfortunately you need 100 posts to be allowed to post there and I'm at about 50.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

I certainly would, if I could.  Unfortunately you need 100 posts to be allowed to post there and I'm at about 50.   

Oh sorry then!

Take your keyboard, vosit the galleries/ RFI section and post on :D

Can't be that hard with all the gorgeous stuff you find here, no?

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Oh sorry then!

Take your keyboard, vosit the galleries/ RFI section and post on :D

Can't be that hard with all the gorgeous stuff you find here, no?

I don't post just to post.  Unless I have a question or something to contribute...I tend to just keep my mouth shut and take it all in.

• Like 3

that is what my BKL/ BKM supposedly come with:

borrowed from here

OEZ_Su-7_3076.jpg

here on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEZ-1-48-decals-Su-7-Original-Decals-/353332700575?_ul=IN

s-l1600.jpg

these are the Eduard decals:

https://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8133

8133-102461.jpg

8133-102769.jpg

not sure about the print quality of the KP ones, they are old. but I'd have some....

the Eduard one are as mentinoed above a bit of limited , as they come without finflash and serial :( 

great thread by the way on the colors you might have seen already:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088117-indian-su-7bmk-colours/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

that is what my BKL/ BKM supposedly come with:

borrowed from here

Hi Werner! Can I ask what colours KP quote for the Indian machine? 

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Werner! Can I ask what colours KP quote for the Indian machine? 

47 Steel Grey

37 Brick  Red

45 Light olive

25 Orange Lining

Whatever you might take from that!

Decals look rather good by the way! Not sure how they"d behave though....